Header image

Empire strikes back with adverts

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Empire strikes back with adverts

Postby chipsteak » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:45 am

It's unusual that ITV didn't hold off a couple of months with their Star Wars premiere and show it at Christmas. Perhaps they felt it was occasion enough to pull in the viewers anyway. That year, on Christmas night, they ran with The Black Hole.

Spookedhippie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Spookedhippie » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:53 am

Thanks odb, my Christmas viewing sorted, will download tonight! Spot on grant! I'm there thinking with Rotj first break is just before Luke enters the palace!?

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:57 am

The Queensway sale is now on! If going to Queensway isn't a ruiner after the excitement of Christmas, I don't know what is. Thank God ROTJ is on the telly.

Twin30mm
Regular
Regular

Postby Twin30mm » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:27 am

chipsteak wrote:It's unusual that ITV didn't hold off a couple of months with their Star Wars premiere and show it at Christmas. Perhaps they felt it was occasion enough to pull in the viewers anyway. That year, on Christmas night, they ran with The Black Hole.

Always thought it was a bit unusual that they didn't hang on till Christmas.
They would have owned the Christmas Day ratings.

According to this article, ITV paid between £1.5-2.5 million for the rights and screened it pretty much as soon as they could.
Bizarrely, the pre-Christmas advertising revenues were more lucrative than the holiday season.

http://episodenothing.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/a-day-long-remembered-star-wars-comes.html
"I want more life......f*cker"
WTB List: http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26380

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:33 am

I've seen stats about the largest UK tv audiences for film showings and Star Wars didn't make the top ten. Live And Let Die took the top honour. Perhaps the figures were very incomplete as I understand Lew Grade paid a fortune to get SW on UK telly.

We were pretty lucky he did. I recall the rental video of Star Wars coming out around the same time as the ITV showing. This lead to either rumours - or likely just my brother pulling my chain - that the broadcast would get pulled. I don't think free TV Stateside got it until 1983.

naughtyjedi
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby naughtyjedi » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:38 pm

myself and my brother were very good at stopping recording at the end of the ad break, then rewinding and sitting there next to the video ready to hit the record button to get it as seamless as we could.

I dont know if thats the first time I became aware of the little lines in the top corner of the screen telling us (or apparently its a regional thing for local adverts to kick in) there was an ad break coming or not.

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:05 pm

Yeah they are very noticable when you see a vhs ripped digital file where the edges are uncropped.

I knew all the dodges, only to now wish I'd kept the adverts in. My ten year-old self wasn't considering that I'd be mad aged 42.

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:56 pm

chipsteak wrote:
My ten year-old self wasn't considering that I'd be mad aged 42.

Brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:
FAQ: Ugrading :evil: - http://powerofthetoys.com/afa/
https://www.facebook.com/starwarsforumukpodcast

Spookedhippie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Spookedhippie » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Just watched the adverts, awesome, thanks odb...but...definitely not the adverts I watched as a kid! Some seem very similar but I remember the Milky Way advert with the red and blue car shown at least twice on the copy my dad recorded off the tv. All the advert timings are right just not the adverts! Has anyone got a different recording of Jedi!? Looking at the dates it would have been the 1990 broadcast

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:39 am

Spookedhippie wrote:Just watched the adverts, awesome, thanks odb...but...definitely not the adverts I watched as a kid! Some seem very similar but I remember the Milky Way advert with the red and blue car shown at least twice on the copy my dad recorded off the tv. All the advert timings are right just not the adverts! Has anyone got a different recording of Jedi!? Looking at the dates it would have been the 1990 broadcast

Did you watch it in the Thames region? The adverts were usually a regional thing, and not just the cheapo ones at the end for carpet shops.

After the premieres, you're into very regional territory too. My first taping of Star Wars happened at New Year 1986 and isn't listed anywhere, making me think it was a STV only thing.

Spookedhippie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Spookedhippie » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:30 am

Ah ok, well I'm central (which was so lucky with the empire copy you have!) so I'm really looking for a needle in a haystack!?

mark75
New User
New User

Postby mark75 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:10 pm

Hello everyone
Hope you don't mind me joining here I've got here from Google may I ask does the copy of Empire have some of Xmas Blind date on before it? and I think some musical program? on the same tape too?
If so I know exactly where the beta tape originated from, I can also remember one of the adverts during Empire was for the Black Lace party album when it shows them singing Agadoo, doing the conga and shit like that :?

Btw great site I've read lots of threads and ended up thinking"shit so it weren't just me who noticed things like that"
Cheers
Mark

Twin30mm
Regular
Regular

Postby Twin30mm » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:29 pm

mark75 wrote:Hello everyone
Hope you don't mind me joining here I've got here from Google may I ask does the copy of Empire have some of Xmas Blind date on before it? and I think some musical program? on the same tape too?
If so I know exactly where the beta tape originated from, I can also remember one of the adverts during Empire was for the Black Lace party album when it shows them singing Agadoo, doing the conga and shit like that :?

Btw great site I've read lots of threads and ended up thinking"shit so it weren't just me who noticed things like that"
Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.
The ESB download is fantastic.
The copy starts with approx. 40mins of Blind Date (shudder!).
Hilarious 80s fashion and an annoying Scouse bint. What more could you ask for on Xmas Day :D

There's approx. 20mins of a Michael Crawford "Save the Children" Xmas charity show after ESB.
Can't remember seeing the Black Lace ad you're referring to, but there are a few classic ads on there.
The Deryck Guyler 'Skeleton' Scotch video tape ad and the KitKat pop group one.
"You can't sing, you can't play, you look awful........you'll go a long way!" :D
"I want more life......f*cker"
WTB List: http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26380

scooternick
Regular
Regular

Postby scooternick » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:29 pm

And the weetabix advert with the Maradonna handball scene. Considering it was 1988 i'm surprised they let than one go, I would have thought the memories were still too raw to make a joke of it! What a cheating bastard!!

Return to “Star Wars Films”