Rogue One or The Force Awakens

• Rogue One

Votes: 53 76.8%
  • The Force Awakens

Votes: 16 23.2%

• Total voters

itfciain

Grand Master
Different films for me - TFA was aimed at starting out the saga again, hooking in new fans whilst appeasing original fans with cameos from Han, Chewiw, Leia and Han - Disney want this one to carry on for at least another couple of episodes in order to raise a new generation of fans

R1 is a one-off with multiple references to the OT and realistically finishes minutes away from were Star Wars started - it is grittier, more adult orientated and is basically a stand alone

For me they were both very well made - contained enough for me to be happy to watch again & again and certainly felt like continuations of the great films I loved as a kid

R1 is aimed more at me which is why it got my vote but I have no issues with TFA at all and am looking forward to the next one

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I stand by my initial reviews, although I fell in love with it and enjoy watching it (again and again) the acting in TFA is poor and the characters were one dimensional; which is fine as it was aimed at kids (as it should be) and was masked a great deal by the schmaltzy rose tinted nostalgia.

Rogue One however is a totally different kettle of fish and (score aside, which after three viewings is still grating that its not quite there in two key places) stomps all over it as a film, so an easy win for me. I guess it could (should?) have been slightly more child friendly as Star Wars is and always should be a kids film franchise, but I'm not complaining at getting a slightly more adult film!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
No contest, I've seen the Death Star get blown up 3 times now, about time we get a film on how they built one and then how the rebels know how to destroy one!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Rogue one for me, makes TFA look very average (I thought it was fairly average anyway)

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
R1 for me although I have to admit it's not a tough choice as I didn't like TFA as a movie (I liked the new characters but not the movie, if that makes sense). R1 is a different beast to be sure but I think there's a place for it in the SW universe. The only problem with it is that after coming out I couldn't remember anyone's name apart from Gin and K2 and Vader had a fat neck.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Holding off on this until I've seen R1 again. I only formed a solid opinion on TFA after seeing it twice, so another showing of this is in order. I think it's a fairly safe bet, to be fair, but....

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
I really like TFA, good villain and locations. Sets were good, but didn't care much for Finn and Poe.
The main attraction in that film was Han and Chewie and all of the other original characters.
I thought it was pretty solid overall.

However, R1 is a better film overall, packed with action and references and the main heroes and villains are very good.

x-pack

Grand Master
Based on how the first viewing of each made me feel I would have to say TFA. I'm not saying it's a better film but it made me feel good, like a cheap Star Wars whore :p

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
x-pack said:
Based on how the first viewing of each made me feel I would have to say TFA. I'm not saying it's a better film but it made me feel good, like a cheap Star Wars whore :p
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Palifan

Sith Lord
itfciain said:
Different films for me - TFA was aimed at starting out the saga again, hooking in new fans whilst appeasing original fans with cameos from Han, Chewiw, Leia and Han - Disney want this one to carry on for at least another couple of episodes in order to raise a new generation of fans

R1 is a one-off with multiple references to the OT and realistically finishes minutes away from were Star Wars started - it is grittier, more adult orientated and is basically a stand alone

For me they were both very well made - contained enough for me to be happy to watch again & again and certainly felt like continuations of the great films I loved as a kid

R1 is aimed more at me which is why it got my vote but I have no issues with TFA at all and am looking forward to the next one

This sums it up nicely and other than the score I felt it kicked TFA ass for me. It was more original and aimed at an older audience and I thought Gareth Edwards did a fantastic job with the direction (although who knows what was changed with the re-shoots?). The CG characters was very bold and didn't totally work for me in places but not enough to really spoil it in anyway.

Jedi never quite worked for me as a film (bold statement I know but I'd still take it over ep2 and 3), and now I could bing watch R1 and ep 4 & 5 as a new sort of trilogy.......It would be a pretty depressing ending though :lol:

Fantastic film all round and can't wait to see it again.

Ian

Top Bottom