U Grade FAQ

shawn_k

Sith Lord
I've been working on this for a little while now and feel it is finally to the point where I can share it. However, it will probably go through a few more revisions, so if anyone has any ideas for additions/feedback, feel free to contact me.

I find the effects of the U grade sickening, as I know many others do, and when I did the actual number crunching I couldn't believe the results. I hope this will open some eyes to the situation. I'm not trying to bash the U collector, only to inform. It's what they do with that information that counts. I feel that with a web page on this issue I can reach out further to an audience that doesn't join in forum discussion. I hope to make a graphic that people can use in their auctions which they can use to link to the page.

Shawn's AFA FAQ

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
shawn_k said:
I've been working on this for a little while now and feel it is finally to the point where I can share it. However, it will probably go through a few more revisions, so if anyone has any ideas for additions/feedback, feel free to contact me.

I find the effects of the U grade sickening, as I know many others do, and when I did the actual number crunching I couldn't believe the results. I hope this will open some eyes to the situation. I'm not trying to bash the U collector, only to inform. It's what they do with that information that counts. I feel that with a web page on this issue I can reach out further to an audience that doesn't join in forum discussion. I hope to make a graphic that people can use in their auctions which they can use to link to the page.

Shawn's AFA FAQ

Very well done Shawn.

This should be sticky'ed.

Paul-itoy

Jedi Knight
An interesting read for sure.

Just looking at the numbers done in 2009 compared to 2010, it's pretty convincing that this isn't going away anytime soon.

spoons

Grand Master
really good site Shawn - very clearly done too

I'm shocked by those 2010 figures, that's a lot of baggies and cards :shock:

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
Shawn belting read and very informative have you posted this on RS and TIG.

It's one of the reasons I won't do business with certain people any longer , Robbie Mullan being one. Like you say it's their call but it's also my call who I do business with and I steer clear of folk who are killing the hobby.

ODB

Jedi Master
Thats a really informative article and shows that some people just don't care so long as they get what they want or can make a quick profit. Also shows where the AFA's priorities are.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
It's all the truth Shawn. I mean I do not need AFA to tell me a figure is in mint shape when I can see it is sealed on a card or in a baggie. I also agree that even if it is a **** cardback, you destroy it's value to me by removing it from the card, thus destroying yet another sealed figure.

Paul-itoy

Jedi Knight
tiefighterboy said:
I also agree that even if it is a **** cardback, you destroy it's value to me by removing it from the card, thus destroying yet another sealed figure.
Place a rough card in a Star Case and it gets a whole new lease of life. I'd much rather see that over a 'loose' figure anyday.

Vaders_Child

Padawan
Very informative and truthfull site.
I used to be hooked on buying beater cards and sending them to afa,but now i wont do it as the damage done is not worth it.
I think U grading has had its day and the prices are dropping all the time,it was a new thing and a money spinner for a few but as with most things its dying off,the MOC rules and will always rule.
The outcome of all this will be that collectors will eventually have to pay inflated prices on moc's dependeing on popularity for vintage star wars collecting and depending on the strength of the vintage collectors market which has hit a low as of late.
The piece about the DT Vader and Ben has shocked me to the core as i did not think U grading could strike so low,but as has been proved there is nowt as queer as folk and the mind boggling things they will do.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Great effort Shawn, really hope this stops people going down the U root.

PS, I noticed one spelling mistake in the "Those examples are just basic figures. Is there any damage actually being done to anything rare?" second paragraph.

Ohh and I'll sticky this (If I can figure out how)

airjedijamie

Jedi Knight
i can go both ways on this i do have some u grades but i only get u grades if the card is ripped beyond help there was one carded figure i had i got a 4lom done as a u grade because some one had cut the empire logo and the name out of it but then i do have a lot of carded bits that i love and i got a ev9d9 on card but a mouse has had a bit out of the side of the card it got a low grade but i dont care it still a carded figure so

Justin H

Padawan
thats shocking how its increasing all the time, soon though there will be so many graded that the prices will not be worth grading them, i won,t be buying any

shawn_k

Sith Lord
weasel said:
Great effort Shawn, really hope this stops people going down the U root.

PS, I noticed one spelling mistake in the "Those examples are just basic figures. Is there any damage actually being done to anything rare?" second paragraph.

Ohh and I'll sticky this (If I can figure out how)

Cheers! and thanks for telling me about the mistake. I'll see if I can find it and get it fixed.

I just added another section at the bottom of the page directing the user to several of the threads where U grading has been discussed.

Thanks to everyone for the support. I've had a quite few good hits to the article since posting this a week ago. The next step for me is to get a banner created that can be used in ebay auctions to help get the word out to those not on forums. Anyone is free to link to the site.

tigerham

Sith Lord
As I didn't know anything about 'U' grades it's been very educational and know to steer well clear but to be hoenst they've never tickled my fancy :wink:

I think it sacrilege what people are doing, call themselves collectors... like mentioned, think they're just after a nice shiney case :evil:

Me? Yeah I go for graded MOC's for 2 main reasons, to know they're genuine and to preserve the beauty of they're original states as they came like off the production line... not loose in an acrylic case!

So thanks Shawn, well appreciated :)

shawn_k

Sith Lord
I'm sure some of you have seen the debate going on in the AFA section of RS.

At the request of another member, I've added a petition element to the bottom of the FAQ. I invite all who would like to see something done about the U grade to sign. It may not do much, but at least it could give them/us an actual idea of how many collectors do not agree with that part of their service.

tigerham

Sith Lord
Yeah cool, I'll sign. I have a U grade Speeder Biker but those U grades are different surely as they've been pulled from a Crate not a cardback!

Ham

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom