FACTS convention BELGIUM

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
So it just came to my attention that some people are attending FACTS convention in BELGIUM on 18-19 October.

Maybe its an intresting idea for a collectors meeting. I'll be attending on one of those 2 days aswell (haven't decided which one yet).

So if your intrested to to go to the convention check out the website.

http://www.facts.be/

I know this is not the biggest event and maybe not the most appealing for the UK guys, but since a few are allready coming over, maybe some others will join.

Also to all dutchies and belgians here on the boards, this might be a good place to meet up again and have a chat, drink, laugh togheter...

So who is intrested in attending this convention? Arwin, Emiel, Marco, Christian,...???

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Cc4rhu said:
I'll be there with Pete, Stu and possibly Grant. The core of the SWFUK podcast team. :D

Grants coming, he just realised Belgian waffles are from Belgium, not sure what gave it away

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
Ok its decided, i'll be there on sunday.
I am not gonna miss out on this event after missing out on Jedicon early'er this month.

Richard_H

Grand Master
Ok - here's my summary of the weekend. :D

Friday 23:45 - set off for the long drive. ETA at Stu's house was to be 05:30 but the junction on to the A1 where I live was closed. The signs were there! Luckily as I knew the place well I managed to navigate onto the A1 and make great time for the first few hours.
Driving down the A1 signs flash for closed between J18-16. As I'm getting closer I'm praying I turn off before then but hit the dreaded J18. Diversion in place by Milton Keynes and I had to follow the Square shape. This Square disappeared after abour 1/2 a mile but I followed loads of trucks thinking they knew where they were going. My SatNav was screaming at me to turn around until it got pissed off and decided to shut itself down. Marvellous. One by one the trucks turned off and I'm following the last truck which turns into a trading estate. Now 30 mins behind schedule with no SatNav or map. Eventually I manage to find the M11 onto the M25 and I'm 1 hour behind. Tried to ring Grant (phone switched off) and as my iphone lost my numbers during an upgrade I didn't have the other 2. Stu rings and I tell him I can't make 05:30 as I'm 1 hour behind.
After more phone calls we realise we are going to miss the ferry. Best advice is not to head to Stu's but to meet at Dover terminal. Awesome - the A2 is closed which leads straight to Dover. A 10 mile detour through the backwater of England and eventually after driving for 7 hours the team meets up. Just catches the next ferry, slight delay in customs (thank god we weren't taking any little plastic guns) and off for breakfast.
I was so tired I have no memory of the ferry going out other than having breakfast. I can't remember getting back in the car. I had 20 mins sleep from the ferry as we had to the convention. Awesome convention - lots of stuff happening - met Tim (sompeetelay) and some other nice Belgian guys. Met Darren (starzone) and a few guys from Netherlands to talk vintage with. Hilarious to see the worst MOC fake DT Vader and Luke I've ever seen. You would have thought it was drawn and coloured in. They wanted 100 EUROS for each!
Tired we left at 3 ish to head towards the hostel. Belgium is awful to navigate. Hostel was supposed to be 1.4 miles from the con (it was about 9). We drove 4 times in a circle trying different roads to get away from the con. Pete had a little paddy as he threw the SatNav away when Stu complained of his awful navigating but I won't mention that. Or the fact that Stu put in the vaguest address possible into the Satnav.
We arrive at the hostel - looks ok. 3 flights of the steepest, spiral staircase I've ever seen. Stu had to stop 3 times on the way up. Room is basic. Had to clean the pubic hair from the sinks before we could use them but other than that fine. Should we have a sleep before hitting the town. No - 20 mins is enough sleep earlier so off we go.
The most amazing drinks we've ever had. Grant orders some beers. The glasses were washed in front of us, then poured into. A knife cuts the head off. Then they are dipped back into the sink again up to the brim to wash. So we end up with about 1/2 a pint of beer. 1/4 probably contained the head. 1/8 washing up liquid, the rest Stella. Apparently if you drink outdoors in Belgium you can only get 1/2 pints. The big glasses are for indoor only. Weird.
Stu nearly gets ran over by a bus. Now this is surprising as he's only 4ft 2" but the buses have long wing mirrors on them. Stu is saved when a Belgian lady moves him before it hits him. Stu thought he'd scored.
Off to more pubs, like of SW conversation and perving on the locals. About midnight I realise the 20 mins sleep wasn't enough and off I go to the Hostel.
At about 05:30 I hear the others struggling to get in and then BANG. Stu hits the floor. I hear Pete as he complains about stepping over Stu to get into bed. No sign of Grant who may or may not be there. I couldn't be arsed to check and fell back asleep. Stu snores! Big style. Woken up at 7 and Stu and Pete are just alive. Grant is in bed somewhere.
Head off to a wonderful breakfast of bread (white and brown) butter, jam, milk and water. You kidding me! Head off to the market to kill a bit of time, full of Belgian tat.
Back to the hostel, climbed the 10,000 stairs. Doors locked. Head back downstairs to see the smeggers comatose over a table complaining about their bread and water.
Check out - off to Con for day 2.
We all get in and then Grant goes back to the car to die for a few hours. Pete and Stu queue 2 1/2 hours for Carrie Fisher's autograph. Queue closed as they are 10 from the front. She's coming back after dinner and photo shoot. Me Denis (Stargeezer) which was great. See Carrie outside of the con having a crafty fag. As soon as I spot her the security moved her. Probably for the best as Pete was there.
Grant resurfaces and we leave once Carrie signs the autographs. Met Ben (or was it droopy McCool?) there. He didn't have a lot to say.
Drive back was fine. No issues at ferry apart from loads of school kids. Back to Stu's and off home.
got home at 00:45. Very tired the next day.
A great con and the road trip was awesome. Loads of great laughs and moments.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Great weekend - lovely to meet Tim and the rest of the lads from Teekay 421, Dennis (stargeezer) and Darren from Star Zone Toys. As well as many other random Dutch and Belgian Star Wars fans, hell even the Belgian man that was trying to talk me into playing quidditch was a real nice bloke.

We drank plenty of beer

imagejpg3_zps4a8bfd1f.jpg

Got to look at a repro yak first hand- totally horrid, sticky and vile.

imagejpg1_zps681dcaaa.jpg

Some of the greatest beater figures were on sale

imagejpg2_zps58d434b3.jpg

Got to chat to some fit Dutch girls

imagejpg1_zps863d51be.jpg

And more importantly got to meet Princess Leia, love her so much

Other things I learnt from Belgium

Roads are horrendous to navigate
As above but even worse with Pete doing the map reading
You get a free shot of detergent with every beer
They eat bread and water for breakfast
None of the podcast team lifts you into bed when falling over and falling asleep on a hard wooden floor.
Cosplay is bad for the eyes
Grant makes you buy things (only been there 5 minutes)
Snaffle Snaffle

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom