Have to admit...

_Lee_

Sith Lord
I know we have a seperate thread about the movie, but i feel i just have to put my view across after a 3rd viewing. I will admit i was wrong in being so ignorant and before TFA was released. Overall it is a good movie, and it has put SW back on the map in a better way the prequels did. Sonny has taken to it massively and its rekindled his love of Star Wars so i havent been watching Avengers on loop over Xmas :lol: He already has a huge Kylo figure and voice mask and we will be putting his display shelves up today. I dunno, but there is something about seeing my child beaming and loving something so much,especially as he is busy sorting his loose collection to display. It defiantely takes me back 30 years and it is evoking memories.

So yes, it is a good movie, although im not going to say it has or will reached the heights that the OT did in my eyes - which will never happen. Im actually really looking forward to the Rogue One movie now. Ok, they may be Lucas free and we have to understand that he is the reason why Star Wars exists, but someone needs to carry the mantle. I do wish they would use his as a consultant though. I also understand that there are some who dislike the movie, but i understand that completely. There are some issues with it, but every movie has them and im willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

So basically, i was wrong and it wasnt the car crash i thought it would be. A 7/8 out of 10 for myself and probably a 9 out of 10 for Sonny.

Now lets sit back and enjoy more Star Wars in years to come. Lets pass this hobby on to the younger generation to enjoy for years to come and encourage them to keep the flame burning. Whether you love the OT,hate the PT and hate TFA or love all three it doesnt matter - what matters is that we keep this legend alive.

Lee

tundra9

Sith Lord
Exactly what star wars is all about, igniting the imagination of children, a place to escape to and remembering childhood with fondness :)

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Good to hear you enjoyed it Lee.

The more info about Lucas's 'teens in space' treatment for the sequel trilogy comes out, the more I think we dodged a bullet.

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Its great that a SW film is having such a positive reaction with people, SW fans and non-fans alike. I know not everyone's on board with it but the vast majority of moviegoers are giving it a thumbs up . Its such a change being an existing SW fan now to the dark days of 99-12 when the reputation of SW in the average punters eyes was derision due to the prequels!

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Its been quite surprising to me how many new SW fans TFA is creating. My sister-in-law has mocked my SW obsession for years, went to see it as her husband insisted and came out loving it and wants to borrow the rest to watch. It must be even better for the new young fans who've now got their own OT to grow up with.

I think most of us went into TFA hoping it wouldn't be a complete dog and recognising that it would never/could never be as good as the OT. For most off us, this seems to be what we got. I could never understand why some people were negative beforehand, without even giving the film a chance and actually watching it, but I'm made up that many minds have been changed. Let's hope the rest live up to the hype!

CRAZYHAZY

Jedi Master
Nice one Lee...and for being a stand up fella and admitting you got it wrong and you like the movie.

I respect everyone on this forum whether they like it or not because our experiences are unique to each individual. End of the day we are all vintage star wars fans.

I have just seen it for the third time and to me it just gets better and better. I choke up every time I see Luke and Rey stare at each other. I don't give a toss about plot holes and whether it's a rehash of sw. It's a glorious ride of magical escapism. It takes me back big time.

stormcab

Sith Lord
What I find funny is I'm the biggest Star Wars fan of everyone I know, but everyone liked it more than I did. Reckon I need to give it a second outing soon. It's getting pretty ripped apart on IMDB. I just counted twelve 1 star ratings in 20 reviews. One was a 9, the rest 5 and below. Will this be a case of "well the large majority of reviewers will only write something because it's complaint. People who like something rarely bother"?

Lee Bullock

Jedi Knight
Lee, I am so glad you have given it a chance, and even after three viewings if you didn't like it you would have still had that respect. The fact you like it though means you have one more Star Wars movie to enjoy and I am happy for that fact.

Respect for your openmindedness and your willingness to not adhere to a dogma. Like I said I respect all view points if at least they are set forth objectively with no axe to grind.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
stormcab said:
What I find funny is I'm the biggest Star Wars fan of everyone I know, but everyone liked it more than I did. Reckon I need to give it a second outing soon. It's getting pretty ripped apart on IMDB. I just counted twelve 1 star ratings in 20 reviews. One was a 9, the rest 5 and below. Will this be a case of "well the large majority of reviewers will only write something because it's complaint. People who like something rarely bother"?

Hmm that's abit weird. On IMDB TFA gets an overall rating, from about 300k people, of 8.6 whilst ANH got 8.7 from around 900k people so they're comparable grades. But if you click on the reviews themselves most of the first few pages are negative. The sort filter for me defaulted to 'best', which must be most voted for/liked, but when I changed it to chronological order the reviews are much more balanced and, I assume, a more representative picture of the 8.6.

So perhaps the negative reviewers are voting for negative reviews, but the rest can't be bothered :lol:

I'm going to with the 8.6/8.7 as a decent measure of popularity. Rotten tomatoes was still over 90% last time I looked.

But you're 100% right, not everyone likes it, and I'm not sure if anyone on SWFUK is 100% happy with it either, most people have some gripes and problems with it (as I do).

stormcab

Sith Lord
jedisearcher said:
stormcab said:

Hmm that's abit weird. On IMDB TFA gets an overall rating, from about 300k people, of 8.6 whilst ANH got 8.7 from around 900k people so they're comparable grades. But if you click on the reviews themselves most of the first few pages are negative. The sort filter for me defaulted to 'best', which must be most voted for/liked, but when I changed it to chronological order the reviews are much more balanced and, I assume, a more representative picture of the 8.6.

So perhaps the negative reviewers are voting for negative reviews, but the rest can't be bothered :lol:

I'm going to with the 8.6/8.7 as a decent measure of popularity. Rotten tomatoes was still over 90% last time I looked.

But you're 100% right, not everyone likes it, and I'm not sure if anyone on SWFUK is 100% happy with it either, most people have some gripes and problems with it (as I do).

IMDB is very odd. I usually look on my phone, but just tried on my PC and changed the filter to chronological. It does balance up a little better, but not by much. Many of the "better" reviews were simply because "it wasn't The Phantom Manace". However that in turn gets balanced by the 1 star reviews. I'm sorry, but 1 star suggests the worst film ever. Not very thought out. This 10/10 review made me laugh though "Better than the prequels not as good as the originals but still very good". Doesn't 10/10 suggest absolute perfection? lol. I do enjoy IMDB though, and will pretty much sit looking at a film's section on it while simultaneously watching the film. I like to know the trivia, and to see if that really was a "goof" I saw.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes etc are a waste of time IMO. I never take any notice of those places either way. Only my eyes tell me what is and isn't bad.

grinchy

Sith Lord
I'm glad you think the movie is ok, its definately worth a watch, i've seen it twice myself now and i love it, i agree on the likes of imdb etc, only my own opinion matters, i'll read what others think, but most just seem to echo whatever the popular opinion is, which is a crap way to review anything

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Excellent news :) even if you hadn't enjoyed it, i'm glad you gave it a chance.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Good on ya Lee, glad you put aside your fears and gave it a go. Glad you enjoyed it mate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom