Complete 360!

fuzzybuzzytoys

Sith Lord
I watched TFA Friday and came out just feeling numb. Another Death Star?? Shite Snoke. 10 seconds of Luke. This wasnt the story in my head!

The more I thought about it, the more I understood the balance that had to be made by Disney, to keep the fanboys happy (me), to introduce a new generation of fans and to 'play it safe' to an extent, made me realise that prehaps I was wrong.

So I watched it again on Sunday. And I have done a complete 360. ****ing loved it. Absolutely brilliant. Picked up on all the bits that I had missed the first time. All the hints of who the charactewrs were. Unerstood this was the first chapter of a brand new trilogy. And it was brilliant. Love it love it love it

Still not sure on Snoke though :)

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Had the same reaction mate. It's to overwhelming the first time.

I find it gets better in each viewing. It still has issues, but love it.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Great post, honest and upfront, good on you bud :D

I think without exception, as so much goes on on the first viewing, it needs to be seen again to let it all sink in and watch it without any pre conception or trepidation, just for what it is, a brilliant SW film :D

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Glad you liked it, Jamie. I still believe the numbness/unsure feeling comes about because it's not what was expected at all; it's not a new story, it's exactly as you say it is and that's an introduction for new fans, the setting up for a brand new story arc and also a nod to the fanboys. When you understand that you watch it and enjoy it for what it is, and what it is is bloody brilliant :)

DARTH VADER

Jedi Knight
I think many of us entered the theatre with a certain degree of apprehension, perhaps even fear...I know for one, my nerves were on edge as I, along with many others, was desperately hoping for something much better than the prequels...fortunately...we were not disappointed...The Force Awakens is a cracker...and finally, after all this time...we're home :D

afsupplies

Padawan
Snoke is definitely the weakest CGI thing in the film. There's got to be some sort of wizard of oz thing going on there though and we'll find out Snoke is an illusion or a mis-direction of some sort.

stormcab

Sith Lord
I'm one of the dislikers. Only seen it once. What I'm going to do is leave it a while, then see it again. Several films I have initially disliked because it was too fresh, as in, I could see the editing, the acting etc.... then when some time passes I find it feels more embedded/established.

I have a large list of issues that annoy the crap out of me, and simply shouldn't have happened.

Probably my biggest issue is the soundtrack. i heard on that channel 5 program that when Lucas showed ANH with no soundtrack in a private screening to all the big Hollywood directors, they thought it was awful. John William's score catapulted it into the stratosphere. Every scene has it's unique score, and within those there are nuances for small moments. The Asteroid chase, Hoth battle, Cloud city, Ben being killed, Endor Battle etc etc immediately you can hear the music, and see the action. The only memory I have of the score in TFA is rehashing of music in a few scenes from the originals.

Watching a little bit of Raiders Of The Lost Ark today I was pointing the score out to my wife who never really thought about it. She was amazed how I knew every little bit of the score before it happened, and the way it slotted in beautifully with the the exact moment on screen.

This is a dying art. I ask her and others what is the most recent memorable soundtrack you can think of? Back in the day there were tons - Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders, ET, Superman etc. I think the last one I can remember the tune for is JJ Abram's Star Trek, then before that, Gladiator.

x-pack

Grand Master
stormcab said:
I'm one of the dislikers. Only seen it once. What I'm going to do is leave it a while, then see it again. Several films I have initially disliked because it was too fresh, as in, I could see the editing, the acting etc.... then when some time passes I find it feels more embedded/established.

I have a large list of issues that annoy the crap out of me, and simply shouldn't have happened.

Probably my biggest issue is the soundtrack. i heard on that channel 5 program that when Lucas showed ANH with no soundtrack in a private screening to all the big Hollywood directors, they thought it was awful. John William's score catapulted it into the stratosphere. Every scene has it's unique score, and within those there are nuances for small moments. The Asteroid chase, Hoth battle, Cloud city, Ben being killed, Endor Battle etc etc immediately you can hear the music, and see the action. The only memory I have of the score in TFA is rehashing of music in a few scenes from the originals.

Watching a little bit of Raiders Of The Lost Ark today I was pointing the score out to my wife who never really thought about it. She was amazed how I knew every little bit of the score before it happened, and the way it slotted in beautifully with the the exact moment on screen.

This is a dying art. I ask her and others what is the most recent memorable soundtrack you can think of? Back in the day there were tons - Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders, ET, Superman etc. I think the last one I can remember the tune for is JJ Abram's Star Trek, then before that, Gladiator.

A fair point. I've seen it twice now and loved it each time. But you are right in saying there are some issues with the score. Not sure they ruin the film or anything though. Just doesn't seem to flow so well, and the part with Leia and Han was a bit cringey. What about those sound effects though. This is one film that should be seen in the cinema for the sound effects. Mind blowing stuff. Firing up light sabers. When Fin flies that Tie out of the hanger and it stutters a bit before taking off. That gave me goose bumps :)

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
On the ball there Barry.

I saw it in 3D IMAX...sound effects and rumbling vibrations :shock: was a brilliant experience, but I need to see again ( several times :lol: ).

stormcab

Sith Lord
x-pack said:
stormcab said:

A fair point. I've seen it twice now and loved it each time. But you are right in saying there are some issues with the score. Not sure they ruin the film or anything though. Just doesn't seem to flow so well, and the part with Leia and Han was a bit cringey. What about those sound effects though. This is one film that should be seen in the cinema for the sound effects. Mind blowing stuff. Firing up light sabers. When Fin flies that Tie out of the hanger and it stutters a bit before taking off. That gave me goose bumps :)

That was just one issue among many. I listed most of the things I could remember in the "seen it" post.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom