Header image

The Last Jedi - **SPOILERS THREAD**

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
Davaider
New User
New User

Re: The Last Jedi - **SPOILERS THREAD**

Postby Davaider » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:14 pm

After watching it 3 times , I think TLJ has been given some unfair criticism. Don’t get me wrong I don’t think the film is Brilliant from Start to End, But the Showdown Scene With Luke and Kylo Ren is Awesome IMO. Love it when Luke Slides/Moves and the Snow/Ice Doesn’t turn Red.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:16 pm

One thing I have to applaud… this set. So good to have the production of these films back at Elstree, building major sets, utilising practical costumes and FX for these new SW flicks. This particular set has a real Flash Gordon emperor Ming vibe. Love it! (Didn't Jez and some of the lads from here have a nose around Elstree during filming?)

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:18 pm

No Matt, that was Solo at Pinewood.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Just checked Wikipedia and The Last Jedi was shot at Pinewood too not Elstree, my mistake!

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:18 pm

I've seen TLJ for the first time today, and have managed to get through the first 4 or so pages of this thread. I look forward to reading the remainder over the next few days!

I came to TLJ completely fresh; I managed to avoid spoilers and didn't even see any of the trailers. It was a very different film to what I'd expected, and I must say I enjoyed it all the more for that (well, apart from Leia Poppins). I love the fact that Rey (probably) isn't anyone special - that'd be too obvious; I love Kylo Ren killing Snoke and taking his place; I love that we've returned to a character-driven story with characters I actually care about. And I loved that it felt like a completely new Star Wars film that wasn't over-relying on its own mythos (Hi there TFA) and was - in some cases literally- burning that history to the ground. If Star Wars is going to continue it needs to do so with new characters and new stories.

I understand that some of the things TLJ has done make it a divisive film; killing Luke, the number of plot holes of varying sizes, some of the humour, that bloody CGI Yoda, and did I mention Leia Poppins? I respect that everyone's entitled to their opinion of what makes good and bad Star Wars, but some of the over-reactions on here are hilarious.

This felt, to me, to be the most original film since ESB; I'm not necessarily saying the best, but certainly the most original, and I honestly believe that the current generation of kids will look upon this as their 'Empire'.

Just watch... I'll probably see it again in a couple of weeks and hate it!! :lol:

_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby _Lee_ » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Bonsai_Tree_Ent wrote:One thing I have to applaud… this set. So good to have the production of these films back at Elstree, building major sets, utilising practical costumes and FX for these new SW flicks. This particular set has a real Flash Gordon emperor Ming vibe. Love it! (Didn't Jez and some of the lads from here have a nose around Elstree during filming?)

That's an empty 'Yorkshire tea' teabags box design :D
Vintage toys ,prop and autograph collector and Luton Town FC supporter.
Also try to play guitar with the guy in my avatar as an inspiration!
JASON BECKER STILL THE BEST EVER AND STILL HERE DESPITE A.L.S.

Cazza
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Cazza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:28 pm

I love this scene as well- especially those weird ring wraith dudes with glowing purple eyes 8)

Peeky- yoda was a puppet again... exact replica of the old one apparently.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Cazza wrote:I love this scene as well- especially those weird ring wraith dudes with glowing purple eyes 8)

Peeky- yoda was a puppet again... exact replica of the old one apparently.

Come on the glowing stuff around Yoda which is minimised in certain scenes and basically discarded so Yoda doesn’t even look like a force ghost is not CGI? It’s boarder line disrespectful in my eyes. You can’t ignore that CGI when the prequels we’re ripped for the same mistakes.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:11 am

Its not CGI.

It was a puppet developed by the Nick Maley.

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:05 am

I stand corrected on Yoda. Was it really meant to be an exact replica of the original though?

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:24 am

So the blue glowing stuff around Yoda is not CGI? I know it’s a puppet which I don’t have a problem with it’s the fact he doesn’t look like a force ghost which annoyed me. Probably going for another view this week so it doesn’t bother me that much.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:41 am

theforceuk wrote:So the blue glowing stuff around Yoda is not CGI? I know it’s a puppet which I don’t have a problem with it’s the fact he doesn’t look like a force ghost which annoyed me. Probably going for another view this week so it doesn’t bother me that much.

I'd made a comment that Yoda himself was CG. Cazza pointed out it was a puppet. Unless Disney have some serious shit going on then I imagine the glowing stuff was CG.

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Perhaps the ability to project itself as a real apparition was foreshadowing for what Luke was going to do at the end of the film..............? :shock:

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:43 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
Palifan wrote:....One last thing is reading through the comments there's a lot of hate/negativity out there for DJ but who's to say that's the last we'll see of him. I actually thought he was an interesting character and am hoping to see him again in the next one (it might happen!).

Ian

Absolutely. Great character. Like a dark Han Solo. He didn't see good vs. evil or light vs. dark he simply saw opportunity and profit.

There were a handful of thought provoking points in the film but the one I enjoyed the most was the part with the holographic display table demonstrating who owned the ship they'd just stolen. Oooooh, bad guy: an arms dealer to the First Order. What a bastard. Oh, and the Resistance, too. The realisation the universe was not filled simply with First Order, Resistance or (remains of) the Republic, but with people who carried on their lives regardless of who was in control and who actually had an interest in these idealists carrying on fighting and dying. Without their sacrifice for their respective causes there'd be no market for more TIE fighters and X-Wings. Brilliant.

Absolutely spot on.

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Watched I again on my phone and It was marginally better second time round. I just closed my eyes for the Superleia part.

Return to “Star Wars Films”