Who loved the Marvel comics? (and still loves them?)

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
I make no secret of my love for the original Marvel Star Wars comics and the Sunday Express/LA times comic strip. I considered them at the time to be the actual continuing story of Star Wars. I was completely shocked when it appeared that Han Solo had been killed at the hands of Chewbacca in issue 45 of Star Wars Weekly! Today I view the Marvel and comic strip stories as a Star Wars universe that is self-contained and separate from the material that came along later.

There are so many characters to chose from as my favorites but I'd have to pick Crimson Jack and Jolli. The story line set aboard The Wheel is probably the one I enjoyed the most. There were some fantastic stories post-ESB period, and I really had the sense that they were telling the authentic story leading up to Return of the Jedi.

So are there lovers of the original comics and do you have any favorite characters and stories?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I love them, I have not read them all yet. I have all the danish and US marvel comics. But I still miss a few of the uk comics.

But I agree one of the best I have read is the story with crimson jack, but there is also many other great stories.

One of them is the story about the Tarkin, awesome vehicle and I love that story :D or the story on Aduba-3 with the 8 heroes who try to stop a gang and the behemoth monster 8)

Palifan

Sith Lord
Loved them when they first hit the shelves and have a collection of the first 50 as well as the ESB story arc. This was a way of living in the Star Wars universe after leaving the cinema for A New Hope as it took so long for that film to make it out on VHS and on TV. I would look forward each week to the next installment and used to cut pictures out of it to stick in my home made scrapbook.

I'm not sure kids today get the same joy out of comics as there's so much else to keep them busy but for us 70's-80's children this was a big part of affordable entertainment for us all. I've since picked up the 3 graphic novels of the Archie Goodwin arc that was printed in the Sunday papers and really enjoyed those also. Great artwork and good storylines.

I am still getting the latest SW comics at the moment from the US although I will probably stop buying them soon as I was only really going for the Action Figure covers and I think the first 30 will do me. I can always pick up the graphic novels later if I want to continue reading the story but I've enjoyed my time with it.

Ian

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Pomse2001 said:
I love them, I have not read them all yet. I have all the danish and US marvel comics. But I still miss a few of the uk comics.

But I agree one of the best I have read is the story with crimson jack, but there is also many other great stories.

One of them is the story about the Tarkin, awesome vehicle and I love that story :D or the story on Aduba-3 with the 8 heroes who try to stop a gang and the behemoth monster 8)

I agree that the Tarkin storyline is one of the greats. What a great idea it was to have discontented Imperial officers plot to murder Darth Vader. If a story is by David Michelinie or Mary Jo Duffy, you know that it's going to be a classic.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Palifan said:
Loved them when they first hit the shelves and have a collection of the first 50 as well as the ESB story arc. This was a way of living in the Star Wars universe after leaving the cinema for A New Hope as it took so long for that film to make it out on VHS and on TV. I would look forward each week to the next installment and used to cut pictures out of it to stick in my home made scrapbook.

I'm not sure kids today get the same joy out of comics as there's so much else to keep them busy but for us 70's-80's children this was a big part of affordable entertainment for us all. I've since picked up the 3 graphic novels of the Archie Goodwin arc that was printed in the Sunday papers and really enjoyed those also. Great artwork and good storylines.

I am still getting the latest SW comics at the moment from the US although I will probably stop buying them soon as I was only really going for the Action Figure covers and I think the first 30 will do me. I can always pick up the graphic novels later if I want to continue reading the story but I've enjoyed my time with it.

Ian

I couldn't put it better myself. The comics really were our Star Wars fandom back then, and as you say it was affordable. For a few pence, we could read the actual continuing adventures of our heroes. Kids these days have too much else occupying their minds to take a comic to their hearts.

I thought that the post-ESB story arc got off to a bad start, with odd stand alone stories that seemed like they were left-overs from the Star Wars comics - Droid World and The Third Law. The Last Gift From Alderaan and the Dreams of Cody Sunn-Childe were just bizarre. I was a huge Han Solo fan, and the stories just sidelined him completely. Today I only count Crimson Forever and the David Michelinie and Mary Jo Duffy stories as being the actual comic saga.

I was shame we got the comic strip so late in Britain (Jan 1983) but I wasn't complaining at the time. I made my own comic book out of the SW strip printed in the Sunday Express magazine and it looked very professional until the sellotape went funny and it fell to pieces. Perhaps I'll scan and restore the strips one day because I don't know of anyone else who has an entire set.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom