The Hidden Fortress 1958...

rdpla

Jedi Knight
Many of you will know that the Magnifent Seven was based on a movie by Kurosawa called the Seven Samurai..

Maybe old news for some of you, but maybe of interest to newbies..

Many pundits assert, though Lucas himself has never officially acknowledged this, that the original Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope is, to all intents and purposes, a sci-fi remake of Kurosawa's 1958 samurai epic The Hidden Fortress.

One of the main pieces of evidence is the narrative device of telling the story from the perspective of seemingly minor characters.

In The Hidden Fortress, the story was told from the perspective of two lowly peasants who find themselves in service to a princess and her general. In Star Wars, it could be argued that the droids R2-D2 and C-3PO are utilized in the same way.

The basic story outline of storming a large enemy fortress, or "death star," and coming to the aid of a princess against seemingly impossible odds are another similarity. I wouldn't go so far as to call A New Hope a remake, but there are undoubtedly influences from Kurosawa throughout the saga's original trilogy. The famous speeder bike chase near the end of Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, shares a number of similarities with a similar horseback chase in The Hidden Fortress when General Makabe attempts to outrun his pursuers.

Star Wars also borrows a great deal from Japanese history and traditions. The fabled Jedi knights with their long flowing robes, lightsabers and religious dedication to their craft are part samurai and part Buddhist monk. Also, the design of the iconic villain Darth Vader is more than a passing nod to the fearsome armor worn in battle by Japan's feudal warlords

-So get yourself down to blockbusters or whoever and enjoy

Credit to Liam Carrigan..

yoda

Sith Lord
Yes Rob I have read about this before and also the Seven Samurai link to the '7'.
I do not know enough information about this but it interests me. I do not know much more but it would be interesting what others think.
A good topic to bring up :)

rdpla

Jedi Knight
Hey Col..hope you are well sir..

I just received this link.. George talking about the hidden fortress..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEJ6CzG9zVc&feature=youtu.be

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
This is very well documented commentary and confirmed by Lucas in various interviews about film school and his development as a writer and director. I've still yet to watch either Kurosawa film mentioned in full; I did start watching Seven Samurai 10-15 years ago but never finished it

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Very interesting. I had heard ANH was influenced by various films including some of Kursowa's but I wasn't aware of the title. Thanks for sharing.

x-pack

Grand Master
I had heard this somewhere. Is it in the Empire of Dreams doc or something? Seen some clips of Hidden Fortress on the documentary.

spoons

Grand Master
I watched the Hidden Fortress recently and really couldn't see how Star Wars is based on it

The main similarity is the story from two peasants view, with one really obvious 'stolen' scene where the peasants argue in the desert and go off in opposite directions. But the characters are both thieves and not likeable, unlike R2 and 3PO.

There is a princess trying to get somewhere, and the use of screen wipes, but otherwise in my opinion the similarities end there. No doubt George was influenced by the film but don't go expecting a feudal Japanese Star Wars :)

rdpla

Jedi Knight
and bonus round... (just found out today)

Can anyone name which spy or trekkie was in star wars 7 and their roles....!!

Regards

Robert.

ODB

Jedi Master
Star Wars isn't really a remake of Hidden Fortress at all, there are many differences in characters, plot and even tone. Its also no obscure fact that Lucas has been heavily influenced by Kurosawa, so much so that Lucas along with Coppola convinced 20th Century Fox to finance Kagemusha and distribute it internationally.

Yes Lucas borrowed many directorial and cinematographic traits from Kurosawa, but the characters are alamangations of many ideas from many cultures and lets not forget the plot was put through several people and he heavily used Ralph Mcquarrie to visual his ambitions.

THe Hidden Fortress is a starting point that was then fleshed out with elements from many, many cultures, films and literature. This is probably why it was so popular and so many people can identify with it in some way.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
rdpla said:

Regards

Robert.

Daniel Craig was a Stormtrooper and Simon Pegg was Unkar Plutt... what do I win? :p

x-pack

Grand Master
Cazza said:
rdpla said:

Regards

Robert.

Daniel Craig was a Stormtrooper and Simon Pegg was Unkar Plutt... what do I win? :p

A pat on the back and a sense of smugness :lol: :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom