Header image

Why do most SW fans say ESB is the best film in the OT?

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Why do most SW fans say ESB is the best film in the OT?

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:53 pm

You old romantic Lars :lol:

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:18 pm

If pushed I would probably say ESB is my favourite, but that doesn't mean I think the other two (yes there are only three Star Wars films) are inferior. All three are masterpieces, and very different. ESB has the best sabre fight IMO - not the most technical, but that old saying "less is more." It has a perfect balance of action and suspense without being choreographed like a music video, something modern films don't seem to get. I also like the fact it ends in stalemate.

Crumm
Regular
Regular

Postby Crumm » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:03 pm

edd_jedi wrote:If pushed I would probably say ESB is my favourite, but that doesn't mean I think the other two (yes there are only three Star Wars films) are inferior. All three are masterpieces, and very different. ESB has the best sabre fight IMO - not the most technical, but that old saying "less is more." It has a perfect balance of action and suspense without being choreographed like a music video, something modern films don't seem to get. I also like the fact it ends in stalemate.

That's a good point, no one really "wins" the fight as such.

Luke comes off the worst but there is no real winner. Keeps the audience on the hook :D
"How much you wanna bet I could throw a football over them mountains!"

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm

edd_jedi wrote:If pushed I would probably say ESB is my favourite, but that doesn't mean I think the other two (yes there are only three Star Wars films) are inferior. All three are masterpieces, and very different. ESB has the best sabre fight IMO - not the most technical, but that old saying "less is more." It has a perfect balance of action and suspense without being choreographed like a music video, something modern films don't seem to get. I also like the fact it ends in stalemate.

I was listening to the VR podcast and they had someone discussing this, saying that the older kids thought it was awesome because they could get their heads around the stalemate and the cliffhanger, but he was a younger kid and just didn’t get the concept of good not winning or the film not concluding. I guess as a younger kid at the time when I watched the movies, this rings true and I just didn’t get it either at the time and that has influenced the way I feel about it today.

tobedesu
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby tobedesu » Mon May 14, 2018 9:43 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:

I was listening to the VR podcast and they had someone discussing this, saying that the older kids thought it was awesome because they could get their heads around the stalemate and the cliffhanger, but he was a younger kid and just didn’t get the concept of good not winning or the film not concluding. I guess as a younger kid at the time when I watched the movies, this rings true and I just didn’t get it either at the time and that has influenced the way I feel about it today.

Yeah, I get that too.
I watched the double bill of star wars and empire at the thatre when I was about 7.
When I was a kid I think ROTJ was my favourite, mainly down to the Jabba scenes.
Star Wars fascinated me too as it was an introduction to the characters and the Tatooine sets were great along with all the droids and creatures.
As I got older, star wars still gives me the biggest thrills especially the first two thirds of the film. It's pure nostalgia when I watch it.

However, I began to get Empire when watched again in my teens.
These days it is my favourite.
It doesn't have the creature scenes like the other two which I loved as a kid.
It's obviously darker and grimmer. Throughout the film it seems like our heroes are always on the back foot, forever in peril, and that's exactly how it plays out.
It doesn't feel like a complete film, rather the link between 4 and 6.
The development between Han and Leia is great and the opening sequence and final fight are brilliant.

Return to “Star Wars Films”