Han Solo movie: what do you think?

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
After spending some time on YouTube watching and listening to all the critics about TLJ I got tired about it and found some information about the forthcoming Han Solo movie.

It seems that some of us are still excited about this movie, but after TLJ I am done with all of it. Can't image that self respecting fans care about more sh**, but hey, there are some facts that put a smile on my face.

The Millennium Falcon will be different from the one we are used to, more a freighter than a warship. She will be painted in a blue scheme and very collectable because of it. Yeah, right, putting more GBP's or USD's into this lousy franchise, no, I don't thinks so...

And there will be some speeder cars, oh yeah, reminds me of podracing, brilliant part of TPM. What the f*** do they think? Trying to connect the prequels and everything will be okay? No, I don't think so...

Just found me a new hobby, collecting Matchbox Stingray toys. Really nice and wonderful how Gerry Anderson made these series. In the background I listen to Mick Jagger singing 'it's all over now', really comforting...

falcon.png

Attachments

• speeder car.png
    speeder car.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,368

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
I cant wait to to see a new star wars film loved the last jedi was not to concerned at the time about Han Solo story but now i cant wait to see it. you dont have to spend money on items if you dont like them.

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
Grant_C said:
Gerry Anderson Sucks.

Matchbox cars are bullshit for losers.
Oh Grant, you really don't understand any of this, do you? I am not talking about cars at all. Calling Gerry Anderson that way, well, you British are some strange folks after all :wink:

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Stingray is putting chemicals in the water that's turning the frekin frogs gay.

And Mick Jagger is nothing but a propagandist for Tracy Island and now everything is ruined. Except spinning, which is beautiful artistic trick.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm really looking forward to the Solo film, I'm thinking the stand alone films are aimed more for our generation. Rogue 1 was certainly more towards what I am looking for in a new Star Wars film, so fingers crossed. I hope Jabba, Boba Fett and the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsec's all happen in this film. I wont judge it until I've seen it though. :)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I saw something about it in the paper the other day.
Not sure what to expect. After TLJ I still feel incredibly let down. I wasn't expecting a film purely designed to keep us old boys happy. I get/understand/accept that it has to move on and that things will change etc. I just think the last film was a rank BAD film. The plot was sooo poor. Coming from a studio the size of Disney and knowing that a hell of a lot of people would go to see a SW film, they really should have spent a bit more time working on a plot. It's just as if they lifted the story from a secondary school English homework and padded it out a bit. That's really ruined it for me.
I liked TFA though I fully accept, and I think I pointed out at the time, it was just a rehash of ANH. I also liked Rogue one. It's not "brilliant" but it's the sort of film you can put on and happily kill 2 hours. It's not a classic. It's not a patch on the OT, granted nothing will be for most of us. I wouldn't even say R1 gets anywhere near my top 20 or even 50 films of all time, but it's a perfectly good film.

Will the Solo movie follow R1 and be solid if unspectacular, or will it be more of TLJ-esque Hollywood BS of 100 million on cast, ditto special effects/CG, ditto advertising and a script from a primary school child? For the record, I also think the Alien franchise has similar issues. There is so much potential with both films but the studios keep churning out shite.

I suspect I'll let a load of you guys go and see Solo first, read your opinions (in the spoiler free thread) and then make my mind up. If I go and it's pish like TLJ that will be me done with the new SW films. I can't see me going to Episode 9 after the travesty that was TLJ.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Ohh and a repainted Falcon doesn't bother me too much. A bit strange but I guess they are trying to show that it is set in a different time etc and that's a pretty easy way to instantly show that. Plus obviously it will allow them to try and flog more merchandise.
Speeder cars does sound a tad pod-racing ish, but I'll give it the benefit f the doubt until I see it.

yoda

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
I'm really looking forward to the Solo film, I'm thinking the stand alone films are aimed more for our generation. Rogue 1 was certainly more towards what I am looking for in a new Star Wars film, so fingers crossed. I hope Jabba, Boba Fett and the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsec's all happen in this film. I wont judge it until I've seen it though. :)

That's also how I have felt after watching the latest 3 new movies regarding Rouge 1. I enjoyed the TFA and could watch it again many times. I didn't enjoy TLJ it just didn't have that same Star Wars feel to it for me. The TLJ to me feels no different from watching X-Men or Transformers it's an entertaining movie but didn't have the magical feel that I love about Star Wars. I honestly feel it's the to much use of CGI that's main put off for me. Things just start getting silly in parts and made me cringe.
I felt more of a connection with R1 so I am remaining positive about it. Alway it's about Han who could hate a movie about his adventures :)

yoda

Sith Lord
Also regarding the time span between these movies I don't believe it makes me judge them differently. I just just fell some of the new Star Wars movies made since the originals are just terrible. Way to much CGI is not helping them things look just draft in parts. No matter how many times I watch them they just don't seem right.
I know it's not on the same scale as Star Wars but I always loved the old Rocky and Rambo movies. After it came out Stallone was making new Rambo and Rocky movies I thought it was a really bad move. I really felt he was going to totally **** them up completely. But after watching them I felt he pulled it off with both! even with the 2 new Rocky movies I loved them. So I believe it can be done over a time span if you you don't screw around with the backgrounds and main story. Which I now feel happened with the TLJ and it's resulted in a very divided opinion on it.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Mr. Tie said:
After spending some time on YouTube watching and listening to all the critics about TLJ I got tired about it and found some information about the forthcoming Han Solo movie.

It seems that some of us are still excited about this movie, but after TLJ I am done with all of it. Can't image that self respecting fans care about more sh**, but hey, there are some facts that put a smile on my face.

The Millennium Falcon will be different from the one we are used to, more a freighter than a warship. She will be painted in a blue scheme and very collectable because of it. Yeah, right, putting more GBP's or USD's into this lousy franchise, no, I don't thinks so...

And there will be some speeder cars, oh yeah, reminds me of podracing, brilliant part of TPM. What the f*** do they think? Trying to connect the prequels and everything will be okay? No, I don't think so...

Just found me a new hobby, collecting Matchbox Stingray toys. Really nice and wonderful how Gerry Anderson made these series. In the background I listen to Mick Jagger singing 'it's all over now', really comforting...

falcon.png

Just an idea, maybe you could just find a Matchbox forum and start posting positive stuff on there instead of continually negative stuff on here. You obviously detest SW now, so why bother keep coming on here posting nothing but negativity. Unless your main aim is to simply be a troll of course?

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Can't wait!

I was notably dubious at first; I thought a stand alone on a central character was a step too far. However, Ron Howard IMO makes good films, the cast (lead male aside of course) all have excellent pedigree.

Most importantly though it's Star Wars and if the last two trilogy movies proved anything it's that Disney have a real handle on how to make a great swashbuckling kid's adventure flick that's full of excitement, fantasy and laughs... an audience I'm not above being part of :D

In R1 they proved they made something a tiny bit more serious to appease the fan boys, I happily fit into that audience too... so I'm pretty sure that Han Solo is gonna be awesome whichever audience they aim it at.

All I hope is that Fett, Yoda, Kenobi and Vader are left in the past as these new films keep coming, all have had history put on film in the prequels and Clone Wars... it's gonna get a bit dull if there are just more rehashes of past childhood heroes when the galaxy is so very large and so many stories yet to be written or filmed...

spoons

Grand Master
Enough with you Stingray critis - I love Stingray!

Personally I'm reaching new film saturation and enthusiasm for Solo is low. Saying that i'll most likely go to the midnight screening and love it but at the moment a new Star Wars film every year feels too much for me. Same thing happened with Marvel, loved the first films but paid little attention to new films after a the second X-Men.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Think I'll probably watch the film before posting my views on it. Seems more sensible that way.

And when was the MF 'more a warship than a freighter'? Have you ever looked aI it? It's a freighter with 2 quads. It couldn't be less like a warship.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I'm ambivalent so far. I'm not massively keen on the concept but I've learned that going into them with little expectation allows me to enjoy them for what they are rather than dislike them for what they aren't. The results being that I find them to be quite good in the main.

As for them changing the Falcon to sell more toys? That would never have happened under the old Lucasfilm. :rolleyes:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
SAVORY100 said:
All I hope is that Fett, Yoda, Kenobi and Vader are left in the past as these new films keep coming, all have had history put on film in the prequels and Clone Wars... it's gonna get a bit dull if there are just more rehashes of past childhood heroes when the galaxy is so very large and so many stories yet to be written or filmed...

I think a Vader film set just after ROTS could be great. Assuming there are still Jedi scattered around the Galaxy, could be good. It could be the film many wished they had got with the prequels? :? :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom