Talk about new Star Wars movie, do not read if you have NOT seen it

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Please do not read if you have not seen the movie.

Ok I have seen the movie the 16th here in denmark. Me and my friend thought it was amazing, ok it would never be as good as it was in the old days. But it was awesome and much better than episode 1,2 and 3.

The only thing I did not like was Han Solo get killed :( Who the **** will be the funny guy in episode 8 and 9 ?

Ok and maybe rey learned the force to fast :shock: :lol:

Kylo is the son of solo and leia, but what is rey. Me and my friend thought could she be the daughter of luke without knowing it ?

I love the old ships back again X-Wings, star destroyers, tie fighters etc. etc. and the Falcon 8)

Also great to R2-D2 and C-3PO as the funny guys, chewie, leia, luke, admiral ackbar and did we also see Nien Nunb ?

The music was fantastic and I can't wait to 2017 or the movie about the death star plans in 2016 :lol:

A+ from me 8)

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Lars you NEED to put a spoiler alert on this subject title ASAP mate, There are still a whole bunch of folk on here that won't have the opportunity to see this film for a few days even a week. Either that or edit your post so as to remove the details.

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Absolutely no idea what I feel about the film - can't make make my mind up - will probably have to see it again. Parts of it felt too much like Abrams Star Trek offerings... On the whole I think I'm quite disappointed.

kieatky

Jedi Master
Lars you may want to edit your post fella as it gives away far too much of the key points of the film and may be unfair to someone who accidently clicks on the thread :shock:

As far as my opinion of the film goes.... I did thoroughly enjoy it but ........ not a patch on the originals, I just didn't get that feeling we all get from watching the original trilogy and to be honest I don't think I ever will from any modern day incarnation :roll:

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Ok, so we can discuss spoilers in this thread? I have been waiting for this.....

Lee Gregory said:
Was just like Watching Star Wars and for that reason really enjoyed it

There is good reason for that. You DID just watch Star Wars. And Empire. And Jedi. And even a bit of the PT. All rolled into one. And this is why some will love it (it feels like the originals) and why some (like me) will feel it is nothing other than a 100% ripoff, or as I like to say, a big budget expanded universe fan fiction using Lucas's ideas.

This is from an email I sent to someone the other day discussing this exact subject.

Rey = young innocent with no parents on desert planet who discovers she is Force sensitive and becomes the main hero = Luke

Kylo Ren = former Jedi apprentice who falls to the Dark Side, acquires a black outfit and red lightsaber, and becomes the real villain's #1 henchman = Darth Vader

Finn = guy who escapes big ship in the beginning of the movie, hooks up with lost young hero on desert planet, and is used mostly as comedic relief after that = C-3PO

BB-8 = smartass little droid who contains vital information and because of that is being hunted by bad guys = R2-D2

Maz = small alien who speaks in riddles and focuses young hero as to their destiny = Yoda

Starkiller Base = giant planet modified to become destructive force used to wipe out Rebel base = Death Star I AND II

Starkiller Base = ice planet = Hoth

Starkiller Base = having a weakness exposed in a trench that fighter spacecraft can infiltrate and blow the whole damn thing up = Death Star I

Captain Phasma = mysterious soldier employed by the Empire hunting down heroes that wears a unique suit of armor with a cape over one shoulder that we only see a little of = Boba Fett

Luke Goes Into Seclusion On A Remote Island = where he goes after his failure = Yoda Goes To Dagobah

General Hux = Nazi-like leader in charge of Starkiller Base (ie Death Star I) who is shown to be disagreeable to Klo Ren (Darth Vader) - Grand Mofff Tarkin

Snoke = mysterious leader seen mostly in hologram form seated on a throne and is the true leader of the bad guys = Emperor

Poe = Rebel pilot who is an unsung hero and plays a vital role in the destruction of Starkiller Base (ie Death Star II) = Wedge Antilles

Kylo Ren vs Han Solo = young former Jedi turned Sith kills older father with lightsaber blow after father tries to convince him to let go of his hatred = Vader vs Obi-Wan

Leia = strong female leader who convinces man close to her to go and try to convert bad guy back to good = Leia (to Luke on Endor)

Rey Obtains Millennium Falcon = hero goes to junk shop, meets with slimy junk dealer, finds an unexpected friend, and ends up finding ship (or important part of one) that gets them off desert planet = Qui-Gon goes to Mos Espa, meets Watto, discovers Anakin, and finds hyperdrive he needs to get off Tatooine

Max Von Sydow's character = person who supplies Poe/BB-8 with info the bad guys REALLY want, before being killed by Kylo Ren very early into movie = Captain Antilles, transporting Leia who provides R2-D2 with info the bad guys REALLY want, before being killed by Vader very early into movie

Than there's all the bits of fan service/cameos/Easter eggs. X-Wings, TIE Fighters, Star Destroyers, Chewbacca, Ackbar, Nien Nunb, various bits of dialogue, etc.

Did I miss anything? Is there ANYTHING original in this movie?

Ian

threesheepio

Padawan
Just back.

I really enjoyed it but agree it is very derivative of the OT.

Need to digest, reconstruct and probably see it again before I truly make my mind up, but it's streets ahead of that prequel pish.

Actually want to see the next one, so that's good. Only thing I'm not sure about is who is Max von Sydow's character? Did I miss something?

Oh, and Daisy Ridley would get it six ways from Sunday :twisted:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just back home from first viewing. My feelings about it are complex and it's a lot to process, but here's my own initial brain dump:

Main thing I took away was that it felt like Star Wars: not only the characters but the ships, sets, music and plot all did that. Although there is so much of the originals in there it has a tendency to feel a little lazy at times.

Overall, very exciting. I think the only thing that didn't really fit was me; I'm not 7 anymore so I did miss the "love every last second" of it. That's not the film's fault, that's life! There are some plot issues I have (really, really big ones) but I'm happy enough to ignore them for what it is. And the CGI creatures still annoy me as they just remind me of the prequels.

Personally, I can't put it in 3rd place after ESB and SW, but it is certainly worthy of a place up there with those three.

I think a new generation are going to absolutely love it and love it the same way we love the OT. Abrams has rescued the franchise from the filth that was the prequels, I just hope he can build on the characters (some brilliantly promising ones) and deliver a hammer blow with VIII.

I'd give it about 4/5.

Oh, I have my second viewing in 6 hrs. Must get some sleep.

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Abrams has got form in that respect - the last Star Trek movie was a reboot of an earlier one. The Phasma character had the potential to be a great addition but added nothing which was disappointing - absolutely loved the hearing the ships again; that was special. Thought Rey and Finn were very good together.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Ian,

Having just seen the film I agree there are a couple of things that are similar in feel to previous films, but you are so out with some of your comparisons. I don't think you can make a fair judgement based on a few lines of spoiler you read on the Internet. You can't say you don't like the taste of something till you have tried it. Just because someone told you it tastes like ****, and you think it looks like ****, doesn't mean it is ****.

The film felt far more like Star Wars then the prequels ever did. The environments, characters, locations. the whole universe felt familiar. This is what I wanted. It's supposed to be a sequel.

I do not feel like I have watched a film with a regurgitated plot. I enjoyed it. It had flaws, but then if you look at all six previous films, they had flaws.

I want more. I am already looking forward to seeing it again on Saturday.

Leemcl

Jedi Master
My Christmas present this year was the death of the greatest hero in film history. That alone took so much from me that I utterly don't feel able to say i love it. Finn could have died, Rey, Whoever....but Solo is Solo and we will never see Luke and Han on screen together again now, that feels wrong to me.

The tone of the film is a good match to the original feel, but from the start we are shown Finn / Rey etc and the plot screams "care about these youngsters" but honestly I did not really care. I cared about Han and Chewie...probably my failing......franchises are built on youth !

sith-smith

Grand Master
I knew solo was probably going to die...really didn't want it to happen.

Overall I think I'm going with...ok.

I liked the look of much of it. Felt closer to the originals than the prequels.

But too many times I did find myself saying...'what the hell..' as things seemed to jump too fast through scenes and a bit repetitive in places in terms of OT rehash.

I think in many ways I prefer revenge of the sith.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just home - totally disappointed
Ian you have nailed it for me.

Major factor was the music - just didn't click with me, didn't sound like a SW film (apart from the obvious Han Leia parts)
Weak story, very rushed, nope not impressed. Have tickets for another showing tomorrow but I'll be giving them away.

Oh and ****in hated the Daniel Craig cameo!!!

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Mr-shifter said:
Ian,

Having just seen the film I agree there are a couple of things that are similar in feel to previous films, but you are so out with some of your comparisons.

db94 said:
Just home - totally disappointed
Ian you have nailed it for me.

This is what I expected. Some of you are going to absolutely love it. Others are going to hate it. I think it's going to depend on just how much you feel it was a tribute to the originals vs plagiarizing them.

For those of you who loved it - awesome, and I am very happy for you. Honestly. And for the others, I feel bad. No gloating from me - it makes me sad more than anything else that what I anticipated is true for some of you. :(

Mr-shifter, you're right that I am basing the context on spoilers (89 pages - not a few lines by the way), but which comparisons do you feel I was out on? Honest question.

Ian

Fishtalk

Jedi Knight
I really should sleep but I'm in the slightly dissapointed camp. Yes, it looked and sounded like the Star Wars we love, that was a given. I didn't like the music, I didn't with the Prequels. They tried so hard to make it OT it was a virtual remake, complete with a bigger and better Death Star with basically the same weakness. The wasted Captain Phasma Character, Supreme Leader Snoke was a bit of a letdown.

Maybe I'll feel different after I've slept on it, and I should see it again to form a proper opinion, but I'm in no hurry to see it again.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I thought it was pretty good.

I thought it started of great and I found the early Rey scenes genuinely quite sweet. As it went on, I could have done with less of the Star Wars Greatest Hits, but I expected them. I expected it to be pretty good but not excellent. And that's what I got. And I'll happily take more of them. I hope kids love it and are excited by it to silly degrees. That'll be a real test of its mettle.

poncho

Grand Master
I liked it :) alot to take in.alot of nods to the OT but hey why not, jj was bridging the gap for old and new fans

Ian - have you been digging round for spoilers prior to the release? Thats just boring! You could spend your time better by just watching it in the cinema :roll:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom