Is Rogue One going to be a REAL Star Wars film?

fuzzybuzzytoys

Sith Lord
Difficult to explain but I just don't see Rogue One as being a REAL Star Wars movie. It's not going to have a number. Is it even going to have an opening scroll?? I feel it's about a real Star Wars movie as those 3 chapters of Clone Wars they put together a few years ago and released as a 'Star Wars movie'

Don't get me wrong. I love Star Wars and super excited for Xmas when this comes out. But the anticipation just is'nt there for me. We havent even got an official teaser trailer yet (and I'm not talking about the one that was recorded on someones phone at Celebration).

But I am 1000x more excited for Episode 8 than for Rogue One.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
As it's the first offshoot film I'm not really sure what to expect but I'll be going in there with an open mind. I'm actually looking forward to it more than the origin films like the Han Solo one. If they've got the casting right and a good story (gritty and dark) then I'll be very happy. One thing they've never really properly explored is just how grim life in the universe would be under the heel of an evil empire, I hope we get a big slice of that. It won't be, but a 15 rating type film would be great.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
No. Simply because the "real" Star Wars films are the original trilogy ;)

All jokes aside, it's a continuation/addition of the story and it'll be relying heavily on new characters.
The Force Awakens had Han and Chewie amongst others, plus vehicles and sets that reminded of the OT much more than the prequels.
If Rogue One can follow that pattern then it'll fit right in.
For me it's that feeling of characters, vehicles and set that will determine whether or not it is a Star Wars film rather than the plot and title.

lejackal

Grand Master
I for one absolutely cannot wait for this! I really loved the expanded universe books, Heir to the Empire, the x-Wing series et al and see this as the movie equivalent of them, a great insight to something other than the same bloodline saving, balancing or ruining the force/universe. And despite how that may come across I'm not hating the films we've had but there really is life outside of the Skywalker family tree and it's about time it was brought to the big screen :D

EDIT: Just realised I didn't answer the question - yes, it will be.

Richard_H

Grand Master
I'm really looking forward to Rogue One. Loved most of the EU except The Force Unleashed which is utter shite and the more that contradicts that supposed canon the better

Jez

Sith Lord
Kathleen Kennedy won't let this be ****.
I have had utter faith in her leadership since 2013.
I hear you about the lack of number and opening scroll, but i reckon this one will surprise everyone! This will be TESB for the new generation.
The difficulty being we know they (the rebels) will eventually succeed, but at what cost? We will be introduced to new characters but we don't know which ones will survive the 120 or so minutes.
I'd say, don't over stress about it, just enjoy it when it arrives.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
looking very forward to this myself, have to agree 110% about the life outside the Skywalker family comment above, the universe is vast & how so many angles to come at the Sw universe from, if done well I can see this being a huge step in the right direction for the bran (hate to use the term though).

I am also a bit of a trekkie & have always felt the same about that as well - some more darkness needed, for the adult audience, after all we have all grown up with both since childhood & there is a huge grown up fan base,yes SW is for kids but it's so much more than just that now with the passing of the years.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Keep hearing about this Rogue One but know very little about it. Heard it takes place between ROTS and ANH ? I just hope it has all the same kind of budget, quality and refinements of all the other films. Haven't a clue about the story, quite like it that way, will go in blind and open minded :D

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
When I heard what it was about I thought it sounded unnessesary and a bit rubbish, but having enjoyed TFA so much I doubt it'll be bad. Disney seem to know what they are doing for now and I'd rather see films about new characters than young Han Solo. I can't wait!!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Well George Lucas has not made it so it's not a proper Star Wars film just like TFA! :lol: Only joking. :?

It will be wicked I reckon and will have the opening scroll with a cherry on top.

I can't wait to see Han Solo do the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs either. :wink:

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
For sure, ROGUE ONE will have an opening crawl. The only thing that will be slightly different is that the music is composed by Alexandre Desplat, although I strongly suspect that he will be riffing on the established scores. He's actually a fantastic composer and he stepped in for Williams and scored the last two Harry Potter films so if you have to replace Williams then you couldn't really choose better.

Cast is intriguing too, Forest Whitaker and Mads Mikkelsen, and then of course there is this guy....

NEhZffADgBhzko_2_b.jpg

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
I want Darth Vader to smash the **** out of stuff.. kill loads of rebels and be damn scary. We all know he lives (SPOILER) in this time and the rumours are he's in it. So if hes in it, lets hope for carnage. This could be a movie where we just see him as the badass, we dont need backstory, as we have it. Id love him to swoop in, take out an entire rebel cell. Only between star wars and empire does he go soft when he realises his child is alive. But until then, I want to see a lot of killings..

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
I'd just like a trailer.....I find it strange that we haven't even had a proper teaser and its only 9 months away....

Dantooine

Padawan
I wasn't too interested in this when it was first announced, but having seen some pics of "proper" OT Stormtroopers I'm beginning to feel the hype. Star Destroyers and Tie Fighters should also be in it, a long with Vader. Certainly sounds like Star Wars to me (much more so than the prequels ) plus I know a couple of people who worked on it... :)

sith-smith

Grand Master
I love the Star Wars universe. So as long as something does justice to that universe (books, films, vide games etc) then there's a good chance I'll like it.

I like the trilogy format everything has been in with Star Wars so an offshoot movie is no doubt going seem strange when viewed in comparison as this has to be a complete movie on it's own. In some ways a new hope could be seen like that...it was just lucky it was a huge success that we got to see the remaining two! But as a film in itself it works. The other two don't obviously.

So it will be interesting to see something like this done. It kind of fills in some of those gaps left by the trilogies so for me I'm really looking forward to it.

yoda

Sith Lord
Just watched the trailer on the big screen it does look cool. But it's not starwars for me and yes I will watch it but just for the entertainment on I night out. Nothing will ever replace luke, han and the gang!
I know it will be really entertaining and i will be straight to the cinema when released. So hopefully it goes well and looking forward to see more trailers.
What do you guys think of the short clip of darth mauls training?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom