Can anybody help? I've hit a brick wall!

ANTneTOM

Hello,

Please bear with me on this... A valuation may be a little optimistic. To be honest, it's more help and advice I am looking for.

I have an original Return of the Jedi LP soundtrack. It is slightly dog-earred due to age but has been in a protective sleeve since I purchased it 15 years ago and plays well. There is a sticker on it which was a price label, which is annoying!

What makes it of value - potentially - is that is has a gold, foil deboss saying 'Promotional copy not for resale', which is why I purchased it.

However, on closer inspection there is a gramatical and quite funny spelling mistake on the record's label itself.

The track 'At the court of Jabba the Hutt' actually reads 'At the court of the Jabba the Butt'

I have been looking around for any reference to this anywhere for the past 6 months (since moving home and rediscvoering it) and cannot find any reference anywhere.

Even a Google search in qutoes for "At the court of the Jabba the Butt" brings back ZERO results!!!

Hence trying your forum...

Hopefully the link below to a tweet I sent with the picture in it will work?

https://twitter.com/AntScarborough/status/620918716839133184

Again, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ant!

ANTneTOM

Ok - I have searched for the code which is on the cover...

rso deluxe rss 5023 (811 767-1)

I have found on reference online but this does not mention the promo version, nor the label misprint which I am guessing is just on the promo version?

itfciain

Grand Master
The Court of Jabba the Butt sounds like one of Todd's special films

It is a pretty cool find - in terms of rarity, Google is normally your friend so if you can't find much info then there probably isn't much out there - I am not even sure who collects / knows much about these - you could try someone like Dave Tree if it was a UK release

cantinos

Padawan
Hi Antnetom,
heres a link to the Discogs master release page of the return of the jedi. If you check the country of origin and the serial numbers, you can match up your copy from the list.
As for the promo sticker, Its much better to have it printed on the sleeve then a sticker.
Never heard of the typo before so could be rare.

http://www.discogs.com/John-Williams-Return-Of-The-Jedi-The-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/master/55429

ANTneTOM

Thank you...

This is the exact copy based on the serial number...

http://www.discogs.com/John-William...The-Original-Motion-Picture-S/release/2222455

...Howewver, as mentioned it is the promitional copy of this album. It's not a sticker, it's a 'proper' gold foil block deboss on the sleeve.

The sticker reference was becuase it is not mint and there's a price sticker on it.

Again, the one in the link that was sold to the public also doesn't have the spelling (BUTT) and gramatical mistake (Too many 'the')...

Let's see if this works:

CJ3OWVdWgAApZ7-.jpg

ANTneTOM

I'm hoping commenting on my original thread will awaken this conversation and bring it back infront of anyone out there that may be able to help.

I have since been in touch with a number of rare record collectors and no one has any record of the LP. They obviously have the original but there's not record of the promo copy or the spelling mistake.

Any thoughts anyone?

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Promo copies of vinyl/records and later CDs are not actually that rare at all. Generally speaking every decent sized radio station will have received one (or at least been able to request one), most will have received multiple copies. My dad was a local/regional DJ for decades (Radio Stoke, Radio WM, Signal Radio, Radio Shropshire) and had a weekly parcel delivered to him of promo stuff, every station also had (I used to get to rifle through as a kid) a large room of promo records that were available to use by the staff or simply take home if you liked.

Along side them, the buyers at all decent sized retailers will have also received (at least one, but likely) multiple advanced copies.

Of course they will be in smaller numbers than a standard production run and the spelling mistake will add interest, but I don't think you will be sitting on a nest egg here.

I'm pretty sure that Grant C spoke to a big Star Wars music collector on the Vintage Rebellion Podcast, might be worth PM him for a contact?

Good luck!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom