Header image

Has Disney ruined Star Wars?

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
Toontotalwar
New User
New User

Re: Has Disney ruined Star Wars?

Postby Toontotalwar » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Well my tuppence in all this is that since Disney took over all there interested in is the kids market with the new movies as they certainly do not appeal to me as an original trilogy buff!

I understand that Disney is a business and they must look to the new audience and the next generation of Star Wars fans. I think they nicely plugged the gap with Rogue One but would have loved to seen the original version that Gareth Edwards filmed which was a "Gritty War Movie" as this version again was toned down to appeal to all ages. Disney do not want to forget the first time rounders of this franchise like me cause as an avid collector I have the spending power to buy the Sideshow, Gentle Giant and Hot Toys merchandise that most kids can probably never afford to buy!

Will be interesting to see what comes of the new character based movies such as the Han Solo movie and Yoda, Boba Fett and Obi Wan which are all in the pipeline for production. I also here that there is a Twilight Company movie in discussion to keep the Original trilogy buffs like me entertained! A battle on Hoth movie, yes please!!!

I certainly will not be rushing to see the Last Jedi but will obviously watch it at some stage as it is a "Star Wars" movie!

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:38 am

No Disney hasn't ruined Star Wars. As mentioned above there's been a ton of rubbish Star Wars things released over the years and I'd argue they added a pile of tat to Star Wars that's best simply ignored.

As for Disney. I thought TFA was quite good. I'm in a minority that thinks Rogue One is terrible, but these films are quite clearly additional fodder and are take-them-or-leave-them material. If I 'took' Rogue One it would undermine certain things in the original. Instead, I'll watch the original as it existed at the time as I do with any films that spwaned lots of sequels.

Disney ruining Star Wars would be like saying Pink Floyd's Division Bell ruined Dark Side Of The Moon.

Toontotalwar
New User
New User

Postby Toontotalwar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:38 am

Interested to know what you thought in Rogue One was undermining the original trilogy. They got it spot on after 40 years we now understand how the rebels obtained the Death Star plans and there was nothing in Rogue One that I could identify would open up any problems for the trilogy? in fact it leads on very well to a New Hope.

Cazza
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Cazza » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:44 am

Thought Steve summed it up perfectly. There is so much genuine Star Wars love going into these new movies, which is really reassuring. Its our generation who are getting to make these movies now. Also have a lot of faith in Kathleen Kennedy.

Loved TFA and R1. Sure, TFA played it a bit safe, but the new characters are great and it felt like SW again. There were also some fabulous moments like the escape from Jakku. Can't wait for TLJ and Han Solo. The rumoured runtime for TLJ is 2:30, it could be absolutely epic 8)
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:11 am

Toontotalwar wrote:Interested to know what you thought in Rogue One was undermining the original trilogy. They got it spot on after 40 years we now understand how the rebels obtained the Death Star plans and there was nothing in Rogue One that I could identify would open up any problems for the trilogy? in fact it leads on very well to a New Hope.

I find the scale of both Empire and Rebels to be wildly out of sync. The bad guys throw the entire Empire at the people stealing the plans but when they come back to attack the Death Star they send a dozen Tie Fighters for cover. Leia's small band of freedom fighters seem much bigger and more established than we saw on Star Wars too. But, hey, that's sequels and prequels - everything has to be bigger and better.

I feel Luke's achievement could be undermined a little too now that we know it was an intentional flaw, not that I really understand the point of putting a flaw in that wound require the greatest force user in the galaxy to successfully pull off anyway.

Anyway, that's all slightly off topic because ultimately I don't believe the new films ruin anything as the OP asked. I watch all classic films in the context of their release time and do the same with their sequels. I don't care about Psycho 2 when I'm watching Psycho, for example even though I enjoy that sequel in its own continuity.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Here's another one to piss people off about the timeline being ruined.

The Death Star plans and other crappy little blueprints are protected by a planet-wide force field on Scarif, but the Death Star itself in ANH..... no force field :lol:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:48 pm

That's it. All ruined. Reasonably sized but nothing special collection going up for sale tomorrow.

:)

db94
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby db94 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:22 pm

Well I'm no fan of the new stuff, had they been honest from the start and say they we copying the old films for a new generation I'd have been less pissed off with them - sat in the cinema and I kid you not had a tear in my eye when I read TFA opening crawl - then sat and got really pissed off watching as I realised it was ANH 2.0.

Prequels for me are unwatchable - just fuckin dross, CGI shit fest.

But to answer the question about Disney - no not at all, quite simply because everyone's SW experience is different and I'm fine with that - trust me that wasn't always the case. When TFA came out and everyone was gushing about it I damn near quit this place in disgust but realise now that having that kinda attitude towards others is just wrong.

Have no intention of watching any other of the new films, just not for me just like the whole expanded universe that came before it, never bought into that - the 3 films were always enough for me and that isn't going to change but glad others are enjoying it. For me nothing can spoil "my" Star Wars so Disney can pump out as many films a year as they want covering every characters back story - it's not for me so I simply won't watch them.
My vintage/modern collection viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14191

Toontotalwar
New User
New User

Postby Toontotalwar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Db94, well said and I cannot agree with you more! You covered that off well.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:18 am

I cried in a sad way when I read that Luke Skywalker was missing like 5 seconds in :lol:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:04 pm

Don't be so bloody ridiculous!! Of course they haven't. Kathleen will see us right :D

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:58 am

Robstyley wrote:Don't be so bloody ridiculous!! Of course they haven't. Kathleen will see us right :D

Simple but effective 8)
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

ED_P
New User
New User

Postby ED_P » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:35 pm

I would say no. Nothing beats the original trilogy but Disney has already made improvements with TFA compared to the prequel trilogy.

Return to “Star Wars Films”