Header image

Rogue One or The Force Awakens

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.

Rogue One or The Force Awakens

Rogue One
77%
The Force Awakens
23%

Total votes: 69

Cyborg-Fett
New User
New User

Re: Rogue One or The Force Awakens

Postby Cyborg-Fett » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:54 pm

Rogue One for me, only just, but really neither TFA nor Rogue One were particularly amazing. The first half of Rogue one was boring as shit, and bland, detached and formulaic, and I felt no sense of empathy or connection to any of the characters except Jyn, the rest of the actors had no onscreen presence, the typical modern-day play-it-safe formula with no personality. Movies in the old days had personality, these days they're all deadbeats, souless, the directing is fucked.

Same crap with TFA, it was also formulaic, sort of like... scene 1, scene 2, scene 3 blah blah, very clinical and contrived with no proper flow, and Poe Saying "Nice to meet you too Finn" < was the cheeziest most stupidest thing I've ever heard in a movie, a modern-day bland greeting does not belong in a TFA movie, so JJ Abrams is just a fuckwit on that count, and there was no panic when the Tie Fighter was in terminal decent after they stole it and fled. One minute they were plummeting through the stratosphere, next JJ Abrams cut to it crashed on the ground. JJ Abrams is a useless fart. If it wasn't for Harrison Ford TFA would have been shitty useless shit.

Yes I watched ANH (Star Wars - A New Hope) with my own eyes in 1977 when I was 6 years old.

IMO, with the tech we have today, I firmly believe they should remake the OT (Original Trilogy) to flow on from Rogue One. Do it all again with today's new tech, because Rogue One is leagues ahead of ANH in terms of onscreen visuals, so it's kind of incongruent, they need to remake ANH and ESB and ROTJ.

If I were a billionaire, I'd buy the rights to remake the OT, and believe me, I would choose the right actors and make sure they're playing their part brilliantly, in their persona, old school style.

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:43 pm

R1 for me stood head & shoulders over TFA more like head to ankles, this is the return to the real feel of the star wars universe I have been waiting for since dare I say it ESB, R1 kicks ROTJ ass IMO, but hey the Ewoks always killed ROTJ for me, not that I don't love ROTJ, but R1 just felt right, no tears shed for the lack of lighsabers either, IMo it did not need anything other than the scene with the power droid they pulled :lol: some say the tarkin role was overplayed but I did not find that at all,though have only seen the film the once, though have no doubt I will enjoy it 2nd 3rd & 20th time round, I was not what you call busting to watch TFA for a 2nd time, don't get me wrong, I have seen it a few times since 2 or 3 I think, but I am champing at the bit to take in R1 again already & only watched it a couple of days ago.

Think the sole gripe I really have is that the vader mask did not seem right - or was that just me???
If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

Commander Clint
Regular
Regular

Postby Commander Clint » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Rogue One. By far. I loved it.

My wife and youngest daughter where attached to some of the Rogue One characters, so they were disappointed that all the main hero's don't make it.

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby yoda » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:29 pm

My favourite was Chirrut.
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.~Vernon Law~

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:50 pm

Like Iain said R1 and TFA are both very different films aimed at different groups. TFA had to undo a lot of the damage the prequels did to the SW franchise and while it was a great film, JJ definitely played it safe. He also had to make a film that was the first of three and one that brought in new fans..so I honestly think he had the harder job. R1 on the other hand allowed Gareth the freedom to tell a darker story and one that I think fans of the OT will see as a more important one in the grand scheme of things.

I haven't voted either way as I don't think you can really compare them but it's interesting to see most people voting for R1 over TFA, especially as most of the people here were over the moon with TFA - that can only mean both films are amazing and that makes me happy :)
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

smallsballs
New User
New User

Postby smallsballs » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Rogue One for me :)
Lead character better, better main baddy (Orson Krennic), and VADER KICKS ASS!

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:33 pm

TFA for me. It's far from perfect and God I wish it were more original.

But I wasn't stoked for a more serious war 'Wars' film as I don't really like serious action films. I like my action films pretty light, really. I quite liked the R1 characters but not enough. I'd prefer them more colourful ( perhaps literally ).

andygo
Regular
Regular

Postby andygo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:44 pm

I firmly believe they should remake the OT (Original Trilogy) to flow on from Rogue One. Do it all again with today's new tech

...blasphemy !!!!!!! :-) :-)

TFA for me over Rogue One. Liked them both, but prefer the continuing OT narrative of TFA...

...but then again, I love The Last Starfighter and Cagney and Lacey...so what do I know.... :-) :-)

Andyclarke
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Andyclarke » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:49 am

Rogue One for me.

R1 - 9/10 film, Force Awakens - 7/10.

To put things into perspective.

Star Wars - 10/10
Empire - 10/10 (perfection and favourite film of all time)
Jedi - 9.5/10
Phantom Menace - 4/10
Clones - 4/10
Sith - 5/10

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:20 am

Watched TFA again at the weekend, and confirmed I think Rogue One is better. A lot of people really like her but I just find Rey really annoying, would be more suited to Harry Potter or Notting Hill than a Star Wars film. She spoils a lot of the film for me with her cheesy dialogue and horrible over-acting. And sorry but Adam Driver is a wet sap, crap baddie. Should join a moany teenage rock band. I don't hate it though, so it's an improvement on most of the prequels!

Still need to see Rogue One a second time.

CaptainAntilles
Regular
Regular

Postby CaptainAntilles » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:32 pm

rogue 1 any day

put TFA on the other day it was awful , i now rate TFA behind the prequels and only slightly ahead of the holiday special
I met him in a swamp down in Dagoba
Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda
S-O-D-A, soda

I saw the little runt sitting there on a log
I asked him his name and in a raspy voice he said "yoda"
Y-O-D-A, Yoda
yo yo yo yoda

naughtyjedi
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby naughtyjedi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:22 pm

i love both films and dont think one is better than the other.

I did decide to watch Revenge of the Sith again the other night and god how it dragged. It used to be up there for me, but its now relegated with the other prequel films as dire efforts. So...

Rogue one is now my prequel film and fits in nicely with a lot of clone wars and a few rebels eps.
TFA joins the first 3 as a proper film. I can watch TFA as much as I can watch SW, ESB and ROTJ. I cannot watch the prequels any longer, bloody awful. I'm abandoning them and putting them down into that list of crappy Clone Wars Episodes.

So...

ESB,
SW
ROTJ, TFA, R1
--------------------
Good Clone wars arcs
--------------------
Good Rebels episodes (about 5), Original Clone Wars cartoons
--------------------
Prequels 1,2,3, Holiday Special, Clone wars filler, Rebels filler,

Return to “Star Wars Films”