Header image

JUST BACK FROM CINEMA THREAD - ROGUE ONE - SPOILERS ALERT!!!

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: JUST BACK FROM CINEMA THREAD - ROGUE ONE - SPOILERS ALERT!!!

Postby yoda » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:34 pm

scooternick wrote:Sorry, yeah Jango. It was hard to make out the colour of the helmet?
yoda wrote:scooternick did you mean Jango?? I also spotted the helmet! But when I think about it, hes gone so could it be another bounty hunter?? Well spotted I forgot about that. I am going to watch it again this week so will get a better look :)

Yes it was hard to make out the colour. But remember what happened to Jango so it can't be him?? It must be someone else'?? But your right it looked like him its interesting.
Could it possibly be Boba Fett???
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.~Vernon Law~

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:43 pm

I really enjoyed it, I was worried i was getting too old and miserable after I thought TFA was average but, at least for me, star wars is back with a bang!

I thought it had a solid story (no silly coincidences to keep things going like most modern films do) actual good acting and I'm so glad it treated the audience as adults. They didn't have to die but the fact they did makes ANH all the more poignant.

Fave bits for me was the battle at the end, I honestly recon it's the best yet, the right amount of cameos and nods without being ott (didn't really need the droids bit their moment was breif). The production design was epic though and it felt so star wars, right down to side burns and tashes!

Tarkin should have been left with a smaller role though, if your going to cg a main character it has to be perfect and sadly he wasn't. The score was weak too but both of those I can live with.

I did notice a couple of cameos no one's mentioned yet. Darths castle is very similar to the one mcquarrie sketched up back in the day and the transport Jin is in when she gets rescued looked the same as Joe Johnsons concept atat before they gave it legs.

Can't wait to see it again.

afsupplies
Regular
Regular

Postby afsupplies » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:24 pm

Clarkspie&chips wrote:the transport Jin is in when she gets rescued looked the same as Joe Johnsons concept atat before they gave it legs.

I thought it was an old Clone Wars era transport but I can't find a picture of the one I'm thinking of.

Cazza
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Cazza » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:33 pm

Turbo Tank?
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:37 pm

Here you go, it was the early AT-AT design for ESB.

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:38 pm

That's the one.

Here's another shot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:51 pm

Clone wars era
Battle tank / turbo tank / A6 Juggernaut
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:58 pm

Cool. Did anyone notice any prequel stuff in there? I half expected to see an old battle droid or something walking around in the background.

I saw Doug Chiang did the production design and since he was responsible for most of the design on the prequels I was hoping for a sly nod here or there.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:17 pm

Clarkspie&chips wrote:Cool. Did anyone notice any prequel stuff in there? I half expected to see an old battle droid or something walking around in the background.

I saw Doug Chiang did the production design and since he was responsible for most of the design on the prequels I was hoping for a sly nod here or there.

Vader's castle on Mustafar and the returning characters of Bail Organa and Mon Mothma made for a bit of connective tissue with the prequels. Mon Mothma's scene in ROTS was cut in the theatrical release but here is the deleted scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zws76jmbdDc

I also caught a little glimpse of Coruscant out the window in the brief flashback where you see Krennic with Galen as an Imperial and his family.

Dark vador
Regular
Regular

Postby Dark vador » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Well seen it twice and is it just me or why are there 2 darth vader tie fighter along with 2 standard tie fighter and one shuttle in the shot of the boarding party? I thought vader tie fighter was unique????

Cazza
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Cazza » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:08 pm

Dark vador wrote:Well seen it twice and is it just me or why are there 2 darth vader tie fighter along with 2 standard tie fighter and one shuttle in the shot of the boarding party? I thought vader tie fighter was unique????

Thought it was a bomber... same shape of wings as Vader's.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

indianawars
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby indianawars » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:04 pm

This scene will always make the hair on my arms stand up!

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:29 pm

:lol: :lol:
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:20 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

starshipriot
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby starshipriot » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:04 pm

I loved the film and saw it at midnight in Hereford. To me, it felt a lot more like Star Wars than The Force Awakens though I did have a few issues with it.

1) Saw Gererra, the character played by Forest Whitaker. Why did he just stand there when the Death Star destroyed that town?! He came across as a badass, someone who has tested the empire time and time again. He looks badass, with two robotic legs, armour and a Mad Max style shoulder pad. He could easily have jumped on that ship and helped back up Jin Urso's story. But nope, he was "tired of running". Bollocks. If it was meant to be a Ben Kenobi self sacrificing moment it failed badly. If anyone followed the Clone Wars TV series, you can see a younger Saw Gererra in season five and he does come across as a badass. Total waste of a character and an awesome actors talent.

2) Animated faces. Tarkin was okay. But still looked weird. Maybe it was the big screen but he had too many flaws on his face if that makes sense? And did he really need to be in it?
They really got the look of Carrie Fisher down to a t. Unfortunately, the look they got was the glassy eyed and waxy looking skin of Carrie Fisher at the height of her drug addiction, not the fresh faced princess of ANH. Didn't need to see her face. Hood up from behind would have been fine. Of all the easter eggs this one annoyed me the most.

3) Easter eggs/fan service. I don't mind a few nods to other films in the series, but this seemed worse than TFA for it. And people in the cinema seemed to love it. The sight of Dr Evazan and Ponda Baba, the droids and Leia was met with approving grunts of "Yeah!" and "Oh Fuck Yeah!" It was like we were all sat watching a dirty movie by the sounds some of my fellow movie goers were making. I liked the sight of Ponda and Dr Evazan until the place got totalled and it seemed a bit absurd they had escaped. The droids I was kinda "Meh" about. They didn't need to be there and neither did loads of the other little nods that were included that I have forgotten about because it was gone 12am at night and I remember shit all when I am tired.

4) SAS Stormtroopers. They look badass and I can appreciate that there would be elite troops in the Empire. Remember that scene in ROTJ when Palpatine says "An entire legion of my best troops await them". Remember how they were in that movie and were kicking ass against the ewoks? Exactly, they weren't. Fuck off Disney. Stop putting shit in to sell toys. I could deal with the shore troopers, as that could be armour that is for that kinda environment, like snow troopers on Hoth, scouts on Endor. SAS type troopers? Piss off.

5) Perhaps a silly one but I never said I wasn't a pedantic twat. The Stormtroopers didn't sound like the original trilogy troopers. The original troopers sounded like they were talking through a walkietalkie. Like a static kinda sound when they spoke, making them feel a little more machine like maybe, and less human. These ones didn't. Oh well.

6) Darth Vader. Sticking a tall muscle man in a costume (and a shitty looking costume at that) doesn't make for a good Vader. I dunno how I feel about the end scene where he becomes a kind of space Jason Vorhees, hacking his way through rebels like a machete through horny teenagers. It got a great response from the audiance, and was the part where the cinema seemed to have some mass orgasm by the sound of the furious grunts of approval and casual profanities. I personally would have preffered a cutaway and then a mass of dead rebels afterwards. But I am not a cinematographer or a director or anything, i'm just someone who gets pissy about meaningless things in good films. And as whole, it was a damn good film.

Return to “Star Wars Films”