Header image

TFA Destroys Box Office

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
Lee Bullock
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby Lee Bullock » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:38 pm

Lucas is good at somethings and not so good at others.

He is a great concepts and ideas guy and has a deep understanding of mythology, but I have said it before he is not a director or script writer. In fairness to him I dont think he wanted to direct the prequels but was lumbered with it. He had to many yes men around him to say "George - thats not a good idea" and Lucas needs that. I personally have been utterly pissed off about the internet whining about TFA - which I thought was a breath of fresh air. For me its all Star Wars - I didnt like the prequels so much but its all part of the same mythology and I wouldnt want to change that. Personally I think its a shame that Lucas couldn't be hands off enough to take a Roddenberry type role as Executive Consultant for Eps 8 and 9, but by his own admission he would want to take over, which I think is a shame.

I think in closing - I have an enormous amount of respect for Lucas - despite my past grumblings. I just think over 40 years he lost perspective and a lot of that was being surrounded by yes men who did not dare challenge his weaknesses.
Feedback thread -----> viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11598

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:44 pm

I think he will be remember for tons of saintly things.

I think he would cut himself a lot of heat, just by simply re-issuing the original Star Wars cuts.

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:56 pm

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has earned an estimated solid $32.1 million in its first day of play in China. That number comes courtesy of ChinaBoxOffice, For reference, that’s one of the biggest single-day grosses of all time in what is now the second biggest movie-going marketplace. It is just ahead of the $27m opening day of Paramount/Viacom VIAB +5.00% Inc.’s Terminator: Genisys and the $30m opening day of Paramount’s Transformers: Age of Extinction. It is behind merely the $33m opening day of Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, and the $68m opening day of Universal/Comcast CMCSA +0.00% Corp.’s Furious 7. Of course, it’s possible that the final numbers may bump it above that Avengers 2 number, but that’s an if/when. Obviously the next Star Wars film needs to be called Star Wars: The Age Of The Furious Jedi. Or they could just call it Star Wars: Monster Hunt 2.

For further reference, Jurassic World earned $17.7m on its opening day towards an eventual $228m cume. Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation earned $18m on its first day, a record for a 2D release, and eventually earned $136m. Spectre snagged a $15m opening day late last year for an eventual $83m cume. And, of course, the sky-high Terminator Genisys opening day figure led to a massively front-loaded $112m cume in China. Like Terminator, The Force Awakens opens after an extended blackout period on Hollywood exports, which may mean that the figure is somewhat inflated in terms of long term prospects.

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:43 pm

Disney’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens crossed $800M last night in its 23rd day of release after a huge Saturday of $19.2M, +79% over Friday. With such results, Episode VII holds No. 1 for the fourth weekend in a row with $41.6M, down -54%. Given the fact that Star Wars is at 781 more playdates than 20th Century Fox/New Regency’s The Revenant, plus the fact that more families come out at Sunday matinees than R-rated adults crowds, this gives the J.J. Abrams title the upper hand today.

and...

With a $52.6M two-day China opening this weekend, Star Wars: The Force Awakens set a new record as the biggest Saturday/Sunday Middle Kingdom bow of all time. The full global weekend was $145.93M and blasts it past Jurassic World to become the No. 3 movie ever at the worldwide box office. The global cume is now $1.733B compared to JW‘s $1.669B. The full offshore weekend gross in this 4th frame was $104.3M and lifts TFA to the No. 7 slot on the all time international box office chart with $921.4M. That takes it past Transformers: Age Of Extinction, Frozen and The Avengers and puts $1B within its sights this week.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

r1hvy
New User
New User

Postby r1hvy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:09 pm

I'm not surprised that it has done so well, I suppose in retrospect I wonder why the prequels didn't do better. Phantom menace was the first film in years you expect the pure anticipation and nostalgia would have made it do better.
I agree with all those who will say this is a better movie but for it to comprehensibly beat anything that has come before it and for none of the most recent trilogy to be so far behind, is it the Disney effect or can it really be that the prequels sucked which to be honest I dont think they did, I actually think if they would have cast it better in certain areas they would have been really good. They were clearly a few bones of contention and the effects look tired already with all the green-screening but I still love them.
What do you guys reckon?

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:05 pm

I think the prequals helped TFA, becasue they were so unpopular and the way Disney made a big thing about going back to the old ways of making a Star Wars film. Everyone has been wanting a good Star Wars film for 30 odd years so you could argue the anticepation for TFA was bigger than TFM.

I think the Disney factor might have had a big impact on the marketing front as well, but who know's?
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Crosses 1 billion internationally.

Has also just grossed more than ESB after inflation calculated in domestic US.

ESB also has a few re-issues and the Special Edition in its gross.

The Force Awakens:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $856,944,841 45.8%
+ Foreign: $1,012,600,000 54.2%
= Worldwide: $1,869,544,841

Mr-shifter
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Mr-shifter » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Woooooowwww.

Do I have to do anything yet?
WANTED: The following speederbikes. I would like them boxed but open and complete. I need:

Meccano stickered bike
Pbp stickered bilogo
Danish stickered bilogo
Special offer uk bilogo

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:02 pm

:lol:

You Sir, are a tool.

:roll:

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:23 am

£113 m now in the UK! Previous record was £103m for Skyfall. TFA should reach £120, which would be a pretty remarkable figure.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Lee Bullock wrote:Lucas is good at somethings and not so good at others.

He is a great concepts and ideas guy and has a deep understanding of mythology, but I have said it before he is not a director or script writer. In fairness to him I dont think he wanted to direct the prequels but was lumbered with it. He had to many yes men around him to say "George - thats not a good idea" and Lucas needs that. I personally have been utterly pissed off about the internet whining about TFA - which I thought was a breath of fresh air. For me its all Star Wars - I didnt like the prequels so much but its all part of the same mythology and I wouldnt want to change that. Personally I think its a shame that Lucas couldn't be hands off enough to take a Roddenberry type role as Executive Consultant for Eps 8 and 9, but by his own admission he would want to take over, which I think is a shame.

I think in closing - I have an enormous amount of respect for Lucas - despite my past grumblings. I just think over 40 years he lost perspective and a lot of that was being surrounded by yes men who did not dare challenge his weaknesses.

Thanks for writing this Lee as you've completely put into words my thoughts on Lucas and saved me the job of writing it myself :D

Ian

kingshearer
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby kingshearer » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:25 pm

While it's breaking box office records it has finally dropped below Return of the Jedi in IMDB's ratings. I can now sleep easy tonight.
Ta, Brian

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:17 am

Be interested to see how Return of the Jedi would be received if it was released now.

kingshearer
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby kingshearer » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:49 am

I think it would do amazing although it would feel a bit weird having had the figures and ships for over 30 years prior :)
Ta, Brian

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:55 pm

kingshearer wrote:While it's breaking box office records it has finally dropped below Return of the Jedi in IMDB's ratings. I can now sleep easy tonight.

Thank the maker.

I don't get why ROTJ gets so much stick. I loved it as a kid and I love it now. The whole Jabba's Palace piece, Yoda's big reveal, Luke realising it was his sister that gave him such a boner, Speeder Bike chases, epic space battles, father v. son sabre battle, Vader finding his light side. Holy shit, what's not to like?

Return to “Star Wars Films”