And This Is Why I Hate Toxic "Fan" Boys and Their Bitching!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I think you'll find Disney have hardly helped themselves in this regard. They had no overall plan for the episodic sequels right from the start, which is nothing short of astonishing given that they paid $4 billion for it! Why they didn't put a Kevin Feige type person in charge to oversee their new films and keep them consistent both in terms of story and quality, as they wisely did with their Marvel films, I will never know. Instead, each new Star Wars film seems to have been rushed out with scant regard for the others, and with some pretty big cock-ups becoming public along the way, like the Colin Trevorrow and Phil Lord & Chris Miller fiascoes, and even with Rogue One (which I love!), it seems that Disney had to pull the film out of the fire with Tony Gilroy's reshoots saving the day.

None of these cock-ups can be blamed on 'Toxic Fan Boys', but rather are down to pure incompetence on the part of Lucasfilm / Disney, and that doesn't even begin to touch on the utter shitstorm of The last Jedi. Quite frankly, it really doesn't take a genius to know that creating such an obviously divisive and thoroughly atypical Star Wars episode as TLJ would be reviled by a huge part of the fan base, and whoever green lit it should be fired. That film is adored by some, but loathed by others (myself definitely included), and dividing the fan base is hardly the best way to ensure that either that film or the next Star Wars offering Disney put out would be roaring successes; TLJ made a lot of money, but it was a hell of a lot less than TFA, and Solo has sadly under-performed (and for what it's worth, I thought that was a good film that deserved to do better).

It's rather sad that Disney have put future stand-alone films on hold, but in the circumstances it's hardly surprising, as they will always look to the box office bottom line with regards to what their films make, regardless of fan opinion. It's simply unfair to blame the fans for this decision. Disney's chronic and inexplicable mismanagement of the property is the overwhelming reason for this.

megoman

Padawan
Disney brought this on themselves
All they had to do is model the standalone story movies on the marvel franchise for **** sake
By having them related by character and timeline. This way you could have had individual character movies and also cross over movies
Small cameos placed here and there to tease you for the next instalment.
Its amazing that they dont use all the wonderful characters they have in the Star wars universe.Its no good mentioning bossk when we all wanna see him !!

For a $4 billion price tag they should milk it and we will drink it up :D :D

indianawars

Sith Lord
I think it's a huge shame that they're now canning the solo movies like Obi-Wan and Boba Fett. These troll fans boycotting good films like Solo is now having an impact on folks who were enjoying them. Now, these morons will be congratulating themselves on it.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
I think you'll find Disney have hardly helped themselves in this regard. They had no overall plan for the episodic sequels right from the start, which is nothing short of astonishing given that they paid $4 billion for it! Why they didn't put a Kevin Feige type person in charge to oversee their new films and keep them consistent both in terms of story and quality, as they wisely did with their Marvel films, I will never know. Instead, each new Star Wars film seems to have been rushed out with scant regard for the others, and with some pretty big cock-ups becoming public along the way, like the Colin Trevorrow and Phil Lord & Chris Miller fiascoes, and even with Rogue One (which I love!), it seems that Disney had to pull the film out of the fire with Tony Gilroy's reshoots saving the day.

None of these cock-ups can be blamed on 'Toxic Fan Boys', but rather are down to pure incompetence on the part of Lucasfilm / Disney, and that doesn't even begin to touch on the utter shitstorm of The last Jedi. Quite frankly, it really doesn't take a genius to know that creating such an obviously divisive and thoroughly atypical Star Wars episode as TLJ would be reviled by a huge part of the fan base, and whoever green lit it should be fired. That film is adored by some, but loathed by others (myself definitely included), and dividing the fan base is hardly the best way to ensure that either that film or the next Star Wars offering Disney put out would be roaring successes; TLJ made a lot of money, but it was a hell of a lot less than TFA, and Solo has sadly under-performed (and for what it's worth, I thought that was a good film that deserved to do better).

It's rather sad that Disney have put future stand-alone films on hold, but in the circumstances it's hardly surprising, as they will always look to the box office bottom line with regards to what their films make, regardless of fan opinion. It's simply unfair to blame the fans for this decision. Disney's chronic and inexplicable mismanagement of the property is the overwhelming reason for this.

I partially agree. But also don't a little.

It was Disney that rushed the production of VII and wanted a May 2015 release. It does seem like there was no overall plan because the Arnt/Lucas script was changed to a script that sets up the trilogy. Judging by the art of- the Lucas/Arndt script was well into Preproduction. It appears that Lucasfilm/Abrams/Disney expected TLJ to be a massive success and if it had been, this thread would not exist. I find a lot of the conspiracy theories on the actions on Lucasfilm are based on little evidence because they are a closed book. Fans are joining the dots and they could be right, but they could also be well off. Speaking to people who worked on TLJ said that they loved working on the film. It was a great creative experience. They also said that working under the LEGO brothers was not good. I fear the fans see smoke and cry volcano some times.

The Kevin Feige comparison is the opposite of what id hope. We've had a single vision for nearly 40 years and the majority of the fan base hated the prequels. The idea of a story group was an antidote to that. The idea of bringing in new film makers was an amazing idea. After all it was a young indie film maker that changed cinema with the original Star Wars. Unfortunately it appears that this brave progressive concept doesn't work. The firing of these directors prove that a film as complex as a Star Wars film is to much of a task. Bringing in a veteran Like Howard proves the point. I wouldn't call this incompetent, I call it brave, even though it hasn't worked out. I don't think a monolithic figure surrounded by 'yes men'is a good strategy. Marvel have successfully made the same film 19 times now and people seem to love it. Origin story->kidnapped girlfriend-> villain wants to destroy world. And I like some of them (Infinity War was amazing), but I'm hoping for new fresh stories in a vast galaxy that takes risks..............but doesn't divide the fan base........

The Last Jedi is the issue. I love the fact it took risks and turned the narrative upside down. Unfortunately this hasn't worked. I so wish it did, but the film has completely ruined fandom. I feel Its also dragged TFA down with it as any forgiveness for plagiarising the original but setting up the further episodes was thrown out by that film. The forced political correctness has also got peoples backs up. Which is unfortunate as I feel its the job of myth to reflect politics. Its got 'Wars' in the title with 'Imperial' soldiers etc. I just think that this was done better in the OT as it was implied and for the most part, I discovered more of what political implications it contained as I grew older. A great strength of the writing in the OT.

I'd like to say that if the fans see gender before character, then the fan is the problem. Especially with Rey. But Rose and other characters that have followed to reek of social engineering. The problem with the critique is that racists and sexist also agree with that critique and it taints a legitimate concern. The OT is full of commentary on Empire, relationships with technology, authoritarianism, history, politics etc, but saving animals and weapons trading was done so heavily handed, it was like getting plugged into hippy rally. And then there's Luke.

****. Why couldn't he have a Mr Miagi with doubts character arc. We have been waiting all this time for him. I thought Hamill was amazing, but ****. Han is dead, Luke is dead, Leia is dead. Kennedy said on a roundtable that she was going to protect the characters and I believe she thought by turning one of them into a star and the other as a rally call across the galaxy that their legacy would be. Unfortunately this has been met as a blatant swipe at the fans of the OT by having their characters disrespected. Perhaps your right, perhaps these missteps means that change Is needed. ****, I though a Master Luke and Padawan Rey would have been the greatest thing ever.

While I think about it, there is a line in film that upsets people, but I find that response a little short sighted. 'Kill the past if you have to'- which is defiantly what the film seems to be doing. But both Luke and Rey reject killing the past supporting the fact that Jedi will continue. Seems like that bit is overlooked. I'll put a :? face here.

There's tons to go through. I feel stuck in the middle There are valid points on both sides. People complain that the surprise villain in Solo wasn't decided until the end. Fans jump on this as proof that there is no plan. But to me its not crucial to the film in any way. Why not put the film together first and get a feel for what the surprise could be? It makes no impact on the narrative really. I see that as being clever rather than settling for what was decided on Sunday, no matter what happened on Monday.

In regards to Solo. Not making an Christmas film was a massive mistake. There are some threads on here that suggest that SW will lose its event status. I think that could be right. Even though I want a new one every day.......there was something special about digesting a new film over long periods.

The fans though. I think the critiques are valid. I especially like creative critiques like The Phantom Edit and some of the TLJ fan edits. But what a bunch of whinny manbabies. At worse you have sexist and racist bottom feeders. The basket of deplorables as Emperor Clinton put it. On the other hand I see manbabies. YouTube videos dedicated dissecting every interaction and promotion about a movie. This social media fire mob on Twitter, Youtube etc is embarrassing. You've umpteen manbabies dedicating their lives to their depression over TLJ while their countries are going down the shitter. If they put as much effort directing their emotions at their political representatives we would have a much better world to live. I say this with a certain amount of embarrassment as I've got caught up in cheesy debates about opening vintage toys, so I can understand how its easy to get caught up in it all, but **** me. Just reeks of first world problems. 40 years old a blubbering over Luke Skywalker. The West is ****ed up. Chinas going to build an island with a military runway on it off the Isle of Skye and no ones going to notice because they made Hux look silly.

This is not directed at the folks on here- im talking the broken emotional manbabies on social media. I think its embarrassing an d toxic. It reflects on all of us badly. Yes, Lucasfilm could have defused this with PR (which appears to be non-existent), but I wish they would go sit in a hospital and watch Doctors do non-paid overtime for a few hours and then come back and tell me about their childhood being ruined because bombs shouldn't drop in space.

The Last Jedi is the issue. I have no idea why people didn't give Solo a go. One of the lessons of Star Wars was to keep an open mind. Yes making a closed minded judgment on little green men may bite you on the ass when you find out he's a Jedi Master. Its ****ing Star Wars- go see it.

I think Lucasfilm have made some really exciting and brave choices out of the gate. Unfortunately, it appears it hasn't worked for half of the fan base. I would hope they would learn from their mistakes and try again. I don't think they set out to 'rape any ones childhood'. If I don't like it, well theres another one to go in the Attack of the Clone pile. But the way the 'fans' are launching personal attacks on the creators of the content is an embarrassment far worse than anything I have experienced as being a fan. **** the manbabies. Get them down the mines to dig some coal.

Hope this thread continues.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Do we think the short time span between TLJ and Solo has had an effect on the so called "disappointing" box office results ( given that short time span had virtually no mainstream PR).
Fans want more SW, but if it's rushed then there will always be holes and the propensity for Fan backlash.

As pointed out so far, attending a SW movie should be done with an open mind, after all we all have our fav moments in films and fav storylines, fav characters etc. You will never please all of the people all of the time.

I am an old git now, and life puts a lot of changes in front of you ( some for the better, some for the worse) but that's the way of life, change, progression and the effect it has on you personally will always impact, but accept change is inevitable, look for the positives you can draw out of it personally for you.
We are a nation of complainers and out of that comes a lot of positive, but that same disposition applied to everything including ( why have they changed the packaging on my fav chocolate bar and made it smaller - we all know why, carry on buying it or stop buying it and eat a different bar and enjoy your memories :lol: )

Very disappointed on the prospect of shelving spin offs such as Kenobi and Fett, but it is what it is.

I will still go and watch the new movies as they come out and enjoy the experience for what it is and not what I think it should be, because you can be damn sure the person next to you in the cinema will like/ dislike different aspects of the movie to you.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Sad to hear this news if it is true as I have MASSIVELY enjoyed both Star Wars stories and will be gutted if they do cancel future spin off entries. Let's wait to hear more official news though, rather than rumour.

Snaketibe said:
Why they didn't put a Kevin Feige type person in charge to oversee their new films and keep them consistent both in terms of story and quality, as they wisely did with their Marvel films, I will never know.

I think this is a misrepresentation. Iron Man was great... Iron Man 2 and 3 were far from it. Thor Ragnarok was a fun film, the other two Thors were woeful. There is no consistency of quality at Marvel. This applies to all franchises... we can all think of movies which are brilliant but others that are not. Bond movies? Yes. Alien series? Oh, yes.

So for those that didn't like The Last Jedi, rather than boycott, berate, bash and do the 'manbaby' thing that Grant so brilliantly describes, you should have just waited for the next Star Wars movie to come along. You might have liked it better. Now you - and I - may not have that chance. :(

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
It is a shame as most criticism seems to be focused on the Episodic films and Rhian Johnson with mostly good will and praise to Solo and Rogue One.

So Disney have got rid of the ones people are likely to enjoy and doubled down on the Johnson trilogy......mind boggling.

I think they cant just sweep 'Stand Alone' under one umbrella. Most people weren't interested in a Solo film, but most fans I speak to want a Kenobi. I would love to see a Ewan McGregor Kenobi film under the stewardship of a proper director.

I think Batman Begins is a good comparison for Solo. It did mediocre box office for a Batman film after the Batman and Robin disaster in 1997. But word of mouth and home viewings were obviously popular as the sequel (Dark Knight) is one of the most beloved and successful films of all time. I would have loved a Crimson Dawn sequel.

But then, I feel that Boba Fett film falls into the same category as Solo. People just don't seem interested.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
I think this is a misrepresentation. Iron Man was great... Iron Man 2 and 3 were far from it. Thor Ragnarok was a fun film, the other two Thors were woeful. There is no consistency of quality at Marvel. This applies to all franchises... we can all think of movies which are brilliant but others that are not. Bond movies? Yes. Alien series? Oh, yes.

The Kevin Feige comparison is absolutely valid. He's not there to make sure ever film is good, if you make 19 films you aren't going to get 19 classics no matter what you do, but he 100% makes sure that the overall narrative stacks up in a consistent manner.

Yes, Marvel let good young filmmakers make the films but he makes sure that they don't run roughshod over what's gone before which is a direct contradiction to what KK has let Johnson do to Abrams, and what undoubtedly Abrams will "correct" in Ep9. The role is crucial if you're going down a Universe type route and so far Feige is the only one who's had the right framework to achieve it.

I feel a little bit sorry for Solo, it came at a bad time post-TLJ carnage, and timed to avoid Poppins at Xmas in the middle of an already busy summer, but I don't think you can get away from the fact that the telling of Hans story just isn't a very exciting concept. Is it unmissable viewing to see how he met Chewie, the life debt, how the Falcon got its strange dialect, how he got even with Lando? To me, not at all, and it seems to many others it wasn't mandatory viewing either. We've all had 40 years of imaginings how these things payed out in our own minds, do I really need a film to tell me the real story? I felt the same about Kenobi and Fett so I'm not really bothered they're being shelved, I'd far prefer something far more original and interesting, but I'm not sure the people in charge at the moment are in any way capable of delivering that.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Interesting thread.

On the one hand I'm disappointed at the cancelling on the other I'm not.
I'm disappointed because even though I may not watch them, I would like to have the option to see more SW films if I choose. But I'm not disappointed cos, firstly it's not a definite "never ever ever will they be made". If Disney change their minds, and they probably will in time, we will get to see the films eventually. Secondly,I do have to agree with the points above, given the clear lack of overarching story ehh arch and the fact the TLJ was so devisive it's probably for the best that Disney put it on hold, take a step back and work out what they want to do with SW, or at least get a system that works better (for them and the fans).

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
indianawars said:
These troll fans boycotting good films like Solo is now having an impact on folks who were enjoying them. Now, these morons will be congratulating themselves on it.

Going by the internet/youtube a lot of people boycotted the film to send a signal to Disney but think you're missing the point - the vast majority of people that chose not to go and see Solo weren't boycotting they just chose not to go and see it because the no longer enjoy what Disney are producing. You think people boycotting is the reason ticket sales are down? I do not know a single SW fan that was desperate to see Solo but boycotted it to send a signal. I do on the other hand know several that just didn't want to see it myself included - we went to see Deadpool instead, that wasn't a protest it was a choice. I didn't like TFA,RO or TLJ so why would I pay to see another SW film.

Disney is a bussiness and SW is a product - Disney have been getting it wrong. Yes I know you like it but others don't and Disney want to make money. Poor films, social media **** storm covering all the problem areas from high profile sackings of Directors to poor toy sales was always going to have Disney putting the breaks on and having a wee re-think. They have share holders they are accountable to.

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
These manbaby pricks have been whinging about anything not unaltered original trilogy since Episode 1 came out and they're still here pissing their pants over a kids film.

Just **** off and let the fans enjoy Star Wars you big bag of cocks.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Dr_Ball_MD said:
These manbaby pricks have been whinging about anything not unaltered original trilogy since Episode 1 came out and they're still here pissing their pants over a kids film.

Oooo.....controversial.
Have you considered a career in the diplomatic service? :lol:

Whatever your views on the Disney tenure, even the most ardent supporters surely can't disagree that Lucasfilms management of the franchise leaves a lot to be desired. Somehow, they seem to be on the verge of destroying a bomb-proof IP. Surely heads need to roll.

Whether its the disclosure that there was no plan in place for the whole trilogy, the constant farce of sacked directors or the blatant disregard/demonizing of fans with genuine concerns for the franchise. I genuinely think they've lost their collective minds.

Of course they'll always be the nobheads out there, who go WAY over the top. But, to lump in the fans with legitimate concerns is just lazy and condescending.

Now the news that they're cancelling the generally praised standalones and forging ahead with Johnson's trilogy. Really!
Can a company be so out of touch with it's fanbase?
I've got a horrible feeling that they're going to get bitten on their arse again with Episode IX.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Twin30mm said:
Dr_Ball_MD said:

Can a company be so out of touch with it's fanbase?

I think you mean, with a small but very vocal element of its fan base. 'The Fan base' is broadly happy with the output, the box office shows that.
If anything is clear about Solo's box office takings (I note that despite the context of prior SW releases, it is still in line with other 'blockbusters' in recent years from other franchises) its that Disney has made an error in release date and the marketing package for the film, linking the reaction to TLJ is laughable, the world really isn't that simplistic I'm afraid.

Despite reading a very repetitive volume of rhetoric against Disney an TLJ, I have in person met far more people that are very happy with the last 3-4 years of releases, the 'casual fan' will generate far more income at the box office than a 'hard core fan' by sheer volume alone and that is where they will pay attention as a business.

The 'fan base' is a very daft term really, what is a fan? someone that frequents FB and forums to comment? No, it's the same as it is in football, most 'fans' don't go to every football game their team plays, many more don't even watch every game on TV, even more than that only watch MOTD 3-4 times a year but will cheer or enter into banter conversations at work when their team wins that weekend... the casual fan is what makes up any fan base, its what influences.

It is most important to note here though that NONE of these proposed cancellations have been confirmed on ANY official channels at this stage. Nothing on Star Wars .com, nothing on Disney and nothing on any mainstream news channels, all blogs, forums, podcasts and internet chatter. once again we may all be discussing something (like the SW universe as a whole) that is made up nonsense.. move along, move along...

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
SAVORY100 said:
I think you mean, with a small but very vocal element of its fan base. 'The Fan base' is broadly happy with the output, the box office shows that.
If anything is clear about Solo's box office takings (I note that despite the context of prior SW releases, it is still in line with other 'blockbusters' in recent years from other franchises) its that Disney has made an error in release date and the marketing package for the film, linking the reaction to TLJ is laughable, the world really isn't that simplistic I'm afraid.

Yeah, you're probably right regarding the fanbase. Time will tell.
I think the acid test will be the reaction to Episode IX. The divisiveness of TLJ may have diluted by then.
If not, who knows.....

SAVORY100 said:
Despite reading a very repetitive volume of rhetoric against Disney an TLJ, I have in person met far more people that are very happy with the last 3-4 years of releases, the 'casual fan' will generate far more income at the box office than a 'hard core fan' by sheer volume alone and that is where they will pay attention as a business.

TBH, I thought it was the other way round. Probably misremembering, but isn't there something called the "80/20" rule.
Where a brand earns approximately 80 percent of its profits from the top 20 percent of its customer base (the 'hardcore').

There's a great video regarding the 'long-tail' of Star Wars fandom....

[youtube]G39eYThzLKU[/youtube]

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
All of the drama surrounding these films is doing my head in. They are films for ****s sake. If you don't like them don't watch them. So much unessesary bitching and fighting. Suddenly everyone is a film critic and needs to lash out online, Disney want to make some money. Get over it. The internet has given a voice to the man on the street, to quote Sid Vicious: "I've met the man on the street and he is a ****."

I bet George Lucas is pleased he bailed. So many nasty people out there. Who needs the stress?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
SAVORY100 said:
'The Fan base' is broadly happy with the output, the box office shows that.

What the box office actually shows is that TLJ made $722 million less than TFA. And it would have been a hell of a lot less than that if people like me, (who went to see TLJ once, expecting to then make multiple repeat viewings, but didn't because they hated it) had known what it was like before handing over their ticket money. The toy sales are in the sewer. TLJ Blu-ray sales are unsurprisingly also piss-poor. These are NOT things that derive from the fan base being 'broadly happy with the output'. SOME of the fan base is happy, but some of it most certainly is not.

I understand that you personally like TLJ and have no problems with it. I have no problem with you (or anyone else) liking it. But you do seem to be wilfully blind to the fact that a huge section of the fan base does have a problem with TLJ. I am not some toxic fan boy and neither am I an alt-right, sexist, racist, misogynistic, whiny manbaby. I simply don't like TLJ, and for the same reasons that most others that don't like it (crap, boring, nonsensical, non-canonical story, which rides roughshod over not only the OT, but even TFA, which treats the character of Luke Skywalker with astonishing disrespect, and which simply fails to please a massive chunk of its target audience). Yes there is also a very vocal minority of assholes disliking the film for very different reasons, but that doesn't mean my own and other people's reasons for disliking it aren't valid. For example, I dislike the character of Rose Tico, not because she is a woman, not because Kelly Tran has Vietnamese heritage, but because the character is crap, thoroughly unconvincing, completely unnecessary and adds zero to the plot other than a hugely implausible and needless 'love interest' for Finn. If a few loud sexist, racist cunts dislike Rose and Kelly Tran because the character is female and or because Kelly is not white, that doesn't devalue my own criticisms, even though I abhor theirs.

