Header image

prowse vs lucas and head reveal

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
poncho
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

prowse vs lucas and head reveal

Postby poncho » Wed May 24, 2017 10:56 am

im under the impression prowse pissed off lucas during esb production or esb release.

had ne not clashed with lucas do you think his reward for portraying vader would off been his face in the reveal not shaws?

thoughts

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: prowse vs lucas and head reveal

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Wed May 24, 2017 11:08 am

I personally think the casting for an actor to play Anakin has been a poor choice, not once, not twice, but thrice.

Jake Lloyd was way too cute and adorable to convey a child that might be conflicted between light and dark.

Hayden Christensen was... well he was hamstrung by poor dialogue and acting inexperience but he was horribly wooden and didn't have the watchable charisma to lead such a big movie.

And Sebastian Shaw looked like some kindly old grandfather from Downton Abbey, when he should have looked like an imposing, craggy military man.

I believe Dave Prowse was wrongly identified as 'leaking' info to the newspapers, and as a result they kept him of set as much as possible for Return Of The Jedi. He also had a thick West Country accent. Personally I think Dave Prowse with the make up and dubbed by James Earl Jones would have been a better option than Sebastian Shaw.

ChallengerFox
Regular
Regular

Postby ChallengerFox » Thu May 25, 2017 11:01 pm

Why would he be dubbed by James Earl Jones with the mask off ? The way Vader's voice sounds is because of the mask.

Lom
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Lom » Thu May 25, 2017 11:27 pm

Would have to be dubbed by someone - hard to believe that with the mask on Vader sounds like James Earl Jones, and Worzel Gummidge with it off.
Sith happens.....

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Thu May 25, 2017 11:31 pm

Bonsai_Tree_Ent wrote:I personally think the casting for an actor to play Anakin has been a poor choice, not once, not twice, but thrice.

Jake Lloyd was way too cute and adorable to convey a child that might be conflicted between light and dark.

Hayden Christensen was... well he was hamstrung by poor dialogue and acting inexperience but he was horribly wooden and didn't have the watchable charisma to lead such a big movie.

And Sebastian Shaw looked like some kindly old grandfather from Downton Abbey, when he should have looked like an imposing, craggy military man.

I believe Dave Prowse was wrongly identified as 'leaking' info to the newspapers, and as a result they kept him of set as much as possible for Return Of The Jedi. He also had a thick West Country accent. Personally I think Dave Prowse with the make up and dubbed by James Earl Jones would have been a better option than Sebastian Shaw.

The fact that he looked like a kindly old man added to the scene I think. He looked dead frail and vulnerable under the mask so watching it you feel pity. Prowse in the eighties looked too healthy. When the helmet comes off I expected something scary like the emperor but in the end he was just a broken old man.

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Thu May 25, 2017 11:32 pm

Lom wrote:Would have to be dubbed by someone - hard to believe that with the mask on Vader sounds like James Earl Jones, and Worzel Gummidge with it off.

Ha ha ha :lol:

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Thu May 25, 2017 11:37 pm

I'm sure I remember an interview with John Peel where he said his mother was in a relationship with Sebastian Shaw. Peel said he liked Star Wars but it ruined the end when Vader's helmet came off and it was his mothers boyfriend underneath.

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Fri May 26, 2017 7:03 am

I do believe that Prowse leaked, although unintentional, the plot of ESB. Alcohol loosens lips.
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Sun May 28, 2017 10:42 pm

I agree, Bobby.

The moral being that what seems terrifying is actually just pitiful. I found that hugely important in ROTJ.

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Mon May 29, 2017 4:19 pm

Darth Bobby wrote:
Bonsai_Tree_Ent wrote:I personally think the casting for an actor to play Anakin has been a poor choice, not once, not twice, but thrice.

The fact that he looked like a kindly old man added to the scene I think. He looked dead frail and vulnerable under the mask so watching it you feel pity. Prowse in the eighties looked too healthy. When the helmet comes off I expected something scary like the emperor but in the end he was just a broken old man.

Yeah, I agree. For me it drove it home that the Sith Lord was a Wizard of Oz style facade: the man behind this towering, black, menace was just a broken old man. It compelled the 7 year old me to compassion that Wurzel couldn't have conjured. It simply would not have been as effective with a monster behind the mask (no offence, Dave).

Mr. Tie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Mr. Tie » Mon May 29, 2017 5:38 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
Darth Bobby wrote:

Yeah, I agree. For me it drove it home that the Sith Lord was a Wizard of Oz style facade: the man behind this towering, black, menace was just a broken old man. It compelled the 7 year old me to compassion that Wurzel couldn't have conjured. It simply would not have been as effective with a monster behind the mask (no offence, Dave).

So right that I like the Wizard of Oz comparison. To me Shaw was the perfect face of a good man behind a facade of hatred, I really had tears in my eyes but that was not only because of the scene in ROTJ. I lost my father when I was only 13 years of age and never got any recognition or love from him. In a kind of way Luke got recognition and some love from his father, who revealed his good side. Wish I had gotten that... :cry:
“Would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?!”

http://i.giphy.com/jpmSERAYR23YI.gif

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Mon May 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Mr. Tie wrote:
ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
Darth Bobby wrote:

So right that I like the Wizard of Oz comparison. To me Shaw was the perfect face of a good man behind a facade of hatred, I really had tears in my eyes but that was not only because of the scene in ROTJ. I lost my father when I was only 13 years of age and never got any recognition or love from him. In a kind of way Luke got recognition and some love from his father, who revealed his good side. Wish I had gotten that... :cry:

Wow. And if this doesn't serve as a brilliant reminder how much SW means different things to different people I don't know what does. Thanks for sharing that, mate.

Return to “Star Wars Films”