EPISODE IX - CAST NEWS

DARTH VADER

Jedi Knight
News of the cast has just been published via Disney and Lucasfilm. Includes the following names:

Carrie Fisher (unseen footage shot for EVII)
Mark Hamill
Billy Dee Williams
Anthony Daniels
Richard E. Grant
Naomi Ackie
Daisy Ridley
Adam Driver
John Boyega
Oscar Isaac
Lupita Nyong'o
Domhnall Gleeson
Kelly Marie Tran
Joonas Suotamo
Billie Lourd

John Williams will return to score the film, set to be released in December 2019.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Was just about to post about this 8) Copied this from star wars.com

RETURNING AND NEW CAST MEMBERS WILL JOIN TOGETHER FOR THE FINAL INSTALLMENT OF THE SKYWALKER SAGA.

Star Wars: Episode IX will begin filming at London's Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the final installment of the Skywalker saga. Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio.

Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong'o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie, Richard E. Grant, and Keri Russell, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. "We desperately loved Carrie Fisher," says Abrams. "Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie's legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII."

Composer John Williams, who has scored every chapter in the Star Wars saga since 1977's A New Hope, will return to a galaxy far, far away with Episode IX.

Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Michelle Rejwan, and executive produced by Callum Greene and Jason McGatlin. The crew includes Dan Mindel (Director of Photography), Rick Carter and Kevin Jenkins (Co-Production Designers), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Neal Scanlan (Creature and Droid FX), Maryann Brandon and Stefan Grube (Editors), Roger Guyett (VFX Supervisor), Tommy Gormley (1st AD), and Victoria Mahoney (2nd Unit Director).

Release is scheduled for December 2019.

subzero

Sith Lord
LANDO!! 8)

And iv'e actually been saying in the next one Luke will return as a force spirit, looks like I was right, unless they just use him for some kind of past flashback scene or something. But possibly seeing Luke and Yoda together as spirits would seem weird but kinda cool.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Great news, can't wait, good that they are using unseen footage for Leia and that they have Carries daughter on screen again, nice touches.
Dec 19 8) can't wait :D

subzero

Sith Lord
I can't wait to see how on earth they're gonna incorporate old footage from TFA into episode 9, and do they have enough use-able footage for it to give her enough of a presence?, and whatever dialogue she has in this footage i'm suspecting it's going to be kept very basic so they can stitch this into a scene and make it relevant..... :?

It's gonna be an interesting one.

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
I have a heart condition. If you hit me, I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

c2e826f8-29b2-4bb9-9f86-c7d660112ce6_screenshot.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Sorry, but I'm really struggling to get excited about Episode 9 after the bitter disappointment of Episode 8. I suppose I am pleased to finally see Billy Dee Williams returning, but quite frankly Disney really dropped the ball IMHO by not reuniting Lando, Luke, Leia and Han on screen in Episode 7. Now of course, unless they magic Han back from the dead and also find enough suitable footage of Carrie, that can't happen.

Mark Hamill's return should come as no surprise to anyone if they've watched the previous films, so the only question worth asking with regards to Luke is will he come back as a Force ghost (probably yes), or will they contrive a way to bring him back as a living person? Either way, I've decided I am going to wait for the fan reviews of Episode 9 from those who hated The Last Jedi before deciding whether to see this or not. If the consensus from them is that the new film is a good one, then I will go to see it. Otherwise, I'll spare myself another 2 hours of disappointment.

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
Must say, I'm not that excited at all. Oh, Rose is back and yes, Hux is back and some new actors, maybe Admiral Thrawn? Oh yes, speculations, as with any forthcoming SW movie. But the good news, and not only for Mark Hamill, the Skywalker trilogy is ending... at last, it took a very good time with a lot of waste on movie material. Old good buck maker Disney already made true fans of the first hour longing back to the days that SW was something special and what no one would ever believe: make the prequels become more worthier than the sequels. Meesa not meaning this, yeah? Well, I do. I try to be open minded, yes, I really do. Watched Solo and I must say, it is nice and neat, from a certain point of view... But let's stop digging the past and hope (read: Disney) that fans will be charmed by characters from the OT. That's kind of cheap, well let's be honest: it is cheap, very, very cheap. Some previous Leia scenes and a dodgy Lando will not save a movie at all. It is poverty to the bone and guys who say that we must be happy for every SW movie at all should consider that more is less. You can't compare the Lucas era and contemporary Disney without losing any quality. I've made my choice and will stick to the OT and sometimes watch a prequel. Won't sell my soul to the devil, sorry George...

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Really exciting news as far as I'm concerned.

Taking the characters and story forward from TLJ and adding in a smattering of new is what I was hoping for.. a little consistency building on the story so far. I would say I'm a little concerned about Billy D, but not enough to panic yet... he is rather old and having met many, many of the OT guys in the past few months and years, time is not on their side, so I hope he isn't hobbling around set and has maybe a more relaxed role as a cameo...

Richard E Grant was one of my favourite actors for a period of time (mainly as a student in the 1990s of course), so it will be interesting to see what they make of him... Thrawn? not a chance IMO, timeline is off and its just too obvious, a bit like all the predictions that Boba would appear in SOLO.... err he didn't #shock

As ever, no judgement until i've seen it at least once as anything else is just conjecture, but generally I can't decide until the third screening anyway as these ST all have so much in them it's hard to actually see it all first or even second time...

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Is this the next film to be released? No spin-offs in the mean time?

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:

Yes, I wish they'd held off with Solo. I reckon it would have been better received had they waited until Christmas.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I found ep7&8 more watchable than ep1,2,&3 for all the reasons mentioned in previous threads but I sometimes think to myself, if I was the director / writer for ep 7 at the beginning having access to most of the original actors, could I have formulated a story that would recapture the magic of A New Hope and Empire, its a difficult question, but with access to all the paperbacks / comics, dark empire material etc I think so.

But as usual with big budget films, they worry about recouping the production costs and I think that always limits the risks with story that they are willing to take.
When Lucas made Star Wars and Empire (with a big nod to Irvin Kershner) it was a risk and I think that showed in their popularity and quality not so much with all the other offerings since, not to say I don't enjoy some of them.

I have read the Star wars comics all my life and there was some good story idea's in the early Dark Horse / Marvel comics / novals shame a lot of it was unused apart from the occasional fan reference to try and keep the long time fans happy

Dantooine

Padawan
edd_jedi said:
A spin-off film is crewing up at the moment so I'm guessing we will get another one in two years.

CaptainAntilles

Padawan
Good to see the real Lando making a return . I shudder to think how they will bastardise him in this movie though . i hope they dont trash him as bad as they did to luke , Han and Leia .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom