JUST BACK FROM CINEMA THREAD - ROGUE ONE - SPOILERS ALERT!!!

DARTH VADER

Jedi Knight
SPOILERS ALERT!!!

Starting this thread for members to share initial thoughts and reactions to the latest Star Wars movie, Rogue One.

I've just got back home from the cinema, some of you guys will likely be about to head out to catch it for the midnight showing in U.K. so I expect plenty of reports as and when you return :D

Personally, it was what I expected - a good movie with a nice Star Wars feel to it. Best parts for me were the Vader scenes, walkers, swarming TIEs and anything featuring internal Imperial sites which for me, were excellent. The DS looked great...nice little cameo by our favourite droids too :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I just came home from the cinema in denmark. Awesome movie 8) after thinking about it, then I would say I think it is better than episode 7 :shock:

I was also surprised to see how great tarkin did sound and look like the real tarkin, Leia did also look very good but not 100% perfect but very very good. I was also happy with the scenes with darth vader and I was surprised to see so much with him, fantastic. But I could hear that james earl jones is an old man. He did not 100% sound like the good old vader, but I still think he did a great job 8) Also great to see a few seconds with R2-D2, C-3PO, I also remember I saw a death star droid, Walrus man and his friend the good doctor, mon mothma was also really great and did look a lot like the old one, but the voice did not sound correct. General dodonna did also look a lot like the one from the old movies. I love that the good old ships and vehicles is back, star destroyer, the rebel fleet, death star, x-wing, y-wing, tie fighter at-st and at-at awseome. Fantastic to be back on tantive IV but I would have been surprised if the movie did not end with tantive iv, but I had not expected to see so many scenes inside the rebel scenes. The best star wars movie since return of the jedi, great job and awesome work :wink:

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
So much to enjoy.

But watch the trailers and lots of scenes were reshot. E.g. Jyn running through water with plans, also Krennic walking through water, I rebel etc etc

Dr evazan and ponda baba was hilarious

But the film clears up that mystery of why the death star has a weakness..

And finally I have my Vader kicking off scene. All the Vader stuff was awesome. His temple scene had me with a dropped jaw.. loved that

The film will be nitpicked, but it was good fun and a proper prequel movie...

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Just got back from Birmingham Cineworld.

Just a few lines because work in the morning...

Thought the film was very good, as good as, if not better than TFA.
Was surprising to see Tarkin, which made me believe we would see Leia at the end.
Planty of solid action in the air and on land.
But that last Vader scene was outstanding.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I didn't care for it.

I'm not a fan of action films, and was prepared for not liking it so I can't claim disappointment or problems with the artistry.....with the exception of Tarkin. They were a bit too proud of their work there.

It probably didn't help that I didn't feel well. I've got a chronic illness where films are best enjoyed on home video when I'm alert.

I'll be buying it on bluray to watch about a half dozen times to make sure.....

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Just got back, loved it 8)

All sorts of links to Original movie, pretty much watch Rogue one then straight into ANH.

As has been said great fleeting glimpses of R2 C3po Ponda and the Dr, walkers ties, great space battle scenes, great story line, Tarkin and Leia were great for me.
Vaders Castle....awesome, and Vader going for it was superb! Brilliant movie for me, needs another watch asap :D

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Loved it. Very gritty, emotional, funny and pulled no punches. The end scene with Vader was fantastic- the sheer terror! 8) Tarkin looked and sounded great, but as said above, think they definitely overplayed it. For me, the droids should've been in the background of the closing shot with Leia. They felt shoe horned in.

Seeing it again Saturday- will be able to watch it properly. Like with TFA, the midnight screening was great, but more than a little head spinning. Second viewing was where I really started to take it in properly.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
First reaction is that it was all I'd hoped for. Far better than TFA in pretty much every way. The acting, the cinematography (excepting the Rey scavenging scene on Jaku), action, story all surpassed TFA for me.
I really liked the Tarkin and Leia bits. I also thought Tarkin was used a little too much and one of the early shots slipped a little too as he turned.
The replication of exact shots from ANH (DS reactor firing sequence and technicians ducking as an example) and the couple of pieces of film that must have been cut and pasted from ANH (Red Leader as an example). I loved all the clever nods to the OT, as mentioned above Walrusman and the Dr, the silver as well as black DSD; a reference to the toys and film perhaps(?) and of course the fleeting Threepio and R2 moment.
Vader was ruthless and the Leia moment almost had me in tears!
The only things that stops it jumping into the top three for me was the score and the location text boxes. I did think the score was good, very good actually, BUT it missed a beat at least twice that I noticed on first viewing, where it was crying out for the traditional heartwarming SW fanfare or the like.
Overall 3.5 is about right, both in episode and ranking in the (now 8!) films, very happy boy! :D

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Caught this with Mr_Shifter and WalthamWookie early this AM.

Wow, that was spectacular. As mentioned by others, the highlights were the things that were lifted/tied-in closely with the OT. The original Red and Gold Leaders, the Death Star Gunners, the characters and droids and the imagery of the DS plans were all brilliantly done. Was it me or in the final scenes on the transmission tower, as Jyn and Cassian was it meant to echo in look and feel Leia helping Han to walk after releasing him from carbonite? Cassian's top is identical and Jyn's hair and look is Carrie all over at that point.

I missed the opening crawl, fanfare and even the words "Star Wars" on screen and worried they were trying to make it not SW, but that was soon forgotten as it was unbridled OT: slow at first but by the end you were in no doubt you were watching SW Episode 3.9 (it's so close to ANH in time). I was willing the final 60 seconds of film to take a certain path as it unfolded on-screen and it didn't disappoint at all. Just brilliant.

I liked the characters. The darkness of the things the Rebellion had to do was a really nice touch. Jyn was great and Krennic was also superb. I really liked the brief scene when Galen Erso was seen in his former life as an Imperial Science Officer putting the young Jyn to bed; it gave the Imperials that human feel.

K-2SO was a surprise to me. Really liked him. His comedy moments were nicely done (bag drop was hilarious) and not overplayed by the director, I didn't think.

Bizarrely enough, unlike almost everyone here, I disliked the Vader (except the final scene, just bloody brilliant) and although it was close, Tarkin just screamed X-Box One cutscene to me. Nice attempt but he was just not life-like enough in movement or look. My issue with Vader was the costume looked like it was out of fancy dress shop, he almost had a swagger in his walk (I swear) and he just didn't have the presence of Prowse. I actually wriggled in my seat watching that first scene with him and Krennic I was that uncomfortable.

I did also find all the new vehicles and troopers totally unnecessary. Surely a toyline marketing ploy? Given it's set hours/days/weeks before ANH, where did they all go in the Eps IV-VII?

On first viewing I would give this a solid 4/5. Lost marks for Tarkin, Vader and new Imperials. Not above TFA at the moment. Very aware that TFA took a 2nd and even 3rd viewing to be fully appreciated so keen to get back to the cinema and see it again :) Thanks Disney, you can keep doing movies like that.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
The Dirty Dozen in space. Wasn't expecting any survivors so got that right.

Started slowly but was all go from just over half way through.

Didn't think we were done with Vader after his castle scene. He didn't disappoint.

Tarkin was the best CGI character to date. Still needs a little more work though.

Was fun seeing an old friend as Red Twelve. He got 2 speaking lines!!

And the space battle was one of the best yet.

Think I need a 2D viewing after 3D DBOX.

Finally, I wonder why they dropped 'I rebel'. That was a great one liner from the trailer.

:)

Jason

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
If you go back and watch all the trailers and look at the material released, appears a mega amount of stuff has been cut/reshot. Where did the scene with jyn limping towards the tie go? Who was in that tie.. very odd. Where were they going when they were running with the plans into the sea... wow

Be interesting to see the original cut before the reshoots.

I did almost squeal with delight seeing y wing bombs. I was the only one LOLing at the 'I've got a bad feeling about t...." from k2so before he was cut short. The screen I was in I'd say me and Christian could have been the oldest.

I also enjoyed the dirty edge of the rebels. No ethical glory or righteous path. Just bludgening.. I like that.

I didn't mind the cgi ressurections, better than ropey make up (Tarkin in ROTS). I think Tarkin was an essential element to the story and enjoyed that revisit and a bit more imperial hierarchy.

Oh... and different coloured mon calamari.. and the hammerhead.. oh my... so much good ****

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
naughtyjedi said:
If you go back and watch all the trailers and look at the material released, appears a mega amount of stuff has been cut/reshot. Where did the scene with jyn limping towards the tie go? Who was in that tie.. very odd. Where were they going when they were running with the plans into the sea... wow

Be interesting to see the original cut before the reshoots.

I did almost squeal with delight seeing y wing bombs. I was the only one LOLing at the 'I've got a bad feeling about t...." from k2so before he was cut short. The screen I was in I'd say me and Christian could have been the oldest.

I also enjoyed the dirty edge of the rebels. No ethical glory or righteous path. Just bludgening.. I like that.

I didn't mind the cgi ressurections, better than ropey make up (Tarkin in ROTS). I think Tarkin was an essential element to the story and enjoyed that revisit and a bit more imperial hierarchy.

Oh... and different coloured mon calamari.. and the hammerhead.. oh my... so much good ****

Loved the Hammerhead Corvette. Nice touch! And I laughed, too, Pete, do don't feel bad 8)

DARTH VADER

Jedi Knight
Going back to my original post and the comment made earlier in the thread, once James Earl Jones started to speak, I listened very closely...yes, perhaps a slight difference from nigh on 40 years back...but it still got the biggest smile from me, hearing that distinctive omnipotent voice again...the best, for me.

Will be catching it again very soon...as I am sure many of us will...

Dantooine

Padawan
I really liked it. It was well acted, paced and shot. The effects were great, there was stuff in there I'd never seen before, great moments. I normally hate cgi characters but I really liked Tarkin. I thought they did a good job with him considering how monumentally difficult it is to create a believable actor like Peter Cushing. I know it wasn't him but I loved seeing the character again. Leia didn't work at all though.

I also found Vader's first scene a bit underwhelming, but I loved how he was introduced, his castle - straight out of the concept sketches for the OT. The music was a bit off, and I really think they should have had an opening crawl and have Star Wars flash up on screen. It's certainly a better prequel to the OT than any of the other prequels, and being tied so much to ANH it's odd they chose to not to have a proper Star Wars opening.

The space battle is now the new second place to Jedi. That hammerhead ramming thingy was amazing (I guess it was in one of the cartoons?). Anyhow, I'd never seen that and it was brilliant. Loved all the old ships - even the Tie Bomber made a brief appearance. And that ending with Vader going ape **** was fantastic. I wish we had more more, but what was there was great. That whole sequence was the best bit.

Another thing was that there was so much in the trailers that didn't make it in to the film. I wonder if we will ever know what happened.

We watched it in 2D, looking forward to a 3D viewing next week.

indianawars

Sith Lord
It was a masterpiece of a Star Wars film!
Sure people are going to analyse this frame by frame, 'Oh, but Vader wielded his lightsaber 9.2MPH faster in this film than he did in a new hope.'
I say get over it and enjoy this film! I can't wait to see it again.

lejackal

Grand Master
I thoroughly enjoyed it but just to be that guy for a second..........nah, only kidding - it was awesome

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Thought it was brilliant. They delivered on all promises and 40 years of requests.

The amount of stuff in this film.

Just gutted it ended. Could have made it 4 hours long and I would and I could quite easily sit there.

Off to watch it at Pinewood Studios in a few hours. It's going to take a long time to digest this.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Watched it 2D now as well.
IMAX last night was without doubt an immersive experience, but it watches so much better in 2D. Tarkin is cleaner and works better, as does Leia.
Simply a brilliant film on second viewing I think over time it may yet break into the top three for me! :shock:

Jez

Sith Lord
Wow 8)

What didn't work first of all for me (nit picking) the mind reading squid (new Rathtar), not really needed. The initial Flash Up of Rogue One and some of the missed opportunities with the music. That's it though.

What did I like? How long do you have?
The narration of the story, the beginning middle and end. Realising why Luke became Red 5.
The ships going into hyperspace but smashing into a Star Destroyer coming out of hyperspace.
The characters and all of their premature deaths.
I loved Tarkin and Leia, yeah they will never be perfect but they were dam close to it.
I don't know the characters well enough to say who I liked BUT, I actually liked them all.
Kathleen Kennedy said at CE2, our main priorities are plot, script and sets. They excelled on all counts.
The story was wrapped up perfectly and it felt like ANH was actually recorded as a 4.5 hour movie but we've only just got to see the first half!!

I don't think it will do as well at the Box office though as I think word of mouth will reinforce that this isn't a young kids movie. I'm taking my 11 year old twins (Boy and Girl) to watch it tonight at Pinewood Studios, I think my daughter will miss characters like Chewbacca and it'll be hard for young kids to comprehend Rebels having to kill people with an unexpected close quarter shot in the back. But for me, I bloody loved it.
I can't grade it until i've seen it a few more times. So much to take in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom