Header image

JUST BACK FROM CINEMA THREAD - ROGUE ONE - SPOILERS ALERT!!!

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
Heith
Regular
Regular

Re: JUST BACK FROM CINEMA THREAD - ROGUE ONE - SPOILERS ALERT!!!

Postby Heith » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:31 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
chiffy wrote:Having read all of the comments upto date, these are my latest thoughts.....

In my opinion, Leia was as good as we were gonna get. Infact, the few seconds we saw the ' new ' face seemed fine, if you put into context that you wouldnt know the difference between that Fisher when moving onto a new hope if you werent star wars nerds like us so i reckon lets just, as my mate always used to tell me when moaning about shit in TPM, be believers!
I also picked up on the lack of Ben Kenobi. We heard Bail saying he would trust ' her ' with his life when talking about contacting an old jedi friend. As the film wore on he was on obviously on about giving the plans to Leia wasnt he? Surely SHE didnt even know she was a. Anakins daughter and b. a jedi?? I presumed early doors he meant Ben Kenobi unless i've totally lost the plot and turned off at the wrong junction somewhere? Discuss...... :mrgreen:

You misheard, mate. Bail was asked about contacting his old Jedi friend (who he referred to as "he") who was clearly Ben. In the same conversation the transportation of the plans was discussed and it was at this point Bail said he would "trust her" with his life, clearly referencing Leia.

I took that as referencing Ashoka Tano from the cartoons?

jedi_mister
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby jedi_mister » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:35 pm

Just seen it for a second time. Saw it in 3D this time and generally the 3D version didn't offer enough to warrant it.

I'm falling in love with this film which I haven't felt since Jedi. Could easily pop back to the cinema now and watch it again.

Spotted the General Sindulla reference and the Ghost this time which were nice touches. Haven't seen Chopper yet.

Although the Vader scene at the end is awesome I think it blows continuity a bit as why wouldn't Vader just board the Tantive IV at the start of Episode IV knowing that he can kick the crew's butt anyway ?

Just wondering when I can slope off to watch it again over the weekend. Might be a bit tight but I might have to console myself with seeing Warwick Davis in Panto instead :-)
Looking for the following MOCs:
R2-D2 Popup Lightsaber Trilogo

Spookedhippie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Spookedhippie » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:40 pm

Is chopper suppose to be in it?!

jedi_mister
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby jedi_mister » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:41 pm

I'd heard rumours that he was but nothing confirmed.

robpmarsh
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby robpmarsh » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:45 pm

I do remeber seeing an R5 unit in a scene but I'll need to watch again to confirm....maybe it was just a generic droid
Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold!

my Swfuk feedback: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21776

My Leia Hoth focus:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30198

jedi_mister
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby jedi_mister » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:48 pm

Found a link saying that Chopper appears on the left-hand side of the screen when the radio operator is running up to Mon Mothma. Will have to look out for that the next time I go.

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:45 pm

jedi_mister wrote:Just seen it for a second time. Saw it in 3D this time and generally the 3D version didn't offer enough to warrant it.

I'm falling in love with this film which I haven't felt since Jedi. Could easily pop back to the cinema now and watch it again.

Spotted the General Sindulla reference and the Ghost this time which were nice touches. Haven't seen Chopper yet.

Although the Vader scene at the end is awesome I think it blows continuity a bit as why wouldn't Vader just board the Tantive IV at the start of Episode IV knowing that he can kick the crew's butt anyway ?

Just wondering when I can slope off to watch it again over the weekend. Might be a bit tight but I might have to console myself with seeing Warwick Davis in Panto instead :-)

I thought this about the Vader scene, but when you think about it all good villains learn from there mistakes. If you see Vader you run and I like how every time someone dies they have just done enough to keep the story going.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:46 am

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
chiffy wrote:Having read all of the comments upto date, these are my latest thoughts.....

In my opinion, Leia was as good as we were gonna get. Infact, the few seconds we saw the ' new ' face seemed fine, if you put into context that you wouldnt know the difference between that Fisher when moving onto a new hope if you werent star wars nerds like us so i reckon lets just, as my mate always used to tell me when moaning about shit in TPM, be believers!
I also picked up on the lack of Ben Kenobi. We heard Bail saying he would trust ' her ' with his life when talking about contacting an old jedi friend. As the film wore on he was on obviously on about giving the plans to Leia wasnt he? Surely SHE didnt even know she was a. Anakins daughter and b. a jedi?? I presumed early doors he meant Ben Kenobi unless i've totally lost the plot and turned off at the wrong junction somewhere? Discuss...... :mrgreen:

You misheard, mate. Bail was asked about contacting his old Jedi friend (who he referred to as "he") who was clearly Ben. In the same conversation the transportation of the plans was discussed and it was at this point Bail said he would "trust her" with his life, clearly referencing Leia.

Totally agree
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

Mr-shifter
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Mr-shifter » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:26 am

There are quite a few continuity errors if you drill down into it. The last scene with Vader going nuts into the first scene of anh where he does the whole "if this is a consular ship, where is the ambassador" doesn't really work if he already knows tantive 4 is the ship he just saw leave.

All the tie fighter variants flying around that suddenly disappear from the fleet.

The fact they demonstrate the Death Star on Alderaan, but they have already been loosing shots off with it left right and centre.

But this is all irrelevant given that the films have nearly 40 years between them. I think they have done as good a job as I would have hoped on this film. I don't hate the prequels, and I enjoyed tfa, but for me this is the best offering since Jedi, and I do feel the family silver is in safe hands.

As grant always says, it's an amazing time to be a Star Wars fan.
Looking for: A fair priced ungraded trilogo Yak Face MOC (Condition is not so important - no cracked bubbles or broken seals though)

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby yoda » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:31 am

Just got to see it yesterday and loved it.
At least I now know what juiced up those Lightsabers! Something I always wondered :)
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.~Vernon Law~

jedi_mister
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby jedi_mister » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:49 am

Mr-shifter wrote:There are quite a few continuity errors if you drill down into it. The last scene with Vader going nuts into the first scene of anh where he does the whole "if this is a consular ship, where is the ambassador" doesn't really work if he already knows tantive 4 is the ship he just saw leave.

All the tie fighter variants flying around that suddenly disappear from the fleet.

The fact they demonstrate the Death Star on Alderaan, but they have already been loosing shots off with it left right and centre.

But this is all irrelevant given that the films have nearly 40 years between them. I think they have done as good a job as I would have hoped on this film. I don't hate the prequels, and I enjoyed tfa, but for me this is the best offering since Jedi, and I do feel the family silver is in safe hands.

As grant always says, it's an amazing time to be a Star Wars fan.

Your first point on continuity could be argued that they would have wiped the flight history and would most probably haved logged with the senate that they were on a diplomatic mission with Leia on board so Captain Antilles would then be trying to hold up that pretence. The fact that Vader continued to kill him backs up his frustration that he knows the ship came from Scariff.

Totally agree with the tie fighter & U-Wing continuity but Disney has to make money :-)

In terms of the Death Star already being tested on Jeddha and Scariff. It's different in ANH because Tarkin clearly states "I think it is time we demonstrate the full power of this station". That ties in nicely with Rogue One where they'd only tested it on cities.

Nick_IoW
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Nick_IoW » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:02 am

Forgot the other bit I liked.

The scene playing the falcon space chess, but were too poor for holograms so used some ropey looking figures and some dice!

Mrleemur
Regular
Regular

Postby Mrleemur » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:36 am

I've just realised, I don't remember a Wilhelm scream, did I just miss it??

adampbooth
Regular
Regular

Postby adampbooth » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Nick_IoW wrote:Well... just got back from watching.

Enjoyed it - but have come away feeling disappointed. TFA was very emotional for me, and I came away feeling elated like I was 6 years old. R1 left me feeling a bit meh - like I should have enjoyed it more, but something was missing. Which is a shame as I was amazed by the trailers.

Hoping I will be more enthusiastic after a second viewing. But I do stress, I did enjoy it. It's Star Wars.

Positives:
Vader scene at the end (even though I knew something similar was happening due to the leak of wall art some months back).
Vaders temple, though I would have liked to have seen more of the para-Olympian - though thinking about it maybe less was more as CGI can kill scenes.
THAT scene when the hyperspace goes wrong for the rebels. Something I've always wanted to see.
The acting was really good.
The subtle nods to the original - and the not so subtle ones.
Miserable robot - it was like looking in a mirror.
The underplayed mention of Ben.
The scenes all looked stunning and filmed beautifully - really really good.
The slow paced start - lets face it the Original was well slow for the most part. I kind of liked that.
Bail Organa.
Tarkin.
Battle scenes - be it troops or ships.
It's more Star wars.
Having the force more mystical and touching on faith.

Negatives:
Tarkin - he was a positive but there's too much of him, the more you see him the worse he looked.'
Leia - as soon as I saw Tarkin I knew this would happen. She had the eyes of a stoner, and looked bad. I didn't know whether to cringe or vom in my mouth. Dog-shit. Computer game cut scene
The brief flash of Rogue One - the whole lack of anything was a bit of a downer for me - seemed odd.
The score - what happened? Some of it was ok - but mostly seemed out of place and an odd mash-up at times.
Darth Vader - aside from not sounding good, in the non action scenes he looked and sounded like a cosplayer - even his gesturing seemed limp. Not at all ominous or imposing.
Naming of planets - I don't mind seeing these things pop up, but it seemed odd as they all came in what felt like a 2 minute spell.
Making a point of having Red 5 killed - felt like it was meant to leave a gap for Luke. They all died - so room for a whole new squadron lol.

Far better than the prequals - but lacked the charm of TFA.

Happy (some really good stuff) and underwhelmed (I was hoping for more) - hoping it will be a grower.

We got a glimpse of what Vader should be - and now I want a proper Vader movie, which is something I didn't want before.

I was about to type my thoughts but then I read the above by Nick and its identical to the way I felt about Rogue One.

I also thought it was just unnecessary and a little forced and drawn out to show each individual character's demise when the entire base was going to be wiped out anyway. It just felt like filler to me.

Like Nick, I must stress that I DID enjoy the film overall but something just didn't click for me like it did with TFA. Looking forward to a second viewing as I think I'll probably enjoy it more with lower expectations.
Visit my website or facebook for geeky artwork:

www.adapboothart.co.uk
www.facebook.com/adampboothart

Woolyniner
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Woolyniner » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:45 pm

I thought it was great. My only negatives were the music the Darth Vaders sexy disco 70s swagger at his temple.

Return to “Star Wars Films”