Captain Phasma update - possible spoiler although not quite :D

Joe

Grand Master
It looks like most people were upset about Captain Phasma not having much screen time BUT according to Kathleen Kennedy - she's going to be in the next film: http://www.techinsider.io/star-wars-the-force-awakens-complaint-2015-12 & http://uk.businessinsider.com/star-wars-looking-to-hire-a-female-director-2015-12?_ga=1.195387372.139868530.1449788906?r=US&IR=T

Which is good news for sure but I think TFA would have been a stronger film if they had given her more screen time and something a bit more interesting to do than get captured and turn off the shields :lol: Did she even fire her gun? :lol:

S117

Youngling
I almost feel like she shouldn't have even been in TFA with how pointless her screen time actually was. I do hope we see her again though.

lejackal

Grand Master
It did seem a wasted casting of a talented actress, for the time she was in the film and the complexity of the dialogue they probably could've bunged someone from Eastenders a tenner to do it.
That said if there is more to come then happy days with the casting.

Joe

Grand Master
Yeah I would like to see her again, I don't think you can hype a character that much before a film and then do what they did with her in TFA, just seems a waste to me! It was a great costume too, really set her apart from the rest of the stormies. Perhaps it is a possibility that some scenes which featured her were cut?

On the subject of scenes being cut out due to the length of the movie (it's been mentioned in this section in the big thread before and I also kind of felt that some scenes may well have been severely trimmed) how bad would that suck if you were the actor that had filmed them? Especially once you go to see it at the Premier for the first time and realise your 20 mins worth has been reduced to like 7 mins.. lol!

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
I was surprised they didn't give her the scene with the fight with Finn when he was battered by the Stormie, would have set up her character as a true badass

afsupplies

Padawan
Joe said:
On the subject of scenes being cut out due to the length of the movie (it's been mentioned in this section in the big thread before and I also kind of felt that some scenes may well have been severely trimmed) how bad would that suck if you were the actor that had filmed them? Especially once you go to see it at the Premier for the first time and realise your 20 mins worth has been reduced to like 7 mins.. lol!
Like Rogue in X-Men: Days of Future Past... or Constable Zuvio? :D

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Stuart Skinner said:
I was surprised they didn't give her the scene with the fight with Finn when he was battered by the Stormie, would have set up her character as a true badass

Agreed! Would've been perfect!

Joe

Grand Master
Agreed! Wasn't a bad fight but would have been miles better if he had to face her..especially as she was the one that ordered him to send his blaster in for inspection after the Jakku mission and then later spoke to hux/kylo about it when they worked out he had helped Poe escape etc

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Yes, it would have been completion of that story arc.

They could have even changed the ending and had her escape instead of getting shot like the Stormtrooper did. The scene (and movie) both screamed out for a Finn vs Phasma confrontation at some point, and not the kidnapping/demand to lower the shields we got.

Ian

Joe

Grand Master
I almost want someone to go back and redo that scene now..doh! Blame Stuart for having a better script idea than JJ :)

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
Stuart Skinner said:

Exactly what I thought - total missed opportunity :(

I'm just not sure how they can grow her character going forward without it feeling a little forced.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I think she should have been in it more for sure, especially after bigging her up in the trailers. Personally I think Phasma should have been a man, it would have given the character more weight and the great looking costume/armour would have worked better for me. When she opened her mouth I was a bit disappointed, she sounds like the posh agency bird in the Hitman video game. I imagined him as a bad ass merc underneath all covered in scars, hired by the first order to train and brutalise the soldiery. You have to give a character like that some clout by making them do something nasty near the beginning, but they didn't. They could have also given her more of a relationship with Kylo Ren or something to make her more interesting. As mentioned though, maybe they're saving her for the next one 8)

x-pack

Grand Master
Daft question but the blaster inspection thing, would it have revealed the Fin didn't fire during the village battle? Was that the point of ordering a blaster inspection?

That orange Yoda person should have been given less screen time and Phasma more :)

Joe

Grand Master
x-pack said:
Daft question but the blaster inspection thing, would it have revealed the Fin didn't fire during the village battle? Was that the point of ordering a blaster inspection?

That orange Yoda person should have been given less screen time and Phasma more :)

That's exactly what I thought the reason was too but then nothing more was said about the fact that he hadn't fired a single shot, odd (unless it was cut?).

I was expecting Phasma to report her findings about Finn to Ren or Hux but it just never happened.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
In the discussion about Finn between Phasma and (was it) Hux(?) it's mentioned he was ordered to report to her unit and found to be in need of (and I can't remember the term but something menacing like) "reindoctrination". I think it's mentioned that he never arrived. I guess on his way he got distracted, freed Poe and legged it. I should imagine that there was some more that ended up on the cutting room floor.

I'm thinking we'll see this version on Blu-ray in the next few months and then, what? Another version with the extra 20-30 minutes rumoured to be out there or do you think the mouse will take the mickey and go for another cinematic release first?? My money would be on this version and then later in the year as the hype builds for Rogue One a Director's Cut version.

x-pack

Grand Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
In the discussion about Finn between Phasma and (was it) Hux(?) it's mentioned he was ordered to report to her unit and found to be in need of (and I can't remember the term but something menacing like) "reindoctrination". I think it's mentioned that he never arrived. I guess on his way he got distracted, freed Poe and legged it. I should imagine that there was some more that ended up on the cutting room floor.

I'm thinking we'll see this version on Blu-ray in the next few months and then, what? Another version with the extra 20-30 minutes rumoured to be out there or do you think the mouse will take the mickey and go for another cinematic release first?? My money would be on this version and then later in the year as the hype builds for Rogue One a Director's Cut version.

The blaster inspection thing could have created some great scenes. Very tense moments and then a cool chase with Phasma leading to the Tie Fighter escape thing. I wouldn't find it at all surprising to discover a mountain of scenes were cut. In my opinion the film felt quite long ...not boring long. Just quite a long film.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom