Header image

JUST BACK FROM CINEMA THREAD - ROGUE ONE - SPOILERS ALERT!!!

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
afsupplies
Regular
Regular

Re: JUST BACK FROM CINEMA THREAD - ROGUE ONE - SPOILERS ALERT!!!

Postby afsupplies » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:35 pm

More thoughts...
Glad that "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." was still present. Still can't get over the 20th Century Fox fanfare not being right at the start of a SW movie!
The Rogue One logo was shite. Looked really thin and weedy. It looked like something out of a cheap fan film.

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Overall I enjoyed it. Would like to see it again, but from the first viewing here's a few likes and dislikes:

- Much preferred the characters/actors in this compared to TFA
- Thankfully they removed that cringe "I'm a rebel, I rebel!" line that was in all the trailers. I was dreading that!
- Ridiculously good special effects, especially the CGI Tarkin and Leia. I wonder how they got permission to use his likeness?
- Loved that the end was basically the beginning of Star Wars, although it leaves no room for a sequel!

Dislikes
- No crawl at the start!?
- The intro - completely pointless, bad script and over-acting. It added nothing to the film, should have started when she was an adult.
- Everyone else loves it but I found the new droid annoying
- The ninja guys - don't get me wrong ninjas are cool, but why are they in a Star Wars film? I like naked women too, don't necessarily need to see them in Star Wars :lol:
- Over-doing all the special moves - example Vader doing about 20 force-throws in a row at the end. This seems to be the way of films these days, TFA was the same, once is never enough any more. Vader was sparing of his Sith skills in the OT, LESS IS MORE!

Looking forward to seeing it a second time.

Ian_C
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Ian_C » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:22 pm

MarkG wrote:
Ian_C wrote: Also, in that fight between the rebels, the Imperials, and assassins/terrorists, I SWEAR I saw a wampa being led by one group on a leash. It was quick, but it was definitely a hairy white beast. Ian

Ian, that white beast was Moroff.... Great report BTW..

Moroff.jpg

Thank you! I doubted it was a wampa, but it happened so fast I never got a good look at it/him. You can definitely see the similarities.

Ian
I've paid my dues
Time after time.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And bad mistakes ‒
I've made a few.
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face
But I've come through.

Come visit us - www.tantivexi.com

Darth Bobby
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Darth Bobby » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:24 pm

Just got back. Really enjoyed it. Didn't know what to expect. I avoided pretty much every spoiler (full Internet and media black out) so plenty of nice surprises. They've made a great film! Ready for next Christmas now.

scooternick
Regular
Regular

Postby scooternick » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:11 pm

Just got back. Loved it. Expected to see vader on a solo mission in his tie fighter near the end but glad it ended the way it did instead! Wondered whether the chubby pilot was meant to be a young porkins?! Wanted to see at-at inside cockpit shot. Thought I saw one of the band of merry men wearing a boba style helmet which was cool - Jengo? Leia had a slight potato head but still amazing. Well impressed with Tarkin. Better than TFA hands down. Possibly best fight scene so far.........

jedi_mister
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby jedi_mister » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Spookedhippie wrote:Saw chopper!

Was he in the scene where the radio operator is speaking to Mon Mothma ?
Looking for the following MOCs:
R2-D2 Popup Lightsaber Trilogo

_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby _Lee_ » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:06 pm

If any film was going to bridge part of the gap before ANH this is it. Gareth Edwards has done a great job in this, and i feel that we have finally found a film with the look and feel of the OT. I have to admit that i liked this much more than TFA, and it left me with a feeling ive not had in....

Amazing nod to Cushing, his family must be honoured to see that. I didnt think Leia was bad, she was a horny little minx back in the day :D Ive a funny feeling that Vader is what made us go all giddy. I also loved the end by the way of using the run up to ANH.

Loved it 8)
Vintage toys ,prop and autograph collector and Luton Town FC supporter.
Also try to play guitar with the guy in my avatar as an inspiration!
JASON BECKER STILL THE BEST EVER AND STILL HERE DESPITE A.L.S.

Cazza
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Cazza » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:07 pm

Yep, just after he runs outside to tell her the news, you can see Chopper exiting the building as well on the left of the screen. Very cool.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:09 pm

_Lee_ wrote:If any film was going to bridge part of the gap before ANH this is it. Gareth Edwards has done a great job in this, and i feel that we have finally found a film with the look and feel of the OT. I have to admit that i liked this much more than TFA, and it left me with a feeling ive not had in....

Amazing nod to Cushing, his family must be honoured to see that. I didnt think Leia was bad, she was a horny little minx back in the day :D Ive a funny feeling that Vader is what made us go all giddy. I also loved the end by the way of using the run up to ANH.

Loved it 8)

I agree, this is the film I've been waiting for a story submerged in the rule of the Empire not tied to the Skywalker family.

Done very well.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby weasel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:21 pm

Just been to see it, not much to add that hasn't already been said. The score was poor, i thought Tarkin was really well done. My missus hadn't realised he was CG'd until i told her. I thought it fitted in really well given the time frame it was working with. I wasn't a fan of Vader's scenes at all. The actor playing him didn't fit the costume and his fight scene was pretty underwhelming IMO. They seem to struggle to strike a balance between underwhelming and ridiculously over the top. Saying that Disney have really shown GL how to make a SW film. I hope he watches this and realises just what monstrosities the prequels were.

Ian_C wrote:Been a while since I have posted on here, as I had really kind of hit a low point in my fandom over the last year, combined with a shitty year personally.

Ohh and good to see you back Ian, although I suspect you spent a year typing that essay out. :lol:
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Spookedhippie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Spookedhippie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:13 am

jedi_mister wrote:
Spookedhippie wrote:Saw chopper!

Was he in the scene where the radio operator is speaking to Mon Mothma ?

Exactly where you said

itfciain
Approved Trader
Approved Trader

Postby itfciain » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:44 am

Finally got to watch it this morning. Had seen most people were big fans and to be honest, not sure what spoilers could have been given as we all know the ending

Loved all the nods to the OT - Wally, DSD, R2, C3PO, Imperial Gunners etc - and the bits from the cockpits were great. I thought that there were loads of subtle references that maybe some of us in the hobby might think were a bit corny but to people coming back to the film having not really been immersed in Star Wars since they watched it as a kid would love those

Tarkin was amazing - I am not sure I get why people are knocking that - the fact that this is possible in this day an age is pretty much sci-fi itself (watch some of the Black Mirror episodes to see what I mean) - the Leia was a bit cheesier but again better that anything else I have seen on the big screen in terms of recreating past characters

I didn't really notice the music that much - that might be a negative but to be honest it isn't really why I watch films so I wasn't bothered

Overall I am glad to see it won over a lot of people - considering all the doom and gloom around Disney taking on the franchise then I think that they have done a bloody good job with the first two films they have put out
"I'll probably be broke and homeless but I'll have a hell of a collection!"

For all your display requirements - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26287

And for vintage goodness - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/iainitfc/_i.html?_sop=3&rt=nc

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby yoda » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:06 am

scooternick did you mean Jango?? I also spotted the helmet! But when I think about it, hes gone so could it be another bounty hunter?? Well spotted I forgot about that. I am going to watch it again this week so will get a better look :)
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.~Vernon Law~
,,~Good head is the key to relivement~Unsure.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:58 am

This is a nice look at some of the Imperial troopers and hardware in Rogue One. Someone mentioned about the AT-AT being destroyed easy compared to Hoth, and this explains it (these ones are primarily for Cargo with weaker armour and no chin guns, not assault)...

scooternick
Regular
Regular

Postby scooternick » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:32 pm

Sorry, yeah Jango. It was hard to make out the colour of the helmet?
yoda wrote:scooternick did you mean Jango?? I also spotted the helmet! But when I think about it, hes gone so could it be another bounty hunter?? Well spotted I forgot about that. I am going to watch it again this week so will get a better look :)

Return to “Star Wars Films”