SPOILER FREE Reviews/Reaction to TLJ

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah, early reviews are really good. Getting excited now, could be epic. :)

:arrow:

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I didn't like it.- But don't worry- I usually don't like a Star Wars film the first time I watch one.

But im dead excited to watch it again.

There is WAY to much to process.

Some odd choices.

Some amazing parts.

Its going to take many, many views to get a handle on this.

Its nothing like ESB.

darth_daddius

Jedi Knight
Yeah, I'm still in two minds about it. Great scenes and some really funny parts - I really liked the humour - but there were some bits I just didn't know about. Some very unexpected turns too.

It definitely entertained and was a big movie. ESB is still my fav tho.

Pat

DARTH VADER

Jedi Knight
Don't try to compare this, or any other modern era Star Wars movie, with the classic trilogy we grew up with. They will NEVER match them...that magic was spent a long time ago...but for now, in this day and age...we can enjoy this...for it is still relative to Star Wars and good enough to be deemed so. A good movie...not great but good. There are some surprises...and some things I really enjoyed, others not quite so much...but overall, good job.

av6

Jedi Knight
Just got back from midnight showing. Absolute garbage. Walked out. I'm absolutely heartbroken what they've done with it.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Absolutely terrible, was desperate to walk out, soon as it finished both my wife and daughter said they also wanted to walk out.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Loved it, but sooooo much to process. Will need to see it several more times to truly process it. There were several bits that I wasn't sure about, but then I compared to bits from the original trilogy and realised that they were actually right on the money in terms of feel.

94% from 199 reviews on RT!

Leemcl

Jedi Master
I watched it through tired eyes ( tired for the day. Tired at 41years old ) was not overly impressed. A good film. But that's all I felt. A couple of moments which were absolutely fantastic though.

Going again on Saturday so will hopefully get more out of second viewing

spoons

Grand Master
Went to a double bill, which I dont think helped TLJ as TFA was still excellent after not having seen it for a year and Last Jedi didn't match it for quality.

Thought it had a poor start not helped by people cackling through every pun, which gave it a probably unfair feel of being too slapstick. Suspect on second viewing it won't be so bad but still a feeling of Star Wars parody in parts.

The story was good but overlong, with even a bit of a prequel feel to one unnecessary scene. Its hard not to focus on the negatives but definitely enjoyed it so a strong 7/10 from me. I preferred TFA and Rogue Squadron although TFA had to grow on me so not giving up on Jedi yet.

running on fumes today - i need some sleep :)

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
I'm not going untill tomorrow night but reading all this it's not what i was expecting to hear.

People saying its terrible and wanted to walk out it doesn't sound good.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Thought it was great, some random bits where they need a George Lucas to say no you can't do that, but overall very good, already prefer it over TFA. As already said their is a lot to take in, but I don't really change my opinion of a film after 2 or 3 views. Thought the start was rubbish. Luke was brilliant and the humour subtle. Didn't want it to end and really not sure where they are going with the story which is a good thing as long as Lucasfilm and Disney know!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Thought it was great, some random bits where they need a George Lucas to say no you can't do that, but overall very good, already prefer it over TFA. As already said their is a lot to take in, but I don't really change my opinion of a film after 2 or 3 views. Thought the start was rubbish. Luke was brilliant and the humour subtle. Didn't want it to end and really not sure where they are going with the story which is a good thing as long as Lucasfilm and Disney know!

I pretty much disagree with every single word of this. Bar the bit about needing to speak to George Lucas a wee bit more. Who would have thought a sensible level headed Liverpool fan and a deluded glory hunting Utd fan would disagree on something!? :lol: :wink:

For me it's a very poor film. Plot is utter bollocks. The holes in it are just so glaring. If you're 6 years old you won't see them and won't mind, but for any grown adult with a double digit IQ, you're left sitting there just wondering WTF is going on. With decent editing the film could have been 45 mins to an hour shorter, actually maybe more now that I think about it. That tells you all you need to know about it. Hard to say more without giving bits away.

Soooooooooo disappointed

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
You hit the nail on the head Weasel a 6 year old won't see the glaring holes in the plot and that is why we ignore the plot holes in the origional trilogy. BECAUSE STAR WARS IS A CHIlDRENS FRANCHISE. Yes I can't really argue with most of your points, because you have a point and yes I thought what are they doing with some bits. But Disney can't make a Star Wars film for a bunch of 35 to 50 year olds who grew up masterbating over Princess Leia in a bikini!

We can discuss how bad this film was in parts, but for me I don't let some badly executed ideas ruin what is a fun film. You can vent your anger to how bad this film was in your opinion as much as you like, but what's the point, the film wasn't made for you. It was made for someone 30 years younger.

I've already said it was a bad idea making this trilogy, I've always thought that even in the interviews with George Lucas discussing the sequel trilogy before he sold out. I'll admit I'm a little disappointed, but really, it's a Star Wars film made by Disney in 2017. Like Liverpool's title hopes in the last 20 Year's we need to be realistic with expectations. :D

As for the glory hunting Man Utd comment, give me a break. When I started supporting Man Utd their was only one team to support and that was Liverpool. Everyone supported them, especially in Cornwall and everywhere else in the UK. :wink: I was 10 before I saw Man Utd lift a trophy, I'd seen Liverpool win everything by then! I grew up surrounded by glory hunters and they all supported Liverpool!

I think it's by far Mark Hamill's best performance as Luke Skywalker. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom