Return of the Jedi Super 8mm

Starrider

Youngling
My names Paul Berry and I'm currently writing a book on Star Wars Memorabilia due for release from Amberley publishing next year. One of the chapters covers Star Wars home entertainment and I'm covering the super 8mm releases. I know Ken films did compilations for Star Wars and Empire but in 1989 Derann released the whole of the first movie, this was apparently followed by a release of Return of the Jedi but details are very sketchy. Anybody know how many reels it was, and when exactly it was released?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Are you saying Derann released the ENTIRE ANH film on 8mm film? Wow. At first I didn't think that was even remotely possible, but I have a projector that can take a reel with 800 feet of film which plays for about 30 minutes, so I guess if you factor that up you end up with 4 full reels of film. Actually, thinking about it, if it's Super 8mm with sound I think those reels only take 600 feet, so you could be talking a film taking up six reels. That's mammoth. Given the original 8mm release of ANH, in colour with a running time of about 15 mins cost an insane amount in 1977 (think it was over £40 and that was back in the 70s) this must have cost the equivalent of a car.

Not sure why they would bother, either: by 1989 home movies had really given way to the VHS tape. As far as I was aware they didn't even release ROTJ on 8mm in the UK due to the success of VHS. Why they would go to the expense of releasing ANH in 1989, 5 years later, is a mystery. I have my doubts.....

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Well bugger me sideways and call me Roberta.....

Well worth a read if you haven't done so already. It confirms that Derann most definitely did release ANH but that the ROTJ release was probably a bootleg from a US firm and not of all the reels, either:

http://savestarwars.com/starwarsonfilm.html

This has to be a proper grail item. Sounds like it's the only way mere mortals will ever get to see ANH as it was seen in the cinema with the same feel, too. Amazing. I now absolutely must have one. Damn you.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
What a truly odd thing to release in 1989. I can't get the link to work, sadly. When you say it might recreate the cinema experience, am I right in assuming it would have been in 4/3 though?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
chipsteak said:
What a truly odd thing to release in 1989. I can't get the link to work, sadly. When you say it might recreate the cinema experience, am I right in assuming it would have been in 4/3 though?

Just checked the link and it works OK for me?

Nope, not 4:3 but in glorious Cinemascope! An adaptor was required for most home movie projectors but you can get them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom