Header image

Kenobi Movie

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2660
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Kenobi Movie

Postby subzero » Fri May 18, 2018 7:59 am

Snaketibe wrote:
subzero wrote:Gotta be honest I don't really see where they can start with a good story on this, from ROTS to SW he exiled himself on Tatooine for decades, stuck there just rotting in a little hut and unknown by everybody on the planet. Surely we won't be seeing any lightsaber action either because nobody else with a saber knows he's even there, and any kind of adventures Kenobi might have got involved in with other people could have possibly alerted who and where he was to the empire.

The only scenarios I can think of is something to do with him watching over and protecting Luke, but I can't imagine him interacting with him much because we get the impression from A New Hope that they've never spoken before. And maybe a scenario of avoiding the empire on Tatooine in some way, unless he secretly travels to other planets to do some secret shit I can't see what else they'd come up with. :?:

Where there's a billion dollars to be made at the box office, I'm sure Disney will find a way! ;-)

And besides, Rian Johnson has already shown that Disney are quite happy for established canon to be thrown away with gay abandon, so I guess they could make old Ben do just about anything in his film, lightsaber action and all.

Having said that, I remain cautiously hopeful about 'Kenobi'. I like Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan, and after the fierce backlash (quite rightly, IMHO) leveled at Disney following the utter disgrace of TLJ, despite their official defence of their choices in that film, you can bet your life both Episode 9 and all future Star Wars films will look a damn sight more like the Original Trilogy than TLJ did! It's not even a question backpedaling by Disney over that defence; TLJ didn't make them as much money as it should have done, and they know it. Disney's number one priority with these films is making money, so they'll do whatever they can to ensure they don't piss off half the fan base with future offerings in order to maximise their profits... It's just a shame they had to destroy the episodic franchise in order to realise that rather obvious fact :-(


I also do think McGregor did a good job in the prequels, only problem with me now is if I ever seen him again as Kenobi all i'll see is 'prequel' :lol: I don't know if that would be a problem for me or not, but at the same time it makes sense to use McGregor instead of another actor because of the canon timeline and McGregor's actual age, and the fact that he 'can' do it I think he should. Good point really, if Disney can give us TLJ which was basically just a 'space chase' and literally nothing more then I suppose they can come up with any old story and make it look nice. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2660
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Kenobi Movie

Postby subzero » Fri May 18, 2018 8:04 am

Spookedhippie wrote:If they base it off the kenobi book they’ll do well...it works for the time period and maintains kenobis exile on tatooine...plays like a western


That actually crossed my mind if they would be using any kind of story from one of the books, i'm totally clueless when it comes to any of the books as iv'e never read a single one of them, so I don't know about any of the stories. It will be interesting anyway to see what they come up with, and if the book is as good as you say then that sounds promising.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

User avatar
Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2792
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 6:53 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: Kenobi Movie

Postby Cazza » Fri May 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Kenobi is a really good book 8)
Collecting SW since 1980.
Image
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

User avatar
Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Kenobi Movie

Postby Snaketibe » Mon May 28, 2018 10:45 am

weasel wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:I'm glad. Let's just hope they don't make a hash of it. I enjoyed TFA, but found it also very flawed, loved Rogue One (although it seems that film was saved in the reshoots and edit, by all accounts), but hated TLJ with an undying passion that means I will never again watch anything Rian Johnson has come within a thousand miles of. So for me, Kathleen Kennedy's Disney Star Wars film track record is rather patchy. I'm really looking forward to 'Solo' and am hopeful Ron Howard has pulled off a good film, but if that film sucks then Disney may have trouble getting me to watch 'Kenobi'.


LMK what you think of Solo if you go and see it. I'm refusing to go after TLJ but the missus says she's gonna go with her brother. So if you think it's good, and it sounds like we have a fairly similar outlook on the films, please LMK.

Oohh and I won't be reading any of the Solo threads so don't tell me it's good in there lol.

OK, as promised here are my spoiler-free 'Solo' thoughts. In short, I liked it a lot. It's not perfect and there were a couple of things I didn't really care for, but overall I thought it was great. It was respectful and consistent with established OT (and PT for that matter) canon, had a decent story, interesting and mostly plausible new characters, it looked great, had lots of action, humour that worked but wasn't overused... basically everything the shit sandwich of TLJ wasn't.

I haven't settled on a score out of ten for the new film yet. I will do that after happily going to see it another couple of times over the next few weeks, but as far as your own visit is concerned, I'd say go with confidence. It might not be TESB, but it's certainly no TPM either!

Lastly, it also restores some of my lost faith in Lucasfilm. After shitting the bed so comprehensively with TLJ, I am now more hopeful that Episode 9 and Kenobi will be a return to form.

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 17598
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: My Island

Re: Kenobi Movie

Postby weasel » Tue May 29, 2018 10:04 am

Snaketibe wrote:OK, as promised here are my spoiler-free 'Solo' thoughts. In short, I liked it a lot. It's not perfect and there were a couple of things I didn't really care for, but overall I thought it was great. It was respectful and consistent with established OT (and PT for that matter) canon, had a decent story, interesting and mostly plausible new characters, it looked great, had lots of action, humour that worked but wasn't overused... basically everything the shit sandwich of TLJ wasn't.

I haven't settled on a score out of ten for the new film yet. I will do that after happily going to see it another couple of times over the next few weeks, but as far as your own visit is concerned, I'd say go with confidence. It might not be TESB, but it's certainly no TPM either!

Lastly, it also restores some of my lost faith in Lucasfilm. After shitting the bed so comprehensively with TLJ, I am now more hopeful that Episode 9 and Kenobi will be a return to form.



Cheers! 8)

Sounds like most people on here have enjoyed it, or at least consider it a dam sight better than TLJ. All I'm seeing online is how it has bombed at the box office and the critics reviews I have seen have all been mediocre to pish (the star ratings that is I haven't read the full review). Decisions decisions.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

User avatar
SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3915
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 2:14 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Contact:

Re: Kenobi Movie

Postby SAVORY100 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:12 pm

Personally have no excitement about the idea of a Kenobi film, along with Fett it seems the most uninspiring of options. McGregor was (for me) one of the worst things about the prequels, that bloody stupid Alec Guinness impression still jars me, more than Jar Jar most of the time actually! As for how it fits in... 2.5 hours of watching him shuffle around a hovel on tattooine... maybe we can pick up some 'how to cook a Bantha steak' tips...
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

User avatar
Scarifpacific
Regular
Regular
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:46 pm
Location: Wiltshire, U.K

Re: Kenobi Movie

Postby Scarifpacific » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:36 am

I’d love to see a Kenobi I film, I’m just not at all keen to see McGregor reprise the role.

Like Steve, I thought he was terrible in the prequels - maybe not all his fault as he may have been directed to play the part that way.

Hopefully the role would be recast. But who to play him???
You may start your landing!

User avatar
SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3915
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 2:14 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Contact:

Re: Kenobi Movie

Postby SAVORY100 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:22 am

Scarifpacific wrote:I’d love to see a Kenobi I film, I’m just not at all keen to see McGregor reprise the role.

Like Steve, I thought he was terrible in the prequels - maybe not all his fault as he may have been directed to play the part that way.

Hopefully the role would be recast. But who to play him???


Very fair point, the actors are all directed, it is a group effort... including myself as the viewer, that delivered the experience in the end.
I should add that I wasn't keen on a Solo movie either and I loved that, so I'll no doubt love whatever they make next. I think for me though we have still seen enough Kenobi in Clone Wars and we all saw more than enough Fett in Empire.

I'd really like something new... Q'ira and Maul, Enfys Nest, even a Beckett story all jump much higher up my wish list than revisiting these already explored characters.
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

User avatar
TK-7785
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Re: Kenobi Movie

Postby TK-7785 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:38 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of McGregor, but I'd be interested to to see what he can do with another shot at Kenobi. I think the cast of the Prequels weren't given the best shot at being able to give their best performances. Mainly due to having to act with little to no actual environment or other on-screen characters. The CG heavy nature of the Prequels' production would have been hard on most seasoned actors I think.

Given how McGregor is already well established as Kenobi for chunk of the fanbase, mainly younger prequel era kids I would suggest, I think he's a safer bet than the recasting for Solo. Although I thought Alden did a pretty good job of delivering the essence of a cocky younger Han and I was one of the sceptical ones in the lead up to the film's release.

With a Fett movie Disney could potentially make a mistake in unravelling a lot of the mystique which makes Fett such a fan favourite. If handled properly an underworld, bounty hunter centric movie with a Fett cameo could be really good in my opinion.

The most important thing Disney has to do when meddling with beloved characters as old as the OT is respecting the source material. For characters like Solo, Kenobi, Luke etc their characters are very well established so any major deviation from lore needs to be very thoughtfully considered. I think there's also an element of just because you can, doesn't mean you should. One of the reason I liked Rogue One so much was because it centred around a bunch of new characters. I bloody loved the Vader cameos and I realise they were done purely to tickle the balls the the OT fans, but Vader and Tarkin acted very much in the vein of that which we're used to in the OT (not including Vader's sabre slashing...which was a particularly badass new addition). I'd love to see more Star Wars Stories like this; new characters and new worlds.

Chris
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies...
ROTJ Store Display Items

User avatar
SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3915
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 2:14 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Contact:

Re: Kenobi Movie

Postby SAVORY100 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:05 pm

TK-7785 wrote:I'm not the biggest fan of McGregor, but I'd be interested to to see what he can do with another shot at Kenobi. I think the cast of the Prequels weren't given the best shot at being able to give their best performances. Mainly due to having to act with little to no actual environment or other on-screen characters. The CG heavy nature of the Prequels' production would have been hard on most seasoned actors I think.

Given how McGregor is already well established as Kenobi for chunk of the fanbase, mainly younger prequel era kids I would suggest, I think he's a safer bet than the recasting for Solo. Although I thought Alden did a pretty good job of delivering the essence of a cocky younger Han and I was one of the sceptical ones in the lead up to the film's release.

With a Fett movie Disney could potentially make a mistake in unravelling a lot of the mystique which makes Fett such a fan favourite. If handled properly an underworld, bounty hunter centric movie with a Fett cameo could be really good in my opinion.

The most important thing Disney has to do when meddling with beloved characters as old as the OT is respecting the source material. For characters like Solo, Kenobi, Luke etc their characters are very well established so any major deviation from lore needs to be very thoughtfully considered. I think there's also an element of just because you can, doesn't mean you should. One of the reason I liked Rogue One so much was because it centred around a bunch of new characters. I bloody loved the Vader cameos and I realise they were done purely to tickle the balls the the OT fans, but Vader and Tarkin acted very much in the vein of that which we're used to in the OT (not including Vader's sabre slashing...which was a particularly badass new addition). I'd love to see more Star Wars Stories like this; new characters and new worlds.

Chris



Totally agree on most of this Chris, I really loved what Alden did with Han and sure, as much as I don't care for the Kenobi / McGregor revisit, it would fit age and fanbase wise, so why not... I've been very open that I really like what they've done with OT characters and how they have shifted the view... each to their own on this one I think.

Only thing I think we'd differ on is the Vader scene at the end of R1.. it's actually one of my least favourite Star Wars scene in any Star Wars film (AOTC aside)... just felt totally out of character and sensationalist... also didn't fit the rest of the film for me either. I actually usually fast forward through it! :shock:

New characters and new worlds works for me.
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

User avatar
poncho
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 4910
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Kenobi Movie

Postby poncho » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:18 pm

kenobi and all future stand alones are now on hold i believe

User avatar
theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 4824
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Kenobi Movie

Postby theforceuk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:05 pm

Yes apparently Disney are disappointed with how the spin offs have done at the box office. What do you expect when you slap out 4 Star Wars films in 2 and a half years!
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'


Return to “Star Wars Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests