Palitoy ESB carded values

Heith

Padawan
Just wondering what the current values of Palitoy ESB carded are? - are some rarer than others etc?, many thanks

spoons

Grand Master
Heith said:
Just wondering what the current values of Palitoy ESB carded are? - are some rarer than others etc?, many thanks

a range of probably £35-£2,000

All kinds of factors affect price, popularity of character is a big one - a Bounty Hunter offer black Bespin guard is probably the cheapest, and the non-logo 45 backs are some of the rarest Palitoys but rarely cost more than £100-£200

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Ones we haven't seen examples of yet:-

Dengar
Ugnaught

Followed by ones I'm still looking for cardbacks for:-

Leia Organa Bespin Gown (Gary found this MOC recently, no examples had been seen up until then)
Leia Organa Hoth
Lobot
Sandpeople

Followed by MOC's that Gary is still looking for:-

Leia
Jawa
Snaggletooth
Luke Bespin (I found a cardback of this on ebay recently)

:)

Jason

spoons

Grand Master
Gary's Leia Bespin is the only one he's ever seen and he's still chasing a Luke Bespin. Han Hoth is like hen's teeth too - he has one, I have one and that's it as far as public collectors go.

The most common one are TIE Fighter Pilot, Rebel Commander and Bossk and you still don't see many of them - they usually go for around £100

The Star Wars characters are very rare too, I've only seen Hammerhead and Luke X-Wing for sale in recent years - both sold for around £220

I've also only seen one White Bespin Guard for sale and again popularity plays a part as he went for £35 :) I'm sure there are loads more WBGs out there and I know Jason says that 45b is one of the more common card backs on his website, but it is all relative - they rarely come up for sale

*edit - Jason beat me to it :D

sith-smith

Grand Master
Well, as I have been mentioned several times I guess i should contribute.

I think in terms of rarity Jason's site is a good guide, though with certain limitations.

It does let us know what could exist as packaging at least has been found. So if you want to know what figures are really hard to find, then I'd say the ones that have no record are the hardest. Of course the problem here is that it is possible they don't exist at all, so until one turns up it is kind of hard to say they are rare. Rarity implies few (though I'm not going to get into a long discussion about that word again...see other thread) In other words they are known to exist but you will hardly ever see one.

What does/doesn't exist is limited to the information at hand, given by those willing/able to share it. A good thing about Jason's site it that it is a living documentation, in other words he constantly updates it as new information comes in.

The Leia Bespin which I recently received, though full credit for its discovery must go to Lee Gregory, is a good case in point. Until the other week, its existence was not known to the wider public and Jason's site was the first place I looked to double check. I was fairly sure I had never seen one, but the site confirmed that packaging had never been seen. So currently this is the only widely known one that exists, which actually makes it one of the rarest figures I now own. There aren't many figures in my collection for which I can say it is the only one I know of. But I doubt that status will last for ever. Others will always be discovered.

Does it make it mega expensive though? To be honest, not really. As Spoons said, these cardbacks don't really go for much, despite the rarity of some. I think the most I ever paid was around £450ish for a Yoda. But a mega popular character and I can't recall ever seeing another one come up for sale, so was a major bidding war on eBay.

For me the rare ones on Jason's site are the ones for which there is a cardback, but no known MOC. Sadly the site at the moment doesn't tell us that. And I think some of the evidence on there is anecdotal rather than actual. But is is defintely the best source of information and the place anyone should go to first! 8)

So in answer to the original questions;

Values are all over the place, though I'd say up to over the 3k mark on some. e.g. 30 back Fett?

Some are definitely rarer than others, though this doesn't always equate to value.

Ones with the logo tend to be the more popular, with the 30 backs still holding position as the most sort after.

There are several lists on this site regarding rarity orders, though they change frequently as new ones turn up.

If you could be more specific as to what you are wanting to achieve with Palitoy ESB's we could almost certainly give you more accurate info.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
I try and keep the matrix on there as accurate as possible. There are still a few ?'s on there which are from the original matrix on palitoy.org. I would tend to make those known examples as I don't see why collectors would want to make up false info for the matrix in general. The anecdotal evidence was for the 30b's for the first 12/20 characters where there are only single examples that have been seen. Otherwise, I do tend to ask for a picture before updating the matrix.

I thought following the kellerman matrix style of not differentiating between cardback and MOC was much easier to maintain and to verify. The kellerman matrix does include figure variations though, so maybe I should think about adding those. Would be god to have a large head han on there and a vinyl cape jawa entry for example. Also luke blond, brown etc.

Jason

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
Good God Gaz, I didn't know the Bespin Leia was a possible one of a kind,although as you say we don't know what else it out there. I would have fleeced you if I knew that :-D
Seriously though, I was just glad I could help you out a little

Oh and Andy, the 45b Hammerhead and LXW were both mine that I sold on ebay,beginning to wish I had kept them now knowing how rare they may be....

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
mr_palitoy said:

Dengar
Ugnaught

Leia Organa Bespin Gown (Gary found this MOC recently, no examples had been seen up until then)
Leia Organa Hoth
Lobot
Sandpeople

Leia
Jawa
Snaggletooth

Jason

Thanks for the info J, as I am a Palitoy debut moc collector have never focused or shown a real interest in the 45b's but none the less very interesting and good to know! :wink:

Lucky Mr Smith!!! :p

Heith

Padawan
Thanks for the replies lads, luckily at the moment I'm not too fussed about the issues as long as they have the Palitoy logo on the front and again not really fussed about condition (although not too battered), but as a general rule of thumb I shouldnt be paying more than £200 for half decent examples? - again many thanks

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
palitoyjunky said:
mr_palitoy said:

Dengar
Ugnaught

Leia Organa Hoth
Lobot
Sandpeople

Leia
Jawa
Snaggletooth

Jason

Thanks for the info J, as I am a Palitoy debut moc collector have never focused or shown a real interest in the 45b's but none the less very interesting and good to know! :wink:

I suppose the only 45b I'd go for would be the Zuccuss.
Do you have a Palitoy import of that example Gary or do you have the domestic 45b??

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Zuckuss is one figure that we don't think existed as a palitoy 45b. The closest is a clipper 45 back with a palitoy sticker on the back of the card:-

http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy/esb45bcardback.htm

cheers Jason

spoons

Grand Master
Heith said:
Thanks for the replies lads, luckily at the moment I'm not too fussed about the issues as long as they have the Palitoy logo on the front and again not really fussed about condition (although not too battered), but as a general rule of thumb I shouldnt be paying more than £200 for half decent examples? - again many thanks

The 45b don't have the logo, a few of the 45a (with logo) can be had for less than £100 but if you want to seriously collect cards with logos I'd set a budget of £400 average

Lee Gregory - I think you did well getting those prices, I love the 45b but to most collectors they are of no interest, I bet your two went to focus collectors

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
palitoyjunky said:
palitoyjunky said:
mr_palitoy said:

Dengar
Ugnaught

Leia Organa Hoth
Lobot
Sandpeople

Leia
Jawa
Snaggletooth

Jason

I suppose the only 45b I'd go for would be the Zuccuss.
Do you have a Palitoy import of that example Gary or do you have the domestic 45b??

Yeh I was 90% sure a domestic 45b card back has as yet not shown its face so yeh chances are it does not exist and never did!
Take it it's not easy to get the Dutch import??

sith-smith

Grand Master
I have both a Dutch and Kenner Zuckuss with the Palitoy sticker on the back 8)

If you really weren;t mega fussed on condition, as long as they were sealed and had the Palitoy logo, you are still looking at some hefty money and a long period of time.

Take for example the first 10 ESB characters. I'd consider (though feel free to disagree, makes for a more interesting discussion) The following Cardbacks to be the easiest to get them on...

Lando...30a/b
HRS 45a, then maybe 30a
Luke Bespin. 30a
Leia Bespin 30a/b 41 probably close
Han Hoth 41 back
Fx7 41 back
IG 88 41 back
Bossk 30a/b
HST 41 back
WBG 30b, though the 45a may be close.

I'd be surprised if, in reasonable condition, any of those would be £200, especially considering the current prices some have been hitting. Though not in any particular order, I'd reckon the last 5 are the toughest. I reckon the Bossk would be £1k+. 41 back are generally cheaper than 30 backs, but they are hitting some sill prices at the moment. None of those above are currently 'easy' to pick up though and will take time.

Then there's the next set of Ten with the Fett. Anywhere between 1 and 2K.

Then out of the last run, you've got some of the easiest TFP, R2, BBG, AT AT com, 4-Lom. But try CCP, Luke Hoth and C3P0!! And these are all only available on the 45a!

A complete set of ESB characters on Palitoy cards is certainly very tough, though by no means impossible.

A £400 average seems far more likely, though with some luck you may get quite a few below that. Again, condition will help as will not being too concerned about the cardback (i.e. 30, 41 etc.)

I think time will be the bigger issue. It will probably take ages! But who knowns for sure.

You never though of going for the 20 SW Character run?

Heith

Padawan
sith-smith said:
I have both a Dutch and Kenner Zuckuss with the Palitoy sticker on the back 8)

If you really weren;t mega fussed on condition, as long as they were sealed and had the Palitoy logo, you are still looking at some hefty money and a long period of time.

Take for example the first 10 ESB characters. I'd consider (though feel free to disagree, makes for a more interesting discussion) The following Cardbacks to be the easiest to get them on...

Lando...30a/b
HRS 45a, then maybe 30a
Luke Bespin. 30a
Leia Bespin 30a/b 41 probably close
Han Hoth 41 back
Fx7 41 back
IG 88 41 back
Bossk 30a/b
HST 41 back
WBG 30b, though the 45a may be close.

I'd be surprised if, in reasonable condition, any of those would be £200, especially considering the current prices some have been hitting. Though not in any particular order, I'd reckon the last 5 are the toughest. I reckon the Bossk would be £1k+. 41 back are generally cheaper than 30 backs, but they are hitting some sill prices at the moment. None of those above are currently 'easy' to pick up though and will take time.

Then there's the next set of Ten with the Fett. Anywhere between 1 and 2K.

Then out of the last run, you've got some of the easiest TFP, R2, BBG, AT AT com, 4-Lom. But try CCP, Luke Hoth and C3P0!! And these are all only available on the 45a!

A complete set of ESB characters on Palitoy cards is certainly very tough, though by no means impossible.

A £400 average seems far more likely, though with some luck you may get quite a few below that. Again, condition will help as will not being too concerned about the cardback (i.e. 30, 41 etc.)

I think time will be the bigger issue. It will probably take ages! But who knowns for sure.

You never though of going for the 20 SW Character run?

Hmm, thats food for thought, excuse the ignorance because I only thought the first 12 went for over 1k for good examples :oops: , still got a lot to learn but looks like I'm in the best place for lessons!, dont know if that last line was a wind up but are they generally easier to find than ESB cards?, sorry but I'm a real newbie here

sith-smith

Grand Master
Don't apologise at all. I was a complete newbie once with Palitoy stuff. In many areas I still am.

My personal feelings are that you can put together a set of the first 12 or 20 quicker than you will a set of ESB cards. A very brief eBay search threw up more SW cards than ESB. Though admittedly a lot were very overpriced reseals. I know of far more complete sets of the first 20 than I do of the ESB characters.

There are many of the ESB characters which would go for 1k+ should nice examples show up, but a lot depends on the cardback. 30 backs are still the most popular, and have been for around the last 10 years or so.

Luckily you don't seem that concerned by the cardback number, more whether it has the logo. That can save you a lot.

lessen the quality of the card, you'd be saving more.

But, it is going to take a lot of waiting. They have never shown up regularly in all the years I've been collecting Palitoy. You'd get the ocassional point when a collector would sell of a whole load, but they were rare highpoints in a relatively quiet market.

Hope that helps, but please feel free to ask more.

e30318is

Sith Lord
Gary can I interject here and ask, what would the following sell for in c7ish fully sealed condition:
Jawa:
30 back
41 back
45 back

All Palitoy logo'd cards.

I assume these are all very tough to find, as I haven't even seen a cardback for sale in the last three years.

Cheers

sith-smith

Grand Master
30 back, never seen.

45a £800+
41 £900+

Though this is largely guess work as I have not seen any of these for sale in a long time. Especially the 41 back, of which I only know of one

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom