Postby weasel » Thu May 19, 2011 9:33 am

Looks good so far!
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Chewie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Getting rid of yellowing?

Postby Chewie » Thu May 19, 2011 10:13 am

Can't wait to see before and after pics :)

Imperial nut
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Imperial nut » Thu May 19, 2011 2:01 pm

the before and after should be up tonight,,

With a bit more research and some discussions with chemically minded mates i have came up with a theory on yellowing.
When i mentioned it to my girlfriend while holding a jar of fizzing stormies she shook her head and commented that i was now a nerd and uncool and i should get out skateboarding asap. :lol:

Anyway here is imperial nuts thesis on Molecular contamination removal from polymers.

when i started getting yellowed stormies i wondered as everyone does are they just dirty. The simple answer is yes, however they are not dirty as we know it.

Often i noticed that they were yellowed on different parts of their bodies or limbs , this is explained by different parts being made from different plastics. And experiements with craft knifes and toothpaste showed that the yellowing was IN the plastic not on it.
Also almost all had a "suntan effect" as they had been exposed only on one side or put simply as if exposeure to a certain direction had cause the yellowing to be predominatly on one side.
This did not always match the seams of the mould and often markedly different in comparison to the whiter side.

So my question was if the body is prone to yellowing due to it being certain type of plastic,, why only one side?? should not all aspects of the plastic be an even colour?

Which brought me to the cause,, i looked at compatabilty charts for differnt material with Hydrogen peroxide and discovered that often it is used for etching plastics and cleaning other polymers.

And the main aspect of the cause of the staining is HEAT.
When a plastic or polymer is exposed to heat its molecues expand leaving microscopic gaps these gap are vunerabale to contamination from particles such as dust and other substances such as sweat and oily residue from human hands.

So this conclusion explains both why the stain is like a Suntan as the area most affected by sun or light source is affected worst by yellowing (think or a figure lying on a shelf exposed to the sunlight or figures in an attic in a box and the ones closest to the nearest heat source yellow more)
It also explains why some figures yellow on different limbs as they are made of different plastic and have a different tolerance to heat than the neighbouring parts.

the process i am using above reverses that process coming a active cleaning solution with the ambient heat that put the dirt there in the first place.

I thought that all this might damage the plastic with frequent and prolonged expansion of the plastic , but actually this happens everyday with all our figures as the expand and contract on our display shelves and from heated lights in or cabinets.

it leaves some questions though ,, what exact plastic did they use for the figures that yellowed,, was it many types? are there some COOs or manufacturers more prone to yellowing,? Is this now chemical dusting??

What do folk think? anyone out there know anything more about plastics than my ramblings?

steve
Who needs a Blue Snag, i want A stormtrooper lined up in the hanger.

aussiejames
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby aussiejames » Thu May 19, 2011 2:16 pm

"was it many types?" at least 2- hard & soft torso.

Imperial nut
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Imperial nut » Thu May 19, 2011 6:58 pm

Yeah james hard and soft torso,, but were the hard and soft torsos individually made of different plastics from time to time.

Any way after 48 hrs of soaking here are the results, with the brownest trooper as a comparison. (he wasnt dipped)

Before;

After ;

as you can see its a marked reduction with no damage to the black paint, i have to admit the best results were in the first 24 hrs , after that they still fizzed but not amazingly so.
I have put in another two ,, one pretty bad one and the brown-brown one.

i will be away for 4 days so i will see what happens when i get back :)

PGowdy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby PGowdy » Thu May 19, 2011 7:28 pm

Great results Steve. The one in the middle is as white as new (except the dodgy black paint).
Former forum member.

Oto
Regular
Regular

Postby Oto » Thu May 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Hmm a clever lighting trick and photoshop? :D :D

Stargeezer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Stargeezer » Fri May 20, 2011 7:11 am

Oto wrote:Hmm a clever lighting trick and photoshop? :D :D

No, peroxide actuallly works and it's also used on other hobbies (like vintage game console collectors use this aswell).

Only thing is, this is something that many collectors consider tampering with the original figure, that why the OP said he would mark them.

But yeah i've tried this aswell and it definitly works.
Capetown wrote:I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience. Much anger in him, like his father. He's not ready.

plantman
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby plantman » Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 am

Looks very good, i wonder if this makes them more likely to dicolour again? like taking the enamel off teeth ect, the protective outer coating.
"These ARE the droids your looking for...now how much for the pair?"

Imperial nut
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Imperial nut » Tue May 24, 2011 3:20 pm

As my theory above suggests the cause is heat and exposure to dust and other particles.
But you might have a point about the re-yellowing but the reaction does not seem to remove any layers of the plastic but chemically sucks (technical term) the disclouration from the pores of the plastic or more accurately from the molecular structure. From what I have recently read on polymers and separately hydrogen peroxide this seems to be the most likely thing goon on

poncho
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby poncho » Wed May 25, 2011 12:05 am

Mr imperial Nut Sir! I tip my hat to you! :D

Imperial nut
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Imperial nut » Wed May 25, 2011 8:39 pm

ponchobelt wrote:Mr imperial Nut Sir! I tip my hat to you! :D

hah thanks ,, i admit i had a little anorakky moment as i am one of those kids who kept asking why???? so when i look something up i go all nuts.

Anyway just came back fro a trip that should have been 4 days but ended up as 6 and i remembered somewhere halfway down a river in slovenia,, " ahh crap the troopers are in the peroxide for 6 days"

cue girlfriend breaking her ass laughing and telling me i will have to pour the out when i get back,,,, well no.
they are fine after a 6 day soak.

pics up later

DarthSwales
Regular
Regular

Postby DarthSwales » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:49 pm

This looks like it does a fantastic job! I think ifI ever do acquire some horribly yellow figures/vehicles then I will try this method.

greedodidntshoot
New User
New User

Postby greedodidntshoot » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:15 am

Very interesting. I look forward to the results of the test... Excellent idea for a posted experiment.
Gary

Always looking or Kenner pre-production Kenobi, Bespin and Cantina Alien pieces.

av6
Regular
Regular

Postby av6 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:05 am

I've tried this on a spare slightly yellowed 8D8 figure that I have. The body of the figure is as white as the day he was made, but the limbs and head had yellowed.
I put him in 6%, 20 vol, Hydrogen Peroxide and within a few hours I could see the difference. It's said that the sun can play a big part in reversing the yellowing effect, but as it was late evening (and no sun), it's just been the peroxide at work.

It's a great trick to get figures back to their former glory, but as it's already been mentioned, it won't be long before the ebay crooks catch on. I can see the quotes now in EVERY crooked sellers listing....

I can GUARANTEE that these figures HAVE NOT been dipped in Hydrogen Peroxide or Retrobright.

Return to “Vintage Reference Library”