Header image

Where do you rank the seven movies now?

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
Ian_C
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Where do you rank the seven movies now?

Postby Ian_C » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:28 pm

theforceuk wrote:1) A New Hope
2) The Empire Strikes Back
3) Revenge Of The Sith
4) Return Of The Jedi
5) The Force Awakens
6) The Phantum Menace
7 Attack Of The Clones

I'm no film critic, so I'm not saying these are the best in order just my favourite to watch. I've only watched TFA once so it might move up but the more I think about it the less I like it. I mean we wait 10 years for a new Star Wars film and they end up blowing the Death Star up for the third time. I did enjoy it though and I'm wandering if the 3am thing has a lot to do with it, as I'm usually in bed by 11. :lol:

Very similar here. I put TPM slightly ahead of TFA, which is just slightly ahead of AOTC, and ESB ahead of ANH. Otherwise, same list.

Ian
I've paid my dues
Time after time.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And bad mistakes ‒
I've made a few.
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face
But I've come through.

Come visit us - www.tantivexi.com

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:36 pm

1. ANH
2. ESB
3. ROTJ
4. TFA
5. ROTS
6. TPM
7. AOTC
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

winnebago88
New User
New User

Postby winnebago88 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:05 pm

1- ROTJ
2- TFA
3- ESB
4- ANH
5- ROTS
6- AOTC
7- TPM
"But with the blast shield down, I can't even see! How am I supposed to fight?"

CRAZYHAZY
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby CRAZYHAZY » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:19 pm

1 ESB
2 SW
3 ROTJ
4 TFA

Sorry the prequels don't exist I'm my world.
TFA

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:26 pm

I feel TFA is separate from the first 6 as it's not the work of George Lucas, as any Star Wars film from now on will be for me. :)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Caswellbot
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Caswellbot » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:39 pm

Hmmm. There's only four for me

1. Esb
2. Rotj
3. Star wars
4. Tfa

Jedi is a guilty pleasure of mine. I hammered watching as a kid for the scenes in jabbas palace. No issues with ewoks here until the singing and dancing. As a kid I guess I sympathized with them. Cute fuzzy David's versus goliath. plus Jedi has the final fight between Vader and Luke , Vader finally showing compassion for his son by killing the emperor. Very powerful scene that and lovely dialogue between Vader and Luke at the bitter end and between Luke and the emperor in the run up to it which gets luke riled.
Last edited by Caswellbot on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tobedesu
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby tobedesu » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:41 pm

Mine:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Attack of the Clones

Don't care for the bottom two and only like a few scenes from Revenge of the Sith.

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:55 pm

theforceuk wrote:it's not the work of George Lucas

..and thank god for that! :lol:

Seriously though, I know they will always be seen as his movies and people will always say that without him there would be no Star Wars (which of course can't be denied)..but this devotion to GL despite the utter crap he subjected the fans to with the prequel movies will forever be a mystery for me! He has my gratitude for the OT of course but even so..there were literally hundreds if not thousands of people involved in making each of those 3 films as good as they were, people that were far more talented than Lucas, better directors, producers and even better story tellers..

If other people hadn't been involved in Star Wars and it had all been GL the OT could and probably would have been a total disaster, the prequels are direct proof of that.

No denying that he had a great vision and he gave us an amazing world full of fantastic characters but for me at least, GL should have let someone like JJ handle the prequels back when work began on them.

IMO him not being involved in TFA or the upcoming movies is a true blessing, I've not been this excited about Star Wars films (not the toys or hobby) in a long, long time and I missed it. It's nice to be a fan of the films again.
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:10 pm

Joe wrote:
theforceuk wrote:it's not the work of George Lucas

..and thank god for that! :lol:

Seriously though, I know they will always be seen as his movies and people will always say that without him there would be no Star Wars (which of course can't be denied)..but this devotion to GL despite the utter crap he subjected the fans to with the prequel movies will forever be a mystery for me! He has my gratitude for the OT of course but even so..there were literally hundreds if not thousands of people involved in making each of those 3 films as good as they were, people that were far more talented than Lucas, better directors, producers and even better story tellers..

If other people hadn't been involved in Star Wars and it had all been GL the OT could and probably would have been a total disaster, the prequels are direct proof of that.

No denying that he had a great vision and he gave us an amazing world full of fantastic characters but for me at least, GL should have let someone like JJ handle the prequels back when work began on them.

IMO him not being involved in TFA or the upcoming movies is a true blessing, I've not been this excited about Star Wars films (not the toys or hobby) in a long, long time and I missed it. It's nice to be a fan of the films again.

Each to their own I guess, but for me TFA has nothing I've not seen before and Star Wars was always ground breaking. Also shame they didn't find a better story teller for TFA, then they wouldn't have had to copy the George Lucas story. I really do like the new film, just not as good as I thought it was going to be.
Last edited by theforceuk on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:11 pm

I have always been bewildered by that as well.

I have always found Star Wars to be the antithesis of Dogma. the idolisation of Lucas reminds me of religion in regards to blind faith or maybe comparable to North Korea. This is not aimed at any posters, but there is a strong feeling within the community that he is 'God'.

Don't get me wrong, I will always love George Lucas. He has given so much happiness and I would say he was an inspiration to do 2 degrees.

But I can't deny, I am a fan of the prequels, that those films at the least disappointed a generation.

Many people made the OT. Speaking to Gary Kurtz, he said he use to laugh when Irvin Kershner would ask Lucas to leave the set.

Looks like the feedback from the TFA movie, that some of that disappointment has been dissipated.

Finally, getting to look forward, rather than looking back.

Ian_C
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Ian_C » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:20 pm

theforceuk wrote:I feel TFA is separate from the first 6 as it's not the work of George Lucas, as any Star Wars film from now on will be for me. :)

We are more alike than you know my friend. :)

Joe, we need to stop ripping on George for the PT. If you guys hate them, that's fine (personally, I find it highly hypocritical to be blasted for not liking TFA when many of the same people trash the PT). However, this whole "Lucas didn't do it alone" concept is reaching for justification. It would be ridiculous to think that us Lucas purists think Lucas did everything from the concept to the concept art to the score to the effects to the direction to....everything else. Those other people took George's ideas, and used their expertise in their respective fields to "enhance" George's vision. But without George and his concepts, those people are all working on some other project. Star Wars wouldn't exist. As a PT fan (as opposed to 'apologist' ;) ), the one thing I agree with people is that he didn't listen enough to the experts in the appropriate fields to solidify his films. The PT had fantastic ideas - just missing the finesse that made the OT stand above all else.

What myself, Adam, and others feel is that what makes the SW films important to us is that the concepts are Lucas's. TFA, it can be argued, is Lucas's movie because it takes so much from his movies, but regardless, for us, there will be 6 SW movies - and then whatever number of Lucas inspired spin offs.

Ian
I've paid my dues
Time after time.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And bad mistakes ‒
I've made a few.
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face
But I've come through.

Come visit us - www.tantivexi.com

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:47 pm

Yeah what Ian said. :lol:

In all fairness as well, from what I can gather is JJ wanted the best part of 2 years to develop the story and wright the script. But Disney said you have 6 months. :roll:

I find it ironic that everything leading up to this film has being about moving away from the prequal trilogy and only having George Lucas as a 'creative consultant' and going back to the old feel and then theirs nothing original.

I feel robbed in a way.

robpmarsh
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby robpmarsh » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:01 pm

1. Empire
2. A New Hope
3. Jedi
4. Force Awakens
5. Sith
6. Clone Wars
7. Attack of the Clones
8. Phantom Menace
Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold!

my Swfuk feedback: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21776

My Leia Hoth focus:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30198

Jediknight3263827
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Jediknight3263827 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:01 pm

1 - Star Wars
2 - Empire Strikes Back
3 - Return Of The Jedi
4 - The Force Awakens

not even going to try and put the other 3 in any kind of order because they was all as bad as one another but i still own them and i still watch them. i dont hate them i just dont like certain parts of each film

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:33 pm

1) ESB
2) ROTJ
3) ANH

(about a 20 mile gap)

4) TFA
5) TPM
6) ROTS
7) AOTC

I know there's a whole generation of people that were older when Jedi came out and hated it because of the Ewoks, and I respect that. But I think it's probably the most entertaining and visually impressive of the films, ESB just has a better story and some more iconic scenes. I'm glad so many people are enjoying the new film, but I honestly think it's just excitement. In 5 years I'd be very surprised if most of you are still so fond of it.

Return to “Star Wars Films”