When will it end?

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Just sitting here thinking and wondering when the Star Wars film saga will end. I. Not talking about the standalones, but are Disney sticking to George,s original 9 movie saga? Id love to know if TFA portayed a storyline to Lucas original vision? Would they have got the rights to the original story George wrote?

Loads od questions i know, but a worthy discussion :D

x-pack

Grand Master
I just hope it doesn't grow tired and runs out of steam. So far the new stories are looking great. What may keep it going and going is the endless possibilities for offshoots rather than new future story lines, as with TFA. If anything goes ary I think it will be with the sequels I bet.

Up to now though it's pretty much all good and I hope things keep getting better :)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I would like to see them finish after 9 and then start another trilogy 1000s of years before ANH.

MarkG

Jedi Master
theforceuk said:
I would like to see them finish after 9 and then start another trilogy 1000s of years before ANH.

Anything involving Revan, Malak or Malgus would be good.

Richard_H

Grand Master
Didn't George's original final trilogy get condensed into Jedi? I don't think George had a treatment for another trilogy. He had ideas of where to take a new trilogy a few year back, which was rejected.

sith-smith

Grand Master
It a potentially limitless (and financially lucrative) universe for there to be many possibilities.

Part of me would like to see this trilogy bring the Skywalker story to a definite end and that be the last. What I'd like to see are more stories like the possible Han, Ben and Fett stories, the beginning of the Jedi the origins of the Sith etc. I think the offshoot movies are more likely than creating yet another trilogy to continue the current story.

I guess a lot might depend on how successful the first ever Star wars offshoot movie will be.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Well Bond has been going since '62, with 24 movies so far. And if you thought TFA was similar to Star Wars then you have to concede that all 24 Bond movies have been near enough identical in sharing plot beats.

It is inevitable that the icons of Star Wars will lose their appeal and become ordinary if they are over-used. There are only so many times you can see an X-Wing or a Stormtrooper and still find it exciting. But with creativity there are always new design elements that can be introduced (TFA did this with BB-8 for example), and like Bond the Star Wars saga also benefits from being high budget productions - so that they feel like 'event movies' and can achieve the scale that fans expect.

Unlike Bond, Star Wars is not tethered to telling the story of a suave spy versus a villain. Star Wars is set a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... it can in theory tell any story.

afsupplies

Padawan
I hope after Episode IX comes out that they'll slow down a bit with releases. Maybe one every 2 years like Bond. But they'll probably do a Marvel and ramp up to 2 a year, a Kenobi trilogy fim in the spring and Han Solo trilogy fim 6 months later for 3 years. With a Fett story in there as well there's enough Star Wars movies for the next decade.

There's tons of story ideas just from the first 6 films that could be explored but I hope they don't go down the path of explaining every single facet. I don't need a Count Dooku trilogy or Lando the early years (as Rebels is covering that anyway!).

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
I thought that the original 6 or 9 movie plan was really meant to be the story of Darth Vader. So if this reboot deals with Kylo Ren in the Darth Vader role, then I'd have thought that means they're not going to go back and do a PT/origins trilogy film for him, otherwise they'd have just started at the Episode 1 beginning. Whilst Vader had some bad ass mystique when we all fell in love with SW, I don't think Ren can hold a story like that. So maybe this chunk of the Disney SW world is 3+ films but nothing like as long as GLs original plan.

For the Marvel stuff you can see the number of films the actors signed up for, and they've already detailed the different phases so you know what's coming. After all, if Daisy decides 3 films is enough, there's not a great deal anyone can do about it and she's already hot property (Lara Croft wtf?! :shock: ). I'm not worried about the stand alone films like Rogue 1, I think it'll be good, but the origins films have me a bit worried. I'm not sure I want to see a Boba Fett origins film, I didn't find him very interesting the first time round, maybe that's just me. Sacrilege for some I know, but I'm not even sure how excited I'd be about a Han Solo origins film.

The difference between Marvel and SW is that the history/villains/story arcs are all set for Marvel in the comics, whereas for SW there's virtually nothing. It'll be interesting to see how they bridge that gap with original content, without spending too much time reprising old characters.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Hopefully never, but for me it will probably come to an end when there is little reference of the original trilogy.
Perhaps that's reason why I don't care about the first two prequels.

SammyJ

Padawan
I would personally like them to finish at the IX film and leave it at that for a number of years. Then like the prequels and TFA, they can build up that excitement again and release another movie/ trilogy ect.

sith-smith

Grand Master
robpmarsh said:
I'd love to see a KOTOR movie.....but haven't they said this is now Legends?

What is the official line on all the expended universe etc.

I know that all the books based after ROTJ (thrawn trilogy, jedi academy trilogy etc) are now obsolete

Where does everything else stand?

afsupplies

Padawan
I think the official line is if it's not on screen or from the novel of the movie then it's not canon. Having said that the Rebels crew keep sneaking things in that were in the EU and from the West End Games roleplaying game which then makes them canon again so there's chance for all of it to get reworked in some form.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Not a huge fan of the EU, but there were some good characters/idea etc in their.

Particularly would like to see a Thrawn type character, the ysalamiri was also an interesting idea.

There's definitely a lot of good things, though the stories were not always great.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom