Empire strikes back with adverts

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
Hope I've put this in the right section. As a kid I always watched Star Wars from a vhs my dad had recorded off the to. With a new hope all the adverts were cut out but with empire and Jedi they weren't. Most of my viewing experience for these films was mixed with those adverts. Speaking to my dad the other day I was shocked to find he'd thrown the videos away! Does anyone know of any copies of these films with the adverts in!? I'm guessing it would be from itv and would have been recorded in the eighties. Would love to get a copy of empire if not Jedi with the adverts!

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I have a copy, probably from myspleen.

What's great is that however recorded it shoved in a beta tape and captured three and a half hours of Christmas day 1988 with Empire in the middle.

fuzzybuzzytoys

Sith Lord
chipsteak said:

What's great is that however recorded it shoved in a beta tape and captured three and a half hours of Christmas day 1988 with Empire in the middle.

You HAVE to publish this!

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
chipsteak said:

Yep, that sounds like the one from myspleen. ISTR it was recorded in the west midlands.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
fuzzybuzzytoys said:
chipsteak said:

You HAVE to publish this!

Seconded!!
Would love to see this. What a nostalgia rush :D

I'm still hoping to track down a copy of the SW 1982 UK TV Premiere with adverts.
Always give the used video section on Ebay a scan, but no luck as yet.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Here's a pipedream if ever there was. :lol:

Before I saw a SW film, I had an older brother filling my head with how great it is. We both got crazily excited for a school holiday morning showing of The Making Of Star Wars. This marked my first viewing of moving SW images. An off-air of that - with late 70s continuity - would be as great as it would be unlikely.

ODB

Jedi Master
I have both ANH and Jedi with the ads still in them, I never had Empire as a kid. The quality is pretty awful but I should get them transferred on digital at some point.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
ODB said:
I have both ANH and Jedi with the ads still in them, I never had Empire as a kid. The quality is pretty awful but I should get them transferred on digital at some point.

:)

Please do.

I'm full time ill and have plenty of time on my hands. If you trust me with the tapes, I'd make sure they got shared.

yoda

Sith Lord
I'm full time ill and have plenty of time on my hands. If you trust me with the tapes, I'd make sure they got shared.

Do you know if tapes can be restored if damp has set in?

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
yoda said:

Do you know if tapes can be restored if damp has set in?

I'm no expert but I'd unscew it and have a look inside before putting it in my machine. I wouldn't dismiss it, certainly.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
ODB said:

Would love to see these, especially ANH.
I reckon the picture quality (or lack of it) actually adds to the charm. :D

ODB

Jedi Master
I have acquired a little tool to convert VHS to digital. So on with the testing.

ODB

Jedi Master
I now have a digital copy of the Boxing Day Premiere of the Return of the Jedi presented by Thames television (remember them?). What would be the best way of sharing this, on youtube its likely to get pulled for copyright. Dropbox or something?

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
ODB said:
I now have a digital copy of the Boxing Day Premiere of the Return of the Jedi presented by Thames television (remember them?). What would be the best way of sharing this, on youtube its likely to get pulled for copyright. Dropbox or something?

Oooh, congrats on completing the transfer. Any plans on doing ANH?
You're probably right about avoiding YouTube and Vimeo. High chance of being blocked, I would have thought.
I'm no expert, but there seems to be a bewildering choice of file sharing apps out there. Dropbox, Rapidshare etc. MediaFire seems popular.

What video transfer software/hardware did you use?
I've got a few VHS/Betamax tapes that need digitising.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom