Star Wars inspired Gala

penistonegala

Youngling
I would be interested in any ideas people can suggest for our Star Wars inspired gala (Penistone, South Yorkshire, UK) on Sunday 11 June 2017.

The outline plan for us to have loads of Star Wars floats passing through the centre of town at 12pm (designed by local schools etc). And we're then having the Gala on the showfield, with a marquee and food/drink stalls. The event will run till 4pm.

Our current plan is to fill the marquee with Star Wars inspired games for kids (Destroy the Deathstar high riser, Nerf Gun Stormtrooper training, Navigate through Hyperspace large wire buzzer game, make your own light sabre etc). Outside we'll have giant inflatable "light sabre" duels (a la Gladiators) for the adults and bouncy hopper Xwing races.

We've spoken with some chaps that turn up as Stormtroopers etc - they are sounding very keen so we're expecting quite a few of them at the event. I've contacted some chaps in the south west (Ludosports) who do Light Saber classes and they sounded keen to attend and to do a display and maybe some classes. We have a yoga teacher leading a Yoda yoga class. We're also planning on putting on a Wipeout style "Last Man Standing" game for people in Star Wars fancy dress to try to hone their Jedi skills. We're trying to get our local majorettes to do a Dark Side / Light Side dance off. We also have a medieval re-enactment society doing a medieval re-enactment of some of Star Wars for us. There will also be all your typical Gala stalls (including Star Wars inspired apparel) and fun fair rides.

We don't have a big budget - but would welcome some other ideas. :)

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Sounds like a great idea interested in going not to far from me. Could you afford actors Like Paul Blake (Greedo) or Femi Taylor (Olla)? A find R2D2 type treasure hunt.

penistonegala

Youngling
Great suggestions - thanks. I've just contacted Femi via FB (but I'm struggling to find contact details for Paul Blake). Don't know if we'd have the budget - but certainly worth an ask.

We're planning on doing a treasure hunt locally in the run up to the event - but I like the idea of maybe having one on the day, too.

As another thought, do you know of anyone who has a collection of SW memorabilia, who might be interested in showing it off?

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
No problem, Have you tried Dave Prowse? I know the guy who runs Sci Fi Scarborough he maybe able to put you in touch with some actors. Have met Femi a couple of times now a lovely lady she really adds glow to the conventions with her winning smile. You could do a spot the Droid competition or something. There is this guy who has a photo shoot. Could try contacting Chris Bunn?

https://twitter.com/scifiscarbs?lang=en-gb

Not locally sorry. You could ask people to send pictures of their collection and have them posted up on a board or something

Attachments

• 20161106_115315.jpg
    20161106_115315.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 917
  • 20151128_115639.jpg
    20151128_115639.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 917

penistonegala

Youngling
I tried David Prowse before Christmas but didn't get a reply - and his website said he's not able to do future Star Wars conventions now due to ill health, I'm afraid.

It'd be great if you're able to introduce me to the bloke who organises the Scarborough event. My email is [email protected] - although I'm a little nervous about how much it might cost to get actors there (hence why I've tended try to put on family games/activities). Even if we're not able to get (many) actors he might have some other suggestions for other fun stuff that's worked in the past.

I love the photos of those droids btw. I'll take a look at your suggestion of contacting that chap, too.

Cheers
Jon

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Hi Jon,

No problem, see what I can do, the guy who runs it is my cousin Steve. Will have a word with him.

penistonegala

Youngling
That's great - thanks. Hope Steve can help. (Chris Bunn is a legend btw. He's happy to come along to the event. Thanks for the recommendation!) Do you know who owns the droid replicas in the photo you posted? It would be amazing to get something like that along. Thanks again for all your support and suggestions.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Hi Jon,

No sorry Steve might know will pop down to see him today. BTW would you be interested in coming to Sci Fi Scarborough? I'll be helping out there and would be great to meet more forum members and would love to come to the Gala sounds great. Another attraction that always gets peoples attention is the R2D2 builders club those guys are great.

Sorry not sure Steve might know will ask him. He had the Jabba display and speeder bike display for photo shoots they were ace.

penistonegala

Youngling
Wow - yes please! That would be amazing.

(Btw - Steve (from Scarborough) made contact but then seems to have gone quiet. If he has any suggestions, I'm all ears!)

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Hi mate, sorry Paul won't be ale to make that week as he is in Warsaw, he sends his regards and thinks its a smashing idea.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom