This is very sad - Ahmed Best

_Lee_

Sith Lord
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/07/03/star-wars-actor-ahmed-best-says-considered-suicide-after-jar-jar-binks-backlash.html

Thank god he didn't go through with this.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
To right :shock:

How can people send death threats to somebody because of a character he played.....sicko's :x

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
I am in no way a fan of jar jar blinks but this guy did not in any way deserve that back lash or any abuse. He was just playing a character in a movie. One of his comments about everyone else went forward and got work was not entirely true Jake Lloyd and Haden Christians or what ever is name is had a similar experience.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Sadly the world has a lot of very stupid people in it who can't (or don't want to) distinguish between a character and the actor that plays them. I loath Jar Jar Binks as a character, but I have nothing but respect and sympathy for Ahmed Best. He played the character exactly as George Lucas wanted, and in that sense did an excellent job, but then received a load of grief and insults for his trouble! To hear that he contemplated suicide as a result is nothing short of outrageous and tragic. No-one should be made to feel like that for playing a character in a film, but morons and their keyboards rule, or at least often seem to 'shout' the loudest, and it takes an extremely thick-skinned person not to be affected by it :-(

Thankfully, Ahmed seems to have come through his horrible experience and now has the strength to talk about it. More power to him, I say.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Blimey :shock:. When will people realise these are actors playing a part not them been themselves. Poor guy

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
StarWarsFan said:
Blimey :shock:. When will people realise these are actors playing a part not them been themselves. Poor guy

Its the state of the world i'm afraid, i see it daily in my line of work and have had to section individuals who have mental health issues who i supported, just because they could not distinguish between fact and fiction and the obsessions with actors or music artists were getting dangerous. Its a very messed up world we live in and there are more people out there than we will ever know with undiagnosed mental health problems and also people who get there kicks out of making people feel uncomfortable.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
He's probably fortunate that it was 20years ago and way before social media made all our lives happier places. He was spared the treatment more recent acting disasters have had to endure. Most actors don't have the luxury of turning down gigs even if they don't like the scripts.

subzero

Sith Lord
Why are people so stupid?, isn't the whole point of an actor to you know.... act a part??, it's just a play, it's not ****ing real, the actor's job is to do exactly what the director tells them to do. If someone wants to be annoyed at somebody for a character being in a film then be mad at the director or person who created that character, but even then sending death threats to someone over a fictional character from a piece of children's fictional entertainment is quite retarded. Nobody's lives should be made difficult to live because of a part in a film, nor should their career be damaged because of it, it's a job and a bloody good one too, almost any actor in the world would have loved to have taken that opportunity to play a character in a new Star Wars film.

I think I also remember things like this happening to actors who played the parts as a murderer in programs such as Coronation Street many years back, where they'd actually be approached on a daily basis in the street by complete ****ing morons and spat on and have insults thrown at them, whilst just getting on with their separate private lives, just because they played the part of a baddie who they hated watching.

And we're talking about middle aged adults here, not 6 or 7 year olds, it's a very sad world we live in.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
It's really sad but not entirely surprising as SF seems to have more than its fair share of nut jobs. It's even easier now than it was 20 years ago with more people able to access the WWW and the anonymity it provides, the rise of social media and the proliferation of platforms making it easy to find like-minded people for just about anything you can imagine. You've only got to look at the abuse thrown at Kelly Marie Tran by a section of the SW fanbase to recognise there are a number of disturbed people out there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom