Painting - Learning from one’s mistakes

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I've had a bit of a funny one today trying to spray paint a toy gun for a cosplay costume. I've been making and painting things all my life and every now and then it all goes tits up..! You make mistakes through lack of knowledge, but that is learning. So anyway I've got this massive plastic six shooter Dirty Harry type gun and I want to make it look metal silver. So I rubbed it down with a very fine sandpaper then sprayed it with white primer. Once that was dry I sprayed a couple of thin coats of chrome spray paint. At this point it looked the nuts, nice and shiny and good enough for what I need. After that was dry I thought I'd clear lacquer it to protect the surface. Not a good idea, for some reason it's ****ed it up and turned it light grey. I don't know why, my guess is maybe you can't clearcoat a chrome finish because it's already shiny. Or maybe I didn't let it dry enough. Maybe the paints and lacquer aren't compatible. The finish is nice but not metal looking so now I'll have to rub it with a fine grit paper and re-spray it chrome again! Any pearls of wisdom on this matter appreciated.

C617CB80-FE71-4F25-8348-C34AFAA2BC62.jpeg

2367E167-8290-4333-B15A-F400BA7B96BA.jpeg

F12AF0CD-C989-41E0-A09C-29048D79318E.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom