i believe that R1 will be a future cult classic

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Yip I agree. It's solid as a SW film, great baddies, good story. The creatures, droids and ships are brilliant. The overal production design is very cool. Very cool film. I love TFA and TLJ but both have small niggles for me. RO is good from start to finish. Is Gareth Edwards due to direct any more SW? I hope so.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
I agree.

Out of the 3 films, RO has to be by far the best made, I agree guys, very good cinematography and plot, overall a bloody good film 8)

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Love Rogue One.
Best of the new films by a long way.
Apart from a few niggles, it's very Star Warsy and has more emotional impact than TFA and TLJ put together.
I think it's reputation will grow over the years.

Would love to see Gareth Edwards original cut, before Tony Gilroy was brought onboard.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I agree, I would love to see a Vader film made the same way. Out of all the new ones Rogue 1 is the one I go back to the most. 8)

Frunkstar

Grand Master
R1 was epic & overshadows both the main story line films by a Swiss country mile IMO, it was a real SW film & felt right from start to end & had me captivated & really feeling for the characters, we need more of this & less of the tosh they have been pushing in the main story which I have to say has come close to making me loose my love for it, TLJ was the first SW film I have watched & was thinking god this has been on a long time, surely it must end soon :cry: some of it was shockingly poor AOTC & ROTS were better IMO

subzero

Sith Lord
Agree with all comments here, plus is it just me or does the CGI with all the ships in RO seem more realistic than TLJ??

Watching TLJ looking at ships i'm like hmm that looks nice, but when I watch RO i'm like wow ****ing hell that looks great, there are moments when ships look so good it looks like they've used actual models for the Star Destroyers etc, I just don't get that same wow factor with TLJ.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Agree with all comments here, plus is it just me or does the CGI with all the ships in RO seem more realistic than TLJ??

Watching TLJ looking at ships i'm like hmm that looks nice, but when I watch RO i'm like wow ****ing hell that looks great, there are moments when ships look so good it looks like they've used actual models for the Star Destroyers etc, I just don't get that same wow factor with TLJ.

Yes subzero, everything seems more realistic in RO than TLJ.

A lot of thought had gone into writing a brilliant script and like mentioned before, the cinematography was amazing, all in all they released a damn good film that like ANH, ESB and ROTJ can be watched time and time again without being boring.

Russ :D

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I'll be interested to see how CG Tarkin fares in years to come. Perhaps in a few years time we'll have 100% convincing CG humans and what's in R1 could prove to be very bizarre. Its uncanny-valley has proven a deal breaker for me, sadly. I'm taken right out of the film by him and odd Leia. I'm quite surprised it gets given a pass by almost everyone. I'm also quite jealous of them.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Totally agree with the CG Tarkin but it's something they could fix with future releases in a similar way to the episode I Yoda. I just hope they can do the same for Vader's swagger :oops:

R1 is my favourite by miles of any of the films since return of the Jedi. Let's hope they can strike gold twice with the second spin off in a couple of weeks time.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
TheJabbaWookie said:
Yes, yes, yes... say what you will about Dave Prowse's accent, but he didn't half know how to carry himself with menace in the OT. You just didn't get the same presence with DV in RO.

Can't argue with that.
Unfortunately, that walk had more mince than John Inman's homemade Cottage Pie....
And I'll have nothing said about the Bristolian accent. Alright my babber! :D

I thought Tarkin was the dogs wotsits. I defy anybody who didn't know Peter Cushing was dead, to spot that as CGI.
On the other hand, the Leia CGI from the nose down was a bit suspect. Still a pretty good effort though.

Davaider

Padawan
Twin30mm said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Yes, yes, yes... say what you will about Dave Prowse's accent, but he didn't half know how to carry himself with menace in the OT. You just didn't get the same presence with DV in RO.

Can't argue with that.
Unfortunately, that walk had more mince than John Inman's homemade Cottage Pie....
And I'll have nothing said about the Bristolian accent. Alright my babber! :D

I thought Tarkin was the dogs wotsits. I defy anybody who didn't know Peter Cushing was dead, to spot that as CGI.
On the other hand, the Leia CGI from the nose down was a bit suspect. Still a pretty good effort though.

Great point on Tarkin CGI T30mm, No way would any one know that was CGI If they didn't know PC was gone. And Yes R1 is Awesome !

Crumm

Padawan
Nah.

It was mediocre at best. It certainly would not deserve the status of cult classic.

When you look at other cult classics:

Blade Runner
Pulp Fiction & Reservoir Dogs
Donnie Darko
Fight Club
A Clockwork Orange
Vertigo

I really don't think R1 deserves that status. It will certainly have a cult following (as Star Wars always has had) but I don't think it deserves to be hailed as a classic, cult or otherwise.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
How the hell do you class Pulp Fiction as a cult classic?!?! Literally one of the most publicly liked and hyped films in the past 25 years. I can't name a person that hasn't seen it.. Fight club comes close to this too... then in your closing comment to suggest Star Wars fits into the cult section just underlines your lack of understanding of the terminology... Its a frickin' family film that for decades has been shown on national TV every bloody Christmas!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

The others OK; I personally don't get Blade Runner, never have, but I do understand that many do and therefore don't go onto Bladerunner forums just to waste my time being negative about it, but to suggest that R1 can't be one is as ridiculous as your list; everyone gets the message that you don't like Star Wars films, so why bother commenting...

Next time you want to reference cult classic films try a little harder:

- Eraserhead
- Naked Lunch
- True Romance (if you really must have a Tarrantino film)
- Clerks

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
True Romance, now that is a Cult Classic. 'What is this Mother ****ing wide boy day?'

Crumm

Padawan
SAVORY100 said:
How the hell do you class Pulp Fiction as a cult classic?!?! Literally one of the most publicly liked and hyped films in the past 25 years. I can't name a person that hasn't seen it.. Fight club comes close to this too... then in your closing comment to suggest Star Wars fits into the cult section just underlines your lack of understanding of the terminology... Its a frickin' family film that for decades has been shown on national TV every bloody Christmas!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

The others OK; I personally don't get Blade Runner, never have, but I do understand that many do and therefore don't go onto Bladerunner forums just to waste my time being negative about it, but to suggest that R1 can't be one is as ridiculous as your list; everyone gets the message that you don't like Star Wars films, so why bother commenting...

Next time you want to reference cult classic films try a little harder:

- Eraserhead
- Naked Lunch
- True Romance (if you really must have a Tarrantino film)
- Clerks

Ok so Pulp Fiction was probably not the best choice of Tarantino, and not a full-on cult classic in the traditional sense.

Part of the problem with cult classics is that many people have not seen some of the more obscure ones. I was just referencing the more popular considered ones as there was more chance of people actually having seen them.

I actually do like Star Wars films. I just don't think the recent ones have been that good.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Bad Taste
Man eats Dog
Hard Boiled
Meet the Feebles
The Room
Plan 9 from Out of Space.

Those kind of film I would count as cult. A film that was no embraced on its initial launch, but was discovered later my niche filmafiles.

Rogue One was the highest grossing film in the US of 2016, crossed the $1 billion mark worldwide. I feel that that's the opposite of a cult film. Do you agree?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom