Header image

Return of the Jedi Super 8mm

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
Starrider
New User
New User

Return of the Jedi Super 8mm

Postby Starrider » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:23 pm

My names Paul Berry and I'm currently writing a book on Star Wars Memorabilia due for release from Amberley publishing next year. One of the chapters covers Star Wars home entertainment and I'm covering the super 8mm releases. I know Ken films did compilations for Star Wars and Empire but in 1989 Derann released the whole of the first movie, this was apparently followed by a release of Return of the Jedi but details are very sketchy. Anybody know how many reels it was, and when exactly it was released?

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Return of the Jedi Super 8mm

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Are you saying Derann released the ENTIRE ANH film on 8mm film? Wow. At first I didn't think that was even remotely possible, but I have a projector that can take a reel with 800 feet of film which plays for about 30 minutes, so I guess if you factor that up you end up with 4 full reels of film. Actually, thinking about it, if it's Super 8mm with sound I think those reels only take 600 feet, so you could be talking a film taking up six reels. That's mammoth. Given the original 8mm release of ANH, in colour with a running time of about 15 mins cost an insane amount in 1977 (think it was over £40 and that was back in the 70s) this must have cost the equivalent of a car.

Not sure why they would bother, either: by 1989 home movies had really given way to the VHS tape. As far as I was aware they didn't even release ROTJ on 8mm in the UK due to the success of VHS. Why they would go to the expense of releasing ANH in 1989, 5 years later, is a mystery. I have my doubts.....

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:28 pm

Well bugger me sideways and call me Roberta.....

Well worth a read if you haven't done so already. It confirms that Derann most definitely did release ANH but that the ROTJ release was probably a bootleg from a US firm and not of all the reels, either:

http://savestarwars.com/starwarsonfilm.html

This has to be a proper grail item. Sounds like it's the only way mere mortals will ever get to see ANH as it was seen in the cinema with the same feel, too. Amazing. I now absolutely must have one. Damn you.

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:00 am

What a truly odd thing to release in 1989. I can't get the link to work, sadly. When you say it might recreate the cinema experience, am I right in assuming it would have been in 4/3 though?

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:26 pm

There was no official release of ROTJ on 8mm that ive ever seen.

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:16 am

chipsteak wrote:What a truly odd thing to release in 1989. I can't get the link to work, sadly. When you say it might recreate the cinema experience, am I right in assuming it would have been in 4/3 though?

Just checked the link and it works OK for me?

Nope, not 4:3 but in glorious Cinemascope! An adaptor was required for most home movie projectors but you can get them.

Return to “Star Wars Films”