Kenobi Movie

Richard_H

Grand Master
Seems like it's moving finally

https://www.fanthatracks.com/news/film-music-tv/exclusive-obi-wan-kenobi-movie-in-pre-production-filming-scheduled-for-spring-2019/

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm glad. Let's just hope they don't make a hash of it. I enjoyed TFA, but found it also very flawed, loved Rogue One (although it seems that film was saved in the reshoots and edit, by all accounts), but hated TLJ with an undying passion that means I will never again watch anything Rian Johnson has come within a thousand miles of. So for me, Kathleen Kennedy's Disney Star Wars film track record is rather patchy. I'm really looking forward to 'Solo' and am hopeful Ron Howard has pulled off a good film, but if that film sucks then Disney may have trouble getting me to watch 'Kenobi'.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Is it just me or does December 2020 sound scary, the years are flying by... They are knocking the films out at a rate of knots now. Hope it's good.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
It is a great time to be a Star Wars fan. I've tried explaining to my 6 year old son that it wasn't always like this. He's already been to see 3 Star Wars films at the cinema and he can't remember a Christmas without their being a new Star Wars film. 8)

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I'm keen for this, as crap as the prequels are, the period between should provide a really interesting backdrop - Rebels was great.

No signs of casting but if they make this without Ewan McGregor, the internet is literally going to explode.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
I'm glad. Let's just hope they don't make a hash of it. I enjoyed TFA, but found it also very flawed, loved Rogue One (although it seems that film was saved in the reshoots and edit, by all accounts), but hated TLJ with an undying passion that means I will never again watch anything Rian Johnson has come within a thousand miles of. So for me, Kathleen Kennedy's Disney Star Wars film track record is rather patchy. I'm really looking forward to 'Solo' and am hopeful Ron Howard has pulled off a good film, but if that film sucks then Disney may have trouble getting me to watch 'Kenobi'.

LMK what you think of Solo if you go and see it. I'm refusing to go after TLJ but the missus says she's gonna go with her brother. So if you think it's good, and it sounds like we have a fairly similar outlook on the films, please LMK.

Oohh and I won't be reading any of the Solo threads so don't tell me it's good in there lol.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
Snaketibe said:

LMK what you think of Solo if you go and see it. I'm refusing to go after TLJ but the missus says she's gonna go with her brother. So if you think it's good, and it sounds like we have a fairly similar outlook on the films, please LMK.

Oohh and I won't be reading any of the Solo threads so don't tell me it's good in there lol.
OK, no problem, will do. I'll definitely give 'Solo' a try and will post a spoiler-free reply to you here giving my thoughts :)

subzero

Sith Lord
Gotta be honest I don't really see where they can start with a good story on this, from ROTS to SW he exiled himself on Tatooine for decades, stuck there just rotting in a little hut and unknown by everybody on the planet. Surely we won't be seeing any lightsaber action either because nobody else with a saber knows he's even there, and any kind of adventures Kenobi might have got involved in with other people could have possibly alerted who and where he was to the empire.

The only scenarios I can think of is something to do with him watching over and protecting Luke, but I can't imagine him interacting with him much because we get the impression from A New Hope that they've never spoken before. And maybe a scenario of avoiding the empire on Tatooine in some way, unless he secretly travels to other planets to do some secret **** I can't see what else they'd come up with. :?:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
weasel said:
Snaketibe said:

OK, no problem, will do. I'll definitely give 'Solo' a try and will post a spoiler-free reply to you here giving my thoughts :)

Cool, cheers! 8)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
subzero said:
Gotta be honest I don't really see where they can start with a good story on this, from ROTS to SW he exiled himself on Tatooine for decades, stuck there just rotting in a little hut and unknown by everybody on the planet. Surely we won't be seeing any lightsaber action either because nobody else with a saber knows he's even there, and any kind of adventures Kenobi might have got involved in with other people could have possibly alerted who and where he was to the empire.

The only scenarios I can think of is something to do with him watching over and protecting Luke, but I can't imagine him interacting with him much because we get the impression from A New Hope that they've never spoken before. And maybe a scenario of avoiding the empire on Tatooine in some way, unless he secretly travels to other planets to do some secret **** I can't see what else they'd come up with. :?:
Where there's a billion dollars to be made at the box office, I'm sure Disney will find a way! ;-)

And besides, Rian Johnson has already shown that Disney are quite happy for established canon to be thrown away with gay abandon, so I guess they could make old Ben do just about anything in his film, lightsaber action and all.

Having said that, I remain cautiously hopeful about 'Kenobi'. I like Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan, and after the fierce backlash (quite rightly, IMHO) leveled at Disney following the utter disgrace of TLJ, despite their official defence of their choices in that film, you can bet your life both Episode 9 and all future Star Wars films will look a damn sight more like the Original Trilogy than TLJ did! It's not even a question backpedaling by Disney over that defence; TLJ didn't make them as much money as it should have done, and they know it. Disney's number one priority with these films is making money, so they'll do whatever they can to ensure they don't piss off half the fan base with future offerings in order to maximise their profits... It's just a shame they had to destroy the episodic franchise in order to realise that rather obvious fact :-(

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
If they base it off the kenobi book they'll do well...it works for the time period and maintains kenobis exile on tatooine...plays like a western

subzero

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
subzero said:

Where there's a billion dollars to be made at the box office, I'm sure Disney will find a way! ;-)

And besides, Rian Johnson has already shown that Disney are quite happy for established canon to be thrown away with gay abandon, so I guess they could make old Ben do just about anything in his film, lightsaber action and all.

Having said that, I remain cautiously hopeful about 'Kenobi'. I like Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan, and after the fierce backlash (quite rightly, IMHO) leveled at Disney following the utter disgrace of TLJ, despite their official defence of their choices in that film, you can bet your life both Episode 9 and all future Star Wars films will look a damn sight more like the Original Trilogy than TLJ did! It's not even a question backpedaling by Disney over that defence; TLJ didn't make them as much money as it should have done, and they know it. Disney's number one priority with these films is making money, so they'll do whatever they can to ensure they don't piss off half the fan base with future offerings in order to maximise their profits... It's just a shame they had to destroy the episodic franchise in order to realise that rather obvious fact :-(

I also do think McGregor did a good job in the prequels, only problem with me now is if I ever seen him again as Kenobi all i'll see is 'prequel' :lol: I don't know if that would be a problem for me or not, but at the same time it makes sense to use McGregor instead of another actor because of the canon timeline and McGregor's actual age, and the fact that he 'can' do it I think he should. Good point really, if Disney can give us TLJ which was basically just a 'space chase' and literally nothing more then I suppose they can come up with any old story and make it look nice. :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
Spookedhippie said:
If they base it off the kenobi book they'll do well...it works for the time period and maintains kenobis exile on tatooine...plays like a western

That actually crossed my mind if they would be using any kind of story from one of the books, i'm totally clueless when it comes to any of the books as iv'e never read a single one of them, so I don't know about any of the stories. It will be interesting anyway to see what they come up with, and if the book is as good as you say then that sounds promising.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
Snaketibe said:

OK, as promised here are my spoiler-free 'Solo' thoughts. In short, I liked it a lot. It's not perfect and there were a couple of things I didn't really care for, but overall I thought it was great. It was respectful and consistent with established OT (and PT for that matter) canon, had a decent story, interesting and mostly plausible new characters, it looked great, had lots of action, humour that worked but wasn't overused... basically everything the **** sandwich of TLJ wasn't.

I haven't settled on a score out of ten for the new film yet. I will do that after happily going to see it another couple of times over the next few weeks, but as far as your own visit is concerned, I'd say go with confidence. It might not be TESB, but it's certainly no TPM either!

Lastly, it also restores some of my lost faith in Lucasfilm. After shitting the bed so comprehensively with TLJ, I am now more hopeful that Episode 9 and Kenobi will be a return to form.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
OK, as promised here are my spoiler-free 'Solo' thoughts. In short, I liked it a lot. It's not perfect and there were a couple of things I didn't really care for, but overall I thought it was great. It was respectful and consistent with established OT (and PT for that matter) canon, had a decent story, interesting and mostly plausible new characters, it looked great, had lots of action, humour that worked but wasn't overused... basically everything the **** sandwich of TLJ wasn't.

I haven't settled on a score out of ten for the new film yet. I will do that after happily going to see it another couple of times over the next few weeks, but as far as your own visit is concerned, I'd say go with confidence. It might not be TESB, but it's certainly no TPM either!

Lastly, it also restores some of my lost faith in Lucasfilm. After shitting the bed so comprehensively with TLJ, I am now more hopeful that Episode 9 and Kenobi will be a return to form.

Cheers! 8)

Sounds like most people on here have enjoyed it, or at least consider it a dam sight better than TLJ. All I'm seeing online is how it has bombed at the box office and the critics reviews I have seen have all been mediocre to pish (the star ratings that is I haven't read the full review). Decisions decisions.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom