prowse vs lucas and head reveal

poncho

Grand Master
im under the impression prowse pissed off lucas during esb production or esb release.

had ne not clashed with lucas do you think his reward for portraying vader would off been his face in the reveal not shaws?

thoughts

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
I personally think the casting for an actor to play Anakin has been a poor choice, not once, not twice, but thrice.

Jake Lloyd was way too cute and adorable to convey a child that might be conflicted between light and dark.

Hayden Christensen was... well he was hamstrung by poor dialogue and acting inexperience but he was horribly wooden and didn't have the watchable charisma to lead such a big movie.

And Sebastian Shaw looked like some kindly old grandfather from Downton Abbey, when he should have looked like an imposing, craggy military man.

I believe Dave Prowse was wrongly identified as 'leaking' info to the newspapers, and as a result they kept him of set as much as possible for Return Of The Jedi. He also had a thick West Country accent. Personally I think Dave Prowse with the make up and dubbed by James Earl Jones would have been a better option than Sebastian Shaw.

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
Why would he be dubbed by James Earl Jones with the mask off ? The way Vader's voice sounds is because of the mask.

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Would have to be dubbed by someone - hard to believe that with the mask on Vader sounds like James Earl Jones, and Worzel Gummidge with it off.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
I personally think the casting for an actor to play Anakin has been a poor choice, not once, not twice, but thrice.

Jake Lloyd was way too cute and adorable to convey a child that might be conflicted between light and dark.

Hayden Christensen was... well he was hamstrung by poor dialogue and acting inexperience but he was horribly wooden and didn't have the watchable charisma to lead such a big movie.

And Sebastian Shaw looked like some kindly old grandfather from Downton Abbey, when he should have looked like an imposing, craggy military man.

I believe Dave Prowse was wrongly identified as 'leaking' info to the newspapers, and as a result they kept him of set as much as possible for Return Of The Jedi. He also had a thick West Country accent. Personally I think Dave Prowse with the make up and dubbed by James Earl Jones would have been a better option than Sebastian Shaw.

The fact that he looked like a kindly old man added to the scene I think. He looked dead frail and vulnerable under the mask so watching it you feel pity. Prowse in the eighties looked too healthy. When the helmet comes off I expected something scary like the emperor but in the end he was just a broken old man.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Lom said:
Would have to be dubbed by someone - hard to believe that with the mask on Vader sounds like James Earl Jones, and Worzel Gummidge with it off.

Ha ha ha :lol:

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I'm sure I remember an interview with John Peel where he said his mother was in a relationship with Sebastian Shaw. Peel said he liked Star Wars but it ruined the end when Vader's helmet came off and it was his mothers boyfriend underneath.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I agree, Bobby.

The moral being that what seems terrifying is actually just pitiful. I found that hugely important in ROTJ.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Darth Bobby said:
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:

The fact that he looked like a kindly old man added to the scene I think. He looked dead frail and vulnerable under the mask so watching it you feel pity. Prowse in the eighties looked too healthy. When the helmet comes off I expected something scary like the emperor but in the end he was just a broken old man.

Yeah, I agree. For me it drove it home that the Sith Lord was a Wizard of Oz style facade: the man behind this towering, black, menace was just a broken old man. It compelled the 7 year old me to compassion that Wurzel couldn't have conjured. It simply would not have been as effective with a monster behind the mask (no offence, Dave).

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Darth Bobby said:
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:

Yeah, I agree. For me it drove it home that the Sith Lord was a Wizard of Oz style facade: the man behind this towering, black, menace was just a broken old man. It compelled the 7 year old me to compassion that Wurzel couldn't have conjured. It simply would not have been as effective with a monster behind the mask (no offence, Dave).

So right that I like the Wizard of Oz comparison. To me Shaw was the perfect face of a good man behind a facade of hatred, I really had tears in my eyes but that was not only because of the scene in ROTJ. I lost my father when I was only 13 years of age and never got any recognition or love from him. In a kind of way Luke got recognition and some love from his father, who revealed his good side. Wish I had gotten that... :cry:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Mr. Tie said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Darth Bobby said:

So right that I like the Wizard of Oz comparison. To me Shaw was the perfect face of a good man behind a facade of hatred, I really had tears in my eyes but that was not only because of the scene in ROTJ. I lost my father when I was only 13 years of age and never got any recognition or love from him. In a kind of way Luke got recognition and some love from his father, who revealed his good side. Wish I had gotten that... :cry:

Wow. And if this doesn't serve as a brilliant reminder how much SW means different things to different people I don't know what does. Thanks for sharing that, mate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom