Toys v Film

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
I've not exactly studied the new toys and only seen the film twice, but from what I can see, there was a great deal of "minirig" about some of the pre release toys? Things like the crowd control two legged thing and the First Order Snowspeeder (although I think a stationary one was on screen in the background for 1 second).

There's probably more but I've not seen much of the toy line.

And have they not restricted themselves by not re-introducing the A, B and Y Wings and the Tie Interceptor and Bomber? And surely, 30 yrs on the Tie Advanced could have made it's big screen debut?

I guess some of these are answered by the fact TFA was SW/ESB/ROTJ "Lite"; a bare bones copy of the originals, if you will, so why complicate things with other ships? Also, perhaps it's a case of the toy market now being different to that of 38 years ago.

Hopefully it's not because JJ is so short of ideas he has to string out the connections to the OT by spreading things like the ships out across rhe films! Just kidding ;)

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
naughtyjedi said:
There's a rebels episode about the Bwing... It's all about the Bwing... It's pretty awesome.

The more I hear about Rebels and Clone Wars the more I think I'm going to have to do some concerted cartoon viewing.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I saw a load of the figures last week and today in Tescos.. (bought a Stormy, whoops!) and noticed there's a few figures of characters I don't even remember seeing in the film and no figures of Han, Chewie, Leia, Luke, C3PO or R2. Basically no figures of any of the original characters, just all the new characters. Have never seen a BB8 3 3/4 figure either.

afsupplies

Padawan
Constable Zuvio!
3 3/4" BB-8 comes in a Mission Series 2-pack (technically a 3 pack) with "Unkar's Thug and Jakku Scavenger" (basically the 2 guys Rey beats up who throw a net on BB-8).

I think that the bigger ships just don't sell well at the moment. All of the previous waves of Alpha Series ships ended up on clearance, especially the Rebels ships. Parents don't want to spend that much and collectors are smart enough to get them on clearance. The massive X-Wing and Falcon sold well because they were cheap and massive and didn't have lots of fiddly parts that fell off or got lost. I think the "mini-rig" solution is perfect, a figure and vehicle for £10 - £15 is perfect pricing for parents.

Oh and Rebels is a great show. Clone Wars was hard work for me, very disjointed and very hit and miss until seasons 5 and 6.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I managed to get a BB-8 in that pack today at smyths, got it for my son for Christmas. The figures are to expensive, the best way to by them is in multi packs. :D Also got my son a Kilo Ren when they first came out, head always falls off and the saber snapped on day of getting him. :|

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
There is a 12 inch Poe with speeder.
Dark Trooper with speeder bike.
Snowtrooper with snow speeder
AT-ST looking thing

Constable thingy- (or was he the getting stabbed in the flashback scene)

I haven't checked the releases but I remember seeing these on Force Friday.

Captain Phasma had green flora in the artwork.

I feel that a ton was cut from this film.

tundra9

Sith Lord
Got phasma, stormie and a snowtrooper when I went to the cinema, they sure don't make them like they used to. But love the new design for the snow and flametroopers, very sleek.
Was hoping to see phasma do some hardcore fighting, so she really didn't have to be in the movie at all, a real letdown.

afsupplies

Padawan
theforceuk said:
I managed to get a BB-8 in that pack today at smyths, got it for my son for Christmas. The figures are to expensive, the best way to by them is in multi packs. :D
I can't help but think they'd be a few quid cheaper without all the "armor up" nonsense.

Grant_C said:
Constable thingy- (or was he the getting stabbed in the flashback scene)
- That wasn't him according to Pablo Hidalgo. http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Where_The_Heck_In_The_Force_Awakens_Is_Constable_Zuvio_167275.asp

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I was also surprised to see no Han, Leia etc. I think it's an utter pisstake that they are £9.99 here, yet only $7.99 in America. That's double the price!

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
Captain Phasma had green flora in the artwork.

I feel that a ton was cut from this film.

A 20 second scene of Phasma at Maz's castle shooting down some of the cantina aliens we just saw would have made her a much more vicious character. There is a promo shot of her at the destroyed gates of Maz's place.

I think from what we saw in trailers and read in some spoiler leaks, the whole Maz Kanata scene has been altered and time cut considerably out of it. Which is a shame, as I dont think another 5-10 minutes would have stopped the film flying.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
I was also surprised to see no Han, Leia etc. I think it's an utter pisstake that they are £9.99 here, yet only $7.99 in America. That's double the price!

Starting to look clear at how hasbro and the distributers are gearing up for xmas. Kids arent going to be wanting a 60year old carrie fisher figure, they want the sexy characters. So pegs are full of Kylo, Stormies etc.

Then after xmas the collectors of all ages will get those other waves.

Why is that even though Zuvio has been as good as cut out, do I suddenly want to buy him as a figure. Weird...

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I was chatting to a bloke in my childhood toy shop and he said their is a second wave of figures coming out in January. Some small toy shops they are £12.99 each. :shock:

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Did anyone spot the Disney Theme Park Astromech Droids in the film?

http://yakfaceforums.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/2015droidfactory_astros.jpg

afsupplies

Padawan
Dark Sith Lord said:
Did anyone spot the Disney Theme Park Astromech Droids in the film?

http://yakfaceforums.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/2015droidfactory_astros.jpg
I was wondering that myself (as I have 2 sets in stock on my site at the moment *plug plug*). I didn't see them but I'll be looking out for them on my second viewing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom