Anyone know why the 8D8 prop from ROTJ was repainted?

Joe

Grand Master
This is something I should probably know but not being very into this side of Star Wars I rarely read up on anything related to the design/costumes and prop related stuff.

This is what he looked like in ROTJ:

BPnX9ZaCMAAPmDx.jpg

8D8_btm.jpg

You can see the brown/red pattern on the torso was only on one side.

Yet the Star Wars wiki page thing has this image:

8d8.jpg

If you look closely though you can still see the original shape of the symbol underneath the paint on the left side.

The prop that was used in the identities exhibition seems to be the same as the one above but seems to have been repainted/restored at some point:

469208971-the-costume-of-character-8d8-from-the-star-gettyimages.jpg

So as per the title of this thread, does anyone know why (and when) he got a repaint that deviated from his original look? I haven't been able to find many pictures of him post ROTJ outside of this one:

B3iLXhJIUAAt6eW.jpg

However, you really can't see much of him or his paint scheme in that picture :(

Perhaps it's been discussed somewhere on RS or appears in a book - appreciate any info or help!

Joe

Grand Master
He had the correct paint scheme in the clone wars episode he appeared in:

J0-N0-EP.png

and all toy/figural releases have also true to the film version too (Kenner original, Kenner POTF2, Galoob Micro Machines, Vinylmation..even the latest Disney badge!)

Actually, I remembered something while I was thinking about all of this today. There is an entry on starwars.wikia.com for his droid type, the smelter droid: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/8D_smelter_droid

The paint scheme is the same as the prop that does the rounds with the Identities exhibition:

8D8_negtd.png

So perhaps the repaint of the original to a more generic smelter droid look was done post ROTJ for something else that was planned? Or maybe so it could be used within an attraction at some point? (thinking of Star Tours or something).

I wonder how many 8D8 props are out there which have connections to ROTJ..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom