Header image

i believe that R1 will be a future cult classic

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
Crumm
Regular
Regular

Re: i believe that R1 will be a future cult classic

Postby Crumm » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:03 am

Nah.

It was mediocre at best. It certainly would not deserve the status of cult classic.

When you look at other cult classics:

Blade Runner
Pulp Fiction & Reservoir Dogs
Donnie Darko
Fight Club
A Clockwork Orange
Vertigo

I really don't think R1 deserves that status. It will certainly have a cult following (as Star Wars always has had) but I don't think it deserves to be hailed as a classic, cult or otherwise.
"How much you wanna bet I could throw a football over them mountains!"

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:56 pm

How the hell do you class Pulp Fiction as a cult classic?!?! Literally one of the most publicly liked and hyped films in the past 25 years. I can't name a person that hasn't seen it.. Fight club comes close to this too... then in your closing comment to suggest Star Wars fits into the cult section just underlines your lack of understanding of the terminology... Its a frickin' family film that for decades has been shown on national TV every bloody Christmas!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

The others OK; I personally don't get Blade Runner, never have, but I do understand that many do and therefore don't go onto Bladerunner forums just to waste my time being negative about it, but to suggest that R1 can't be one is as ridiculous as your list; everyone gets the message that you don't like Star Wars films, so why bother commenting...

Next time you want to reference cult classic films try a little harder:

- Eraserhead
- Naked Lunch
- True Romance (if you really must have a Tarrantino film)
- Clerks
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:55 pm

True Romance, now that is a Cult Classic. ‘What is this Mother Fucking wide boy day?’
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Crumm
Regular
Regular

Postby Crumm » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:07 pm

SAVORY100 wrote:How the hell do you class Pulp Fiction as a cult classic?!?! Literally one of the most publicly liked and hyped films in the past 25 years. I can't name a person that hasn't seen it.. Fight club comes close to this too... then in your closing comment to suggest Star Wars fits into the cult section just underlines your lack of understanding of the terminology... Its a frickin' family film that for decades has been shown on national TV every bloody Christmas!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

The others OK; I personally don't get Blade Runner, never have, but I do understand that many do and therefore don't go onto Bladerunner forums just to waste my time being negative about it, but to suggest that R1 can't be one is as ridiculous as your list; everyone gets the message that you don't like Star Wars films, so why bother commenting...

Next time you want to reference cult classic films try a little harder:

- Eraserhead
- Naked Lunch
- True Romance (if you really must have a Tarrantino film)
- Clerks

Ok so Pulp Fiction was probably not the best choice of Tarantino, and not a full-on cult classic in the traditional sense.

Part of the problem with cult classics is that many people have not seen some of the more obscure ones. I was just referencing the more popular considered ones as there was more chance of people actually having seen them.

I actually do like Star Wars films. I just don't think the recent ones have been that good.

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:38 am

Bad Taste
Man eats Dog
Hard Boiled
Meet the Feebles
The Room
Plan 9 from Out of Space.

Those kind of film I would count as cult. A film that was no embraced on its initial launch, but was discovered later my niche filmafiles.

Rogue One was the highest grossing film in the US of 2016, crossed the $1 billion mark worldwide. I feel that that's the opposite of a cult film. Do you agree?

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:48 am

Depends how you interpret a ‘cult film’ or ‘cult classic’. There is no rule saying a cult film can’t have a huge following from the beginning. Although I don’t really see how R1 was origional or changed the way movies are made or perceived. I do think in 30 years time another generation will look at R1 and say that is still a really good film.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

Crumm
Regular
Regular

Postby Crumm » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:59 am

theforceuk wrote:Depends how you interpret a ‘cult film’ or ‘cult classic’. There is no rule saying a cult film can’t have a huge following from the beginning. Although I don’t really see how R1 was origional or changed the way movies are made or perceived. I do think in 30 years time another generation will look at R1 and say that is still a really good film.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

I agree, much of it is down to our own interpretation.

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Jaws is a good example, I consider that to be a cult film not sure everyone would. It’s interesting when you start thinking about it, my perception of a cult film is probably completely wrong. :D

Crumm
Regular
Regular

Postby Crumm » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:33 pm

theforceuk wrote:Jaws is a good example, I consider that to be a cult film not sure everyone would. It’s interesting when you start thinking about it, my perception of a cult film is probably completely wrong. :D

I don't know, I think as you say, everyone has different ideas about what qualifies.

Wikipedia also lists:

Babe: Pig in the city
Cloverfield
Godzilla (2014)
Gremlins
Shawshank redemption

Which I really wouldn't look at and say "That's a cult film that is". But there they are.

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:01 pm

I know this is Wikipedia- but they state

"A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film with a cult following, obscure or unpopular with mainstream audiences, and often revolutionary or ironically enjoyed."

So a lot of films, particularly Gremlins which is often put on TV at Christmas or Jaws, a film that invented the modern blockbuster.
wouldn't fall into that category.

I watched the making of Jaws last night.....(keep writing Jawas here).

I love that film, probably the best cinema experience I ever had.

Ruby2511
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Ruby2511 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:05 pm

Alien ?

Surely that should be a consideration ?

Classic film and subsequent films I feel 8)

Russ :D
Russ :D

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:45 pm

What about Forest Grump, having the discussion with the wife. It’s started an argument! :lol:

Think we should edit Wikipedia.

Return to “Star Wars Films”