Header image

UK customs - Info that might help!!

Information on variations, weapons, cleaning and repair etc
Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: UK customs - Info that might help!!

Postby Joe » Fri May 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Paul-itoy wrote:It's got to be worth trying top get the seller to mark the box in a manner that states the contents are 'vintage' or a similar term, a bit like AFA do when only offering a service. At least if you are charged it might be right first time rather than chasing it up for a refund.

'Old collectible toy' HMRC code 9705000090 5% VAT applicable only.

I wonder if anyone here has done this? Getting the seller to mark the above code somewhere or at least put that description on the customs forms?

I wondered if you were to be so specific it might cause them to be more nosey and perhaps open the box up? (not that they could prove you didn't pay say $100 for $500 worth of toys surely)

I may be encountering this in the future so wanted to know if anyone had successfully done what Paul suggested above, I would rather them charge the correct amount in the first place (5% seems ok to me!) than go through a claims procedure because they don't know how to do their jobs properly!
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

Lee77
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Lee77 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:08 pm

It worked for me Joe. I bought an item from Frank at Final Frontier Toys. When they fill the form out that gets stuck on the box, there's a space that says something like 'destinations tax code' or something like that. It's in that box where they need to put the code. Then in the description box, they need to put vintage collectibles, or words to that effect. It can be a little confusing for the sender, but Final Frontier were really good. The second time, they even marked the value down. I think the value marked, and the insurance amount are two different things, but I could be wrong.
If anyone's got the paperwork from a USA delivery, it would be handy if they could scan it in, then have it as a sticky to email to people who you buy from in America. :D

tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby tiefighterboy » Fri May 04, 2012 8:12 pm

When I send stuff over to the UK, I am as vague in the description as much as the post office will allow (Action figures, toy ship, cards etc). I do this for two reasons. One is here in the states it may come up missing, as if the postal workers see vintage star wars...it may end up in the back of their truck on the way home. The other reason is to save you guys the headache and huge customs charges.

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Fri May 04, 2012 8:56 pm

Lee77 wrote:It worked for me Joe. I bought an item from Frank at Final Frontier Toys. When they fill the form out that gets stuck on the box, there's a space that says something like 'destinations tax code' or something like that. It's in that box where they need to put the code. Then in the description box, they need to put vintage collectibles, or words to that effect. It can be a little confusing for the sender, but Final Frontier were really good. The second time, they even marked the value down. I think the value marked, and the insurance amount are two different things, but I could be wrong.
If anyone's got the paperwork from a USA delivery, it would be handy if they could scan it in, then have it as a sticky to email to people who you buy from in America. :D

Awesome! First hand experience of it working then that's great thanks Lee!

Will definitely try this on the next box that comes over!
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Fri May 04, 2012 9:02 pm

tiefighterboy wrote:When I send stuff over to the UK, I am as vague in the description as much as the post office will allow (Action figures, toy ship, cards etc). I do this for two reasons. One is here in the states it may come up missing, as if the postal workers see vintage star wars...it may end up in the back of their truck on the way home. The other reason is to save you guys the headache and huge customs charges.

Good idea, the code referenced above should enough for the formal side of things and "plastic toys" (as a friend of mine usually writes down) should stop prying eyes!
I'm famous in Poland!

Lee77
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Lee77 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Depends on what type of PLASTIC TOYS they are Joe!!!! You know how some people's minds work!!!!
Sorry, couldn't resist it :lol:

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Fri May 04, 2012 9:36 pm

:oops: :lol:
I'm famous in Poland!

Dark Sith Lord
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Dark Sith Lord » Fri May 04, 2012 9:36 pm

:lol: :lol:
"Ill probably be broke and homeless but I'll have a hell of a collection!"

plantman
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby plantman » Thu May 10, 2012 9:09 am

or even worse if you put "used plastic toys"
"These ARE the droids your looking for...now how much for the pair?"

tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby tiefighterboy » Thu May 10, 2012 12:54 pm

plantman wrote:or even worse if you put "used plastic toys"

The one I just sent you was marked "Toy Vehicle" unsure what body part it will invade. :lol:

plantman
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby plantman » Thu May 10, 2012 2:12 pm

tiefighterboy wrote:
plantman wrote:or even worse if you put "used plastic toys"

The one I just sent you was marked "Toy Vehicle" unsure what body part it will invade. :lol:

As long as you haven't tested it first it will be fine, might sniff it just in case lol :)
"These ARE the droids your looking for...now how much for the pair?"

Nick_IoW
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Nick_IoW » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:41 pm

I have been using this code of late on items from the US (when sellers can be bothered to put it on). If sellers wont do the gift option - this is definitely the way to go.

An example being something I paid around £350 for cameback with Import VAT at £17.26 instead of £70 - so for those sellers who wont mark down get them to do this.

You will still get stuck with the clearance/handling fee of £8.50 (packets/envelopes) and £13.50 (parcels/boxes)

Nick

Jorgen
New User
New User

Postby Jorgen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:33 pm

I live in another eu-country so I asumed this would apply to me to so I looked the number up on the swedish customsoffice homepage and ended up with.......sealproducts!!!!

jimmyp
Regular
Regular

Postby jimmyp » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:53 pm

Just been charged £50 customs fees for 3 figures that are worth no more than £150 :shock: :shock:

Jesus Christ :shock:

Im sick of these border control agents who are just so triger happy nowadays :twisted:

It never used to be like this as ive been importing stuff from the states for years. Just in the past 3 years thay have been grabbing anything. Even stuff ive had sent marked as a gift with a value of $20 dollars. £4 Tax, £8 handling fee :twisted: :twisted: Whats the point.

Anyways ive had enough, have seen this thread and am gonna contest this one. Can anyone provide me with the telephone number you need to contact and speak to somoeone or even a link to the website i need to use.

Thanks alot Dudes :wink:

yak_face
Regular
Regular

Postby yak_face » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:01 pm

hi paid £115 on a loose star wars adding up to £500.

iv paid vat in the past its real stinger. i called them up in the past but they just wont have it. think im gonna call them tomorrow.

any advice anyone can give?

Return to “Vintage Reference Library”