The simple truth is that Disney have divided the fan base with their mismanagement of the franchise in general and with TLJ in particular, and they are beginning to pay the price for it. Solo deserved to do much better at the box office than it did, IMHO (I'm actually going to see it again this very evening, as it happens), but a lot of fans are understandably pissed off. If Disney serve them up a **** sandwich for breakfast, they shouldn't be surprised if people decline their invitation to dinner, and I don't doubt many fans stayed away from Solo after disliking TLJ. I personally did not take this view as I was prepared to give Solo a chance, but a lot of fans won't. I also don't doubt that there will be other reasons for Solo's poor performance as well (and it IS a poor performance, despite your claim that its takings are in line with other blockbusters, as it is heading for a loss!), including poor marketing, the fact it was released just five months after TLJ, and also competition from other films, but there is undoubtedly also going to be a reduction due to a 'once bitten, twice shy' syndrome from fans that hate TLJ.

And since you provide your own anecdotal evidence that you 'have in person met far more people that are very happy with the last 3-4 years of releases' (which I am quite happy to accept, btw), I will counter with my own anecdotal evidence that I have met exceptionally few people that do like TLJ. Most people I've met seem broadly happy with TFA and Rogue One and also Solo (those that have seen it), but very few have had a good word to say about TLJ. That doesn't mean there aren't others like you out there that do like the film, but please don't kid yourself or insult our intelligence by pretending there isn't a very large and seriously pissed off chunk of the fan base (and I include all Star Wars fans, great and small in that catch-all term) that don't share that view.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Twin30mm said:
SAVORY100 said:

Yeah, you're probably right regarding the fanbase. Time will tell.
I think the acid test will be the reaction to Episode IX. The divisiveness of TLJ may have diluted by then.
If not, who knows.....

SAVORY100 said:

TBH, I thought it was the other way round. Probably misremembering, but isn't there something called the "80/20" rule.
Where a brand earns approximately 80 percent of its profits from the top 20 percent of its customer base (the 'hardcore').

There's a great video regarding the 'long-tail' of Star Wars fandom....

[youtube]G39eYThzLKU[/youtube]

Interesting video, funnily enough I'd agree with 80% of it, the other 20% is utter nonsense.

80/20... you'll make 80% of your money from 20% of your products. Absolutely NOT 20% of your people though.

Anyway, maybe I mis l-expressed my thoughts as I'm saying the greater box office income will come from the larger portion of folk that are not what we call fans but might call them self fans and are what I termed a casual fan. These are clearly more led by marketing than a fandom dictating that they visit and see the latest release.
My friend Andy is very good example, he has a shelf in his office with the BluRay boxset and maybe three Lego buildable figures. He also has a cardboard cut out of a stormtrooper he was given in Asda.
He calls himself a Star Wars fan and will go to the new films when they come out either because I'm going or his daughter wants to see it. He has an interest in Star Wars, loves all the new stuff because he views it at face value. I'd note he's a very intelligent chap with a high powered job, so he's not a dummy that accepts what he's given.
My work colleague Kev is another, he has no Star Wars Toys, clothing or collection, has never read a sw novel etc. He did go and see TLJ and thought it was decent because his son wanted to go to it because (I'm guessing) it was well marketed to a 9 year old lad.
Andy and Kev (and their respective kids) are to my mind the bigger component of what delivers a box office result. A casual fan.
Andy came with me to watch Solo and only took his daughter because he wanted to see it again, she had no idea it was on. Kev hasn't seen Solo, Alex (his son) hasn't asked to see it, they saw Jurassic World though...
The noisy and grumpy chaps that have lost their mind with how angry a kids film franchises evolution has made them are such a tiny part of the box office results. So the noise they make is meaningless to the machine.
Now... the larger cross marketed income streams are totally different and are in turn marketed to a totally different market segmentations. These are where there will be concern at the likes of Disney, but it is unlikely to be felt for a few years as I would expect the licences for Funko or whatever other gubbins those folk buy won't renew for a few years, possibly even on a ten year contract. Hasbro will have seen some pinch I expect, but you could argue their own pricing, marketing and distribution is at fault more than the films themselves.
It's likely that by the time these are renewed, the Disney debate will have died down and something new will have come along to moan about.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom