POSITIVE ONLY - Movie/scene list

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Right...

I hope this goes down well and as someone who has had to openly apologise for his own behaviour, I'd like this to be a thread where we all can, without recourse or discussion, list our favourite scenes from any of the films released... just a list

No rankings, ratings or negativity about how one scene is great because it's better than another etc. No need to tell me or your fellow forum users why you don't or even if you don't like something, let's just stick to our favourites... what you like and why you like it.

Gotta be worth a try because I get the feeling that beneath all the discussion we can all list dozens of things that we love, just maybe different things in different films... or even editions of the films.

A long list of your own and your fellow forum users positives must be worth a read!

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
a few for me... and I'll get it started with an original trilogy one:

- The Battle of Hoth at the start of The Empire Strikes Back...
Simple as that, I love everything about it. The technical difficulty of filming it, the action, the ATAT walkers, man I get fidgety in my seat just thinking about it!

- Rey scavenging scene in The Force Awakens...
The scale of it, the camera work and for this scene the music just wins me over, its beautifully shot and gives that real 'scene setting' depth to the struggle and danger of Rey's plight as a scavenger on Jakku

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Star Wars:
01: Binary Sunset (Best piece of cinema ever)
02: "Let go Luke" (Fan4life)

Empire Strikes Back
01: "Begin Retreating! Fall Back! Fall Back!" (Overwhelming sense of Imperial Dominance. It looks real)
02: "Size Matters Not". Yoda. I cant believe the balls to make a puppet the jedi master. Film could have easily fallen apart if this and Mark Hamills performance wasn't so real.

Return of the Jedi
01: "If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will"- everything in this scene is amazing. The best of Star Wars.
02: "Father please HELP!"- (Best piece of Star Wars Cinema ever.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
For me the Luke & Vader lightsabre fight in ESB is just perfection, a great example of "less is more." There's far more suspense than there is action, but the well timed dialogue and occasional duelling makes for a compelling and believable fight. I have no doubt this scene is where the idea came from for the sword fighting section in the Monkey Island game.

This is one of my biggest gripes with modern films, over-cooked action scenes that look more like choreography from the latest Lady Gaga music video than a realistic battle.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
The battle scenes in both ESB and ROTJ have always been my favourites. Particularly the climatic battle on ROTJ that plays out on three fronts on Endor's moon, in the space above and between father and son. So as to not be too broad I love the scene when Han fools the Imperials out of the command bunker and give them the cocky "gotcha" look. Classic Ford/Solo.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I adore the Carbon Freezing Chamber scenes in Empire. The colours and lighting are simply breath-taking, the set simple, but perfect. Carrie never looked more beautiful to me than she did on Bespin, plus we get the drama (alright, if you're a kid watching it for the first time) of not knowing what's going to happen to Han, and the added bonus of Ford's brilliant line, 'I know'.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Snaketibe said:
I adore the Carbon Freezing Chamber scenes in Empire. The colours and lighting are simply breath-taking, the set simple, but perfect. Carrie never looked more beautiful to me than she did on Bespin, plus we get the drama (alright, if you're a kid watching it for the first time) of not knowing what's going to happen to Han, and the added bonus of Ford's brilliant line, 'I know'.

Agree 100%!

Crumm

Padawan
Star Wars:

Binary sunset: everything about this scene just works, it gives me a chill up the spine every time I see it. Anyone who has ever felt frustration and longed for something else can identify with Luke here.

Mos Eisley Cantina: this is just a fun scene, all the creatures around, Han is cool as anything, Obi-wan gives us the first "Lightsaber in proper use" scene and suddenly we know this old guy ain't to be messed with.

Death Star escape/ Tie fighter battle in the Falcon: The music suits this scene so well, I love it mostly for the music.

Battle of Yavin: All of it, probably the most technically accomplished space battle ever created. When you take into account it was done in the 70's it blows the mind. The level of pure talent that put this battle together is legendary.

Empire Strikes Back:

Yoda reveal: a great scene and a total surprise the first time you realise he is Yoda.

Carbon chamber: I like the colour pallette used in the carbon chamber, the orange is very interesting and gives it a dynamic with a colour that is not often used. Good emotional scene with Han and Leia and the "I love you" "I know" exchange.

Luke vs Vader part 1: What to say here? Mark Hamill was excellent, he really instilled a feeling of Luke knowing he simply can't win, but will carry on fighting anyway, great great fight. And it ends with one of the best reveals of all time (if not the best).

Return of the Jedi:

Vader's arrival: Everything just looks so well polished on the new Death Star. Great scene with Vader delivering his usual Menace.

Jabbas Palace: Jabba's is a great place, I would love to hang out there. I always wonder what other stuff has gone on there that we never saw?

Luke vs Vader part 2: every bit as good as the Empire fight, with a bit more emotional depth added, great ending with Luke and Vader realising that they have both been played by the Emperor.

Death Star II space battle: probably the best looking space battle I have ever seen on film, the sheer amount of starfighters in the battle is astonishing. Again, considering it would have been filmed in 1982/ 83 it holds up (and actually looks better) against stuff filmed today.

The death of Anakin Skywalker: I find this hard to watch but love it all the same, Luke gets his father back and loses him again all within 5 minutes. The feeling instilled between Luke and Anakin (testament to the actors) makes me well up a bit.

The Phantom Menace:

Duel of the Fates: the whole thing, the music, Jedi and sith fighting in their prime, Darth Maul. What's not to like here?

Attack of the Clones:

The Count Dooku fight: enjoyed that very much, particularly when Yoda shows up, great fun!

Kamino: interesting planet, I like the idea of an Ocean planet, very atmospheric

Revenge of the Sith:

Anakin vs Obi-wan: great music and they really go at each other.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great idea to have a thread of positive ideas. All the arguing puts me off the internet.

I really like the opening of Rogue One, Krennic and deathtroopers are really menacing and kick the story off nicely. So many good bits in Rogue One, Darth Vader lives in a castle!

I like the Enfys Nest show down in Solo, genuinely very funny.

Across all of the new films I think there has been some amazing production design. The creatures, the droids, sets, costumes are fantastic. Regardless of what you think of the stories, the films look brilliant.

The OT is faultless in my opinion. It's all class!

As for the prequels, I really enjoy the second half of ROTS. I love the creepy opera scene with Anakin and Palpatine.

It's all good man.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
The Phantom Menace

01: All scenes with Darth Maul
02: The Soundtrack
03: The Teaser Trailer

Attack of the Clones
01: Most of the Soundtrack........????

Revenge of the Sith
01: Order 66
02: Birth of the Twins/Vader Edit

The Force Awakens
01: 'Piece of Junk' reveal
02: Saber goes to Reys hand
03: Jedi Steps
04: Inside the AT-AT

Rogue One
01: Cassian murders informant
02: Leaving Yavin
03: 'Your not the only to lose everything'
04: Vader and the Fleet Troopers

The Last Jedi
01: Establishing shots of the Island
02: Snokes Death

Solo
01: Escaping the White Worm Gang
02: Nimban 'We'll have you flying in no time'
03: Train Hiest
04: Darth Maul

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
SW
Binary Sunset - Just encapsulates my love for the saga in one scene.
Mos Eisley/Cantina - The otherwordly atmosphere enthralled me as kid. Still does.

TESB
Yoda lifting the X-Wing - Yoda imperious, Williams score swells. Gets me every time.
AT-ATs looming over the retreating Rebels - A great image of the Imperial war machine sweeping all before it.

ROTJ
Throne Room duel - Great interplay and contains one of my favourite passages of SW music.
The Final Space Battle - Iconic scene that still stands up today effects-wise. Still think Lando should have died.

R1
Galen hologram/destruction of Jeddha - Love how this scene is intercut with the Death Star firing. Delivers an emotional punch.
Tarkin scenes - Great to see the Moff back. Probably in the minority and thought the Tarkin CGI was amazing. Leia not so much.

PREQUEL/SEQUEL TRILOGY
TPM Duel of the Fates - The lightsaber duel is still the benchmark of the saga. Maul was criminally underused.
AOTC end scene - Clone Troopers as far as the eye can see, against a backdrop of Republic Star Destroyers. Epic.
ROTS Opera House scene - Ian McDiarmid has never been better. Sidious' manipulation of Anakin is brilliantly handled here.
TFA Rey Scavenging - Great dialogue-free introduction to the new protagonist. Best theme of the TFA score.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great idea for a thread.

Ben handing Luke his fathers lightsabre, just an absolute standout moment for me

Attachments

• star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-3767.jpg
    star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-3767.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,058

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
This is a thread I can see me revisiting time and time again, every time I rewatch the movies... but I'll start with a couple of scenes that make ANH my favourite from the OT for me.

R2-D2's lonely trip through Beggar's Canyon on Tatooine. The first look at the haunting eyes of the jawas. The tentiveness all conveyed through a series of blips and beeps of a mechanical Droid. Utini!

Luke's first encounter with the sand people in the barren Jundland Wastes. The heart pounding moment you skip from looking through binoculars at the banthas to the terrifying aggressive face of a Tusken Raider for the first time. Ace!

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
For me I think this is influenced by a 7 year old me watching the death star trench scene in the original sw's film and when we finally got a pirated copy in 1979 pausing the scene over and over again on the old rented Ferguson video star, video and being totally blown away by the whole scene, that had it all dog fights in space :D

Empire I was obsessed as a child by the bounty hunters and would re watch the star destroyer scene over and over again to see all of them and the hoth scene for all the above reasons.

Jedi Always loved the jabba sail barge scene but hated Boba's death, could not believe he was killed off, so relieved years later when we learn in the comic that the sarlac found him indigestible :lol:

Not a fan of the prequels but I remember watching the opening scene of the P Menace and getting a warm feeling inside watching Ben and Qui gon doing battle thinking we are ok this is going to be good :) and then slowly loosing belief as Jar Jar showed up and it all went down hill :cry: still love that first scene thou

There had been a lot of bashing of the latest Disney offerings and for good reason on some issues, which we all know, but there are parts of these films I love, Rogue One nostalgia scenes at the end with leia, (I'm a sucker for these), also when Han re-enters the falcon for the first time (tfa), but seriously would Han just lose his ship like that :)
TLJ has some issues too, don't mention the milk drink, what's that all about, although I think Aunt Beru had the same beverage in her kitchen so Luke may have got a taste for it there :lol: still I did like the semi hoth battle at the end and although I think it was wrong to lose Luke I did like the way it was filmed, don't know what happed to his bionic hand thou that went to the force as well :)

Just some of my ramblings

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Positive only scene lists please, no need to go over old ground with reviews, opinions or analysis of what may not be liked.

lejackal

Grand Master
Just back from watching Solo (I know, somewhat late) and I have to say Chewy freeing Wookie slaves, Han being Han, Lando being Lando and
the Maul reveal
were all great!!!

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
ROTS:- The scene where Padme is looking out her apartment window across the Coruscant city-scape as Anakins fall to the dark side takes effect. The music that plays over the eerily silent scene is absolutely perfect :)

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
The Last Jedi

Poe being a pilot, blasting and that turn.
The end of the Dreadnought. When it goes silent and slow mo, cuts to Paige, The Imperial Officer, Poe.. boom. Love the track
Chewie booting down the door of Luke's hovel and then roaring at the miserable old git. Great emotion.. **** you Luke.. Han is dead - pain. Later the scene resonates even more when we know why Ben became Kylo
Chewie and the Porgs
Snoke berating Kylo. The first time we find that even though Snoke thinks he knows it all, he has no explanation for the force rising with and inside Rey (neither does she)
The perspectives of the Luke - Kylo moment and when Luke sees the direction Ben would take and the pain it would cause. An underrated moment of horror.
Luke and Rey in the force is life/balance.. humour, play, the force, darkness.
Rey in the dark place - I love a metaphorical moment.

These three scenes have entered my top Star Wars moments:
The throne room - The power we see in Snoke, Snokes arrogant death, the Kylo and Rey team up vs the Praetorian guards
Holdo suicide run - she had to try something, would she get past the shields, she didnt know, nobody had done it before. Utterly epic.
The Luke and Leia moment,

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Star Wars -
Binary Sunset. I'm especially fond of the first act. It's nice seeing their idea of hum-drum.

Empire Strikes Back -
Luke dangling from the weather vein mentally reaching out to Leia. The music. The sunset. The
Falcon flying through the clouds.

Return Of The Jedi-
Flying thru the innards of the second Death Star. In contrast to my above ambient moments, this is pure Star Warsy speed.

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
The Last Jedi - The wonderful moment where Luke is walking through the Falcon and is reunited with R2. I won't lie, there were a few tears. :oops:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom