Header image

TFA Destroys Box Office

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
x-pack
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby x-pack » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:53 pm

theforceuk wrote:So I take it, TFA has beaton all the prequels at the box office? :| :lol:

No-one knows. All records relating to the film were destroyed in a mysterious and massive fire :lol:

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Crazy.

They reckon 1 billion by Sunday.

That's not bad for a 4 billion investment

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:35 pm

Grant_C wrote:Crazy.

How the hell did Avatar and/or Titanic get to $2 billion?

It's about time Star Wars pulled it's fingure out.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:38 pm

x-pack wrote:
theforceuk wrote:So I take it, TFA has beaton all the prequels at the box office? :| :lol:

No-one knows. All records relating to the film were destroyed in a mysterious and massive fire :lol:

Don't worry I've got carbon copies and will use them until the bitter end. :wink: :lol: :?
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

tundra9
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby tundra9 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:49 am

Ford was apparently paid £16,9M for his part in TFA plus 0,5% of box office incomes :o :shock:

x-pack
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby x-pack » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:33 pm

4 Billion? :shock: What was that spent on?

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:34 pm

x-pack wrote:

4 Billion? :shock: What was that spent on?

Lucasfilm B-)
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:42 pm

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” has stayed spectacular, dominating U.S. moviegoing on Christmas Eve with $27.1 million at 4,134 locations on its seventh day of release.

The space saga racked up $391.1 million in its first week — obliterating the record of $296.2 million set in June by the first week of “Jurassic World.”

“The Force Awakens” is already the 22nd highest domestic grosser of all time. Its Christmas Eve grosses pushed it past the notable hits “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2” ($381 million), “Finding Nemo” ($380.8 million) and “Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith” ($380.3 million).

On Christmas Eve, “The Force Awakens” took in 13 times the amount of its closest rivals, Fox’s “Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Trip” with $2 million at 3,653 sites in its seventh day and Paramount’s “The Big Short” with $1.7 million at 1,585 theaters on its second day in wide release.

Internationally, the seventh Star Wars has hit $422.4 million, bringing its global box office receipts to $813.5 million. The pic should surpass the $1 billion worldwide mark by the end of the Christmas weekend, setting yet another record as the fastest to hit the 10-figure milestone.

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:03 pm

“The Force Awakens” smashed the Christmas Day record with $49.3 million in the U.S. on Friday. That was double the earlier record of $24.6 million from “Sherlock Holmes,” which opened on Dec. 25, 2009.

The second weekend of Disney’s space saga is projected to wind up the three-day holiday weekend with as much as $140 million at 4,134 U.S. theaters, lifting its 10-day total to as high as $530 million.

“The Force Awakens” will demolish three records set by “Jurassic World” in June — highest second weekend ($106 million), highest 10-day total ($402.6 million) and the fastest film to go past the $500 million milestone (17 days).
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:04 am

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:57 pm

Passes $1 Billion.

Just goes to show how crazy that Avatar $2.7 billion is.

_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby _Lee_ » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:39 pm

Grant_C wrote:Passes $1 Billion.

Just goes to show how crazy that Avatar $2.7 billion is.

Agreed Grant. Thought Avatar was pretty crap myself and couldnt understand how it did so well. Its the power of media i suppose. I think TFA was always going to break records.

Lee
Vintage toys ,prop and autograph collector and Luton Town FC supporter.
Also try to play guitar with the guy in my avatar as an inspiration!
JASON BECKER STILL THE BEST EVER AND STILL HERE DESPITE A.L.S.

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:39 am

t's still going strong! Second biggest Monday ever (after its first Monday!).

Disney’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens is continuing on its phenomenal trajectory as audiences on Monday just added another estimated $31.5M to bring the sci-fi franchise up to a gross of about $572.6M on its way to $600M in the next 48 hours or so. With another holiday weekend on its way — New Year’s Day is Friday — the industry can expect to see the picture hit $700M as soon as this weekend. Monday’s estimate is only about 28% off of Sunday’s gross and is greater than most pictures make in their opening weekends. The film has broken pretty toppled every box office record, most notably reaching $1B worldwide in only 12 days. It has a current international gross through Sunday of $550.3M — and that is before it releases in China on January 9. We will update with final Monday domestic grosses in the AM.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:20 pm

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has passed the $600 million mark at the domestic box office in record time. But that’s frankly underselling it. The Walt Disney blockbuster became the fifth film to cross the once-fabled milestone, not adjusting for inflation/3D/IMAX/etc., doing so in just twelve days. For the record, the other five such films were Titanic (252 days), Avatar (47 days), The Avengers (54 days), and Jurassic World (36 days). So yeah, the new land speed record holder just broke the mark three times faster than any prior movie.
It is remains the fifth biggest grossing movie of all time in America, with just a day (or two at worst) to go before surpassing the $623m gross of The Avengers. After that, it’s last summer’s dino sequel ($652m), Titanic ($658m), and Avatar ($761m). The film earned a terrific $29.5 million yesterday, just enough to crack the milestone which represents a mere 5% drop from yesterday. Not only has it become the biggest-grossing Star Wars movie in America as of last weekend, but its current $600.9m domestic total (just past the original 1997 $600.7m release of Titanic) has easily trumped the adjusted-for-inflation totals of Attack of the Clones ($445m) and Revenge of the Sith ($494m).

Next up on that score is the “adjusted” gross (including a bunch of re-releases) for The Empire Strikes Back ($784 million) and Return of the Jedi ($818m). I would presume the original Star Wars ($1.4 billion) is way out of reach, but it’s going to get a lot closer than I would have predicted even a month ago. Speaking of “adjusted for inflation,” it currently ranks at 33rd on said “adjusted for inflation” list, between Ghostbusters ($593m) and the original animated Sleeping Beauty ($606m). If it makes it to, oh, $850m, it will have sold more tickets than all but eleven prior films in history.

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:19 am

I went again last night to the Chichester Cineworld. Couldn't believe it when I got there. We actually had to queue to get into the car park. Not had to do that in 4 years. The 1900 hr showing was almost a sell out and this is two weeks after release!

Incidentally, enjoyed it last night more than either of the previous two ocassions. My nephews, 7 and 1 (ages, not names), gave it 10/10 and 9.5/10 respectively. Even my brother who's not bothered about SW said it was bloody brilliant.

Return to “Star Wars Films”