Header image

U Grade FAQ

Information on variations, weapons, cleaning and repair etc
TC-14
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: U Grade FAQ

Postby TC-14 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:36 pm

As a fan returning to collecting for the first time since the 80s, and who had no idea at first about the AFA or indeed U grading, this guide has proved incredibly informative and invaluable.

I'll echo the majority of responses: why would you do it? I suspect all future collectors will look back on this period as a savage and sad time where greed got the better of sense.

I for one will not be going down the grading route, U or otherwise. Has this practice abated somewhat in the last couple of years?
In my ignorance, I have discovered my hastily chosen username is described as being 'of female personality'. Marvellous.

My Feedback viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16162

itfciain
Approved Trader
Approved Trader

Postby itfciain » Fri May 31, 2013 4:33 pm

If you talk to Robbie - who was one of the big U-graders of the past 3-4 years then he will tell you that there is not as much love for them anymore - however a recent sales thread on RS for practically a full set of them did generate a lot of sales so who knows
"I'll probably be broke and homeless but I'll have a hell of a collection!"

For all your display requirements - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26287

And for vintage goodness - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/iainitfc/_i.html?_sop=3&rt=nc

Wild Whiphid
Regular
Regular

Postby Wild Whiphid » Fri May 31, 2013 5:16 pm

Being a "newbie" in vintage collecting, I've never heard of this kind of practice before. But it seems like a waste.
Carded figures are only getting rarer as years go by (lost, opened, U (de)graded or whatever), they aren't producing these anymore...

I am a loose collector myself, for both modern and vintage figures. I like to display figures and hold them in my hands, and collecting loose figures allows me to get more out of a budget. But I'd rather trade a carded figure for loose ones than rip it off and potentially destroying an item that another collector would love to add to his/her collection.
Be mindful of the living force...

TC-14
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby TC-14 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:51 pm

itfciain wrote:If you talk to Robbie - who was one of the big U-graders of the past 3-4 years then he will tell you that there is not as much love for them anymore - however a recent sales thread on RS for practically a full set of them did generate a lot of sales so who knows

Thanks for that, Iain. Despite that recent RS sales thread, it sounds like the trend for this unnecessary practice is going the right way, thankfully.

And Wild Whiphid, I like your U (de)graded quip- quite right :D
In my ignorance, I have discovered my hastily chosen username is described as being 'of female personality'. Marvellous.

My Feedback viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16162

rob71
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby rob71 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:37 am

Seems to me that every figure ripped from a less than perfect card is another piece of history lost, which is a real shame (especially as so many of us would love to have them)... there are plenty ways for people to make money and this has got no place in the hobby

Wild Whiphid
Regular
Regular

Postby Wild Whiphid » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:16 pm

And who decided that a plastic box from AFA is worth anything anyway?
Be mindful of the living force...

db94
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby db94 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:58 pm

Reading through the wealth of information I obviously got pretty angry and the short-sightedness of the individuals destroying moc's but it's also given me a new love for beaters. I'm not planning buying many carded figures and would probably have held out for mint examples but after being made aware off the pointless destruction I feel super protective over the dog eared examples that greedy people use as an excuse to U grade. My wife says it's a bit like loving the battered old VW beetle (Herbie style) because it's got lots of history and previous owners.
My vintage/modern collection viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14191

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:48 pm

I concure with this page.

:!:
FAQ: Ugrading :evil: - http://powerofthetoys.com/afa/
https://www.facebook.com/starwarsforumukpodcast

theslider
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby theslider » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:09 pm

Maulster79 wrote:I concur with this page.

Don't we all?!

8)
Need the following Palitoy carded/reseals:

Zuckuss (45 back import with sticker)

tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby tiefighterboy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:09 am

theslider wrote:
Maulster79 wrote:I concur with this page.

Don't we all?!

8)

Well I would say 98% of us. :wink:

Jedi_june
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Jedi_june » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:46 am

Wild Whiphid wrote:I'd rather trade a carded figure for loose ones than rip it off and potentially destroying an item that another collector would love to add to his/her collection.

I can agree with this 1000000%

Garydo
Regular
Regular

Postby Garydo » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:45 pm

ive recently started collecting again after about 10 years and all this is new news to me and its really sad, I would much rather have a beater MOC than a figure in a plastic box with a grade but that's just me.
Ive seen these on ebay an they fetch some crazy money, why?

From now on when I see a beater im buyin em up :D

lee gray
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lee gray » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:05 pm

Now I am not too fussed either way about U grades myself and am good friends with a guy who likes them but I just see somewhere a U graded yak face with gaffi stick. I would have presumed even if card was a bad beater it would be more valuable carded.

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:12 pm

It's about the history, and the card being original, mocs ...specifically beaters, and reseals, cut or sliced cards should be kept that way, not only to keep them "whole", but they offer up a chance for people like myself to build a collection on a budget, without having to pay silly money :!:
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

slim
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby slim » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:13 pm

i almost cant believe my eyes when i see people paying sky high prices for this u graded nonsense on ebay , how many perfectly good displayable cards are being destroyed for this madness ! surely these over inflated prices wont continue as the bubble has got to burst i think ??

slim
The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion !

Return to “Vintage Reference Library”