Breaking my collection???

Jez

Sith Lord
Guys, what's the best way to get valuations on app 80 MOCs?

Jules and i have been living in a military house almost my whole career and we have found a house for sale which we've fallen in love with and will be perfect for the family as its close to my next RAF station and between the 2 likely RAF bases i'll be working at in the future, and really close to the kids school and commutable for Jules' hospital job. Being in Oxford though it's stretching us to the point that i'd have to sell the carded and bootleg collection. I'd keep the loose and sentimental items but need to sell to get a deposit together.
It may be that our offer on the house gets turned down and we stay living in a military house, but changing jobs next this month does force another house move upon us and we are getting fed up with the lack of stability. With the kids now processing to senior school this is the right time to settle down as i want to afford them stability and consistency.
Houses in Oxford/Watlington are just so bloody expensive!

I have pretty good ideas for the general MOCs (every one has an acrylic case) but it's the; Top Toys Stormtrooper, Harbert R2 (C1P8),
Luke Farmboy, 2 Pack, Proof, Popy, ROTJ Kenner Fett, LL Biker Scout, Walking Luke Bespin 31Bk ESB, POTF Luke Stormtrooper, Lando and Luke Poncho, Amanaman, ESB Han & Leia, Graded Vader, Palitoy 85 BBG, cards etc that i'm not 100% sure on.

ESB 32 Canadian Yoda
Luke XW Tri Logo
Luke XW POTF
Luke XW 79
Luke XW 77
Luke 65 AFA 80
Luke XW Revenge Proof AFA 85
Luke XW 2 Pack (with Weequay)
Luke XW Popy complete and in display case
Luke XW 20
Luke XW 21
Luke XW Palitoy 45B UKG 75
Luke ESB 45 German Reseal (extremely rare, no weapon, reseal failing but extremely hard to find)
Luke XW 41 Slight Crack
SW 12 Harbert C1P8 UKG 70
ROTJ 17 Back Tops Toys UKG 80 Stormtrooper
ROTJ 65 Takara Chief Chirpa
SW 12 Tuscan 12
SW 21 DSD 21
SW 21 Hammerhead 21
ESB 45A BBG Palitoy UKG 85
ESB 41 Fixed 3PO
ESB 31 Walking Luke Bespin slight tear at hangar tab
ESB 41 Luke Farm Boy bubble great, card creased
ESB 41 Imp Commander
ESB 45 Leia Organa
ESB 45 Han Solo
ESB 48 CCP
ESB 41 Leia Hoth Water Damage to card
ESB 41 21B CC Pop sliced at back, not viewable from the front
ROTJ 65 AT AT Commander
ROTJ 48 Rebel Commander
ROTJ 65 Tie Fighter Pilot - rough card
ROTJ 77 PD
ROTJ 77 Teebo
ROTJ 77 Luke Hoth
ROTJ 77 Luke Jedi
ROTJ 65 Ben
ROTJ 65 Chewbacca
ROTJ 77 Han Trench mint
ROTJ 77 Prune Face
ROTJ 77 AT AT Driver cracked
ROTJ 77 Admiral Ackbar
ROTJ 77 Rebel Commando
ROTJ 65 Short Mouth LL Biker Scout
ROTJ 65 Boba Fett mint Bubble, card creased
ROTJ 79 Leia Bousch
ROTJ 79 Klaatu Skiff
ROTJ 65 Bib Fortuna
ROTJ 65 Gam Guard
ROTJ 65 Ree Yees
ROTJ 77 PBP Walrusman on a Made in Spain card
ROTJ 77 Greedo UKG Y80
ROTJ 77 Bossk
ROTJ 65 Logray Palitoy
ROTJ 65 ERG
ROTJ 65 Madine
ROTJ 77 Vader UKG Y80
ROTJ 79 MIM Paploo
ROTJ 77 Han Bespin
ROTJ 65 Leia Bespin (some card damage)
ROTJ 77 IG88 UKG 85
ROTJ 65 Zuckass
ROTJ 77 Dengar mint
ROTJ 48 4Lom cracked at base
ROTJ 77 Weequay
ROTJ 77 8D8
ROTJ 77 Rancor Keeper
ROTJ 77 Klaatu
ROTJ 77 Squid Head rough card
POTF Luke Stormtrooper
POTF Barada mint
POTF Amanaman bubble squashed but not cracked
POTF Luke Poncho mint
POTF Lando General mint
POTF Leia Endor mint
Tri Han Carbonite AFA 80
Tri Lumat
Tri AT AT Driver
Tri Lando Skiff
Tri Nikto
Tri B-Wing Pilot

Most are visible in my showcase thread. I'll add proper descriptions and photos if i am forced to sell.

This is in no way a sales thread. I just need to have a rough idea of what i'm looking at. I'm not interested in any sales at the mo as this house deal may fall through and i'll be stuck with no home of our own and no collection. I'd just like to know in advance so if it comes to it i know if a table at Farthest From is needed!

Thanks in advance

walkie

Sith Lord
No ideas on MOC pricing sorry but very interested in the Luke Stormie POTF moc once you get some prices on it.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Such a shame you have to sell up. But if it gets you the stability of a home then it's worth it. Took us six years to save for a deposit and stamp duty so if you can do it from selling your stuff it's got to be done. I only recently got back into collecting as every penny had to go into saving for our place for what seemed like forever. You can always pick it back up once you're sorted. Good luck man.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
I do hope it does not com to you having to sell my friend, but at least it would be for the right reasons, kids do much better in a stable environment, very big of you being willing to part with your collection for their benefit Jez, I have everything crossed for you.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
You can replace a collection, in the future, but your kids and family are paramount, after all that's why we are here.
Being a grounded father and sensible in your outlook, providing stability and a future for your family is something to be very, very proud of Jez 8)

Genuinely wish you the best of luck in what your doing mate :wink:

maxf

Jedi Master
Don't worry about it or feel bad for a second mate - it's one of those things, and some stability and a 'home' is really key to a happy life (imo). You can always start getting a few pieces again when the dust (and big bills) settles.

I sold up in 2010 and bought my first place - took a few years to get back to the point where I was happy to spend money collecting, but it came back. It was a good opportunity to collect things I'd never had before, so rather than re-collecting, it was a (somewhat) new journey and a rest was really quite nice too.

Without getting all political, if you're in the military, you shouldnt have to pay full stamp duty anyway - it's the least they could do!

Good luck with the house offer. Fingers crossed for you.

Joe

Grand Master
Sucks to see you having to break up your collection but if the funds will be going towards the costs of buying a house then it seems like the thing to do. All the best Jez, good luck with the house purchase & move and I hope you get what you want out of your collection!

lejackal

Grand Master
Best of luck with everything Jez, I've every confidence things will work out for the best whatever happens - you've got your priorities absolutely spot on!

Carl

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Sorry to read this Jez, had to do the same to pay the stamp duty when we bought a couple of years back.

Sorry to be the voice of reason, but a collections value and what you can quickly liquidate it for are two different things. You will not sell 80 carded figures at one event unless prices are stupidly cheap. You have some great items but also a lot that are hard to sell for good money (eg the Kenner 77 backs) so if you're looking for a quick sale cash value, you need to prepare yourself for well under market value - perhaps 40-50% which is a common "trade price."

Two bits of advice - don't sell anything you can't replace, and sell the expensive but easy to replace (eg 12 back luke) first. It's the £1000 MOCs that will dent a deposit, not the £25 ones! Then if you still need to sell the rest in bulk to a dealer.

Good luck!

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Jez, I hope you do have to sell up, mate, because it's for such an amazing purchase. You have one hell of a MOC collection and it is always hard to part with such things but equally by selling it means you are ending up with your own place which is awesome. You've listed the benefits and they're numerous. Once you've taken the hit and absorbed the initial cost you can start off on your journey again.

Wise words form Edd, I think. I've broken up one of my other collections before and although on paper I was looking at a tidy sum in reality selling the items was a slow process and reaped less than I thought it would as I had to drop prices to sell. And, again as Edd says, take the big items first to get you towards your target and then worry about the smaller stuff. That way you have to do the least work to get the most money and it also means you may find you get to your target and still have a decent quantity left over you don't have to sell.

That said, I think you'd do well with the lower and medium end stuff at FF as you were planning. Everyone loves a cheap MOC to go home with! I think you'll do well there and even if it means getting 25% less than you would on eBay, once you've taken fees into account and the immense saving of time in packing and dealing with the fool buyers eBay attracts that 25% is going to look like a gift.

As for valuations, I really don't know about Kenner stuff, I'm afraid. From your list I'd hazard a go at the following valuations:

Top Toys Stormtrooper - £400-£500 depending on condition
2 Pack - £100-£160 (all about the condition!)
LL Biker Scout - (presumably on a MIM card? - Valuation depends on whether packed with Kenner or darker LL weapon) - £130-£170
POTF Luke Stormtrooper - If nice condition I think this has to be around £400 now?
Lando - £100-£120
Luke Poncho - £100- £120
Amanaman - £130-£160
Palitoy 45A BBG AFA85 - £140 (It's a 90-100 MOC but given it's got an 85 grade someone will pay that. Maybe less if the bubble is very yellow which is common on them)

Those are the only ones I'd be fairly confident in pricing, mate. I have no idea about rarity of the Kenner card backs so will steer clear.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
You're breaking everyone's hearts Jez but I can totally see where you're coming from. For me, the joy of your collection is how well it's displayed as much as the contents. Here's hoping your new place will have enough room for an even better display!

I dug out a 2015 price list for some revenge proofs and luke xwing is around the £1200 mark but these can be pretty volatile.

Your 2 pack is an unusual combo so I'd image the top end of Simons estimate.

Jedi fetts are around £300-350 for the desert scene, sorry but I don't know if the fireball commands a premium on that.

I can help with the jabbas goons as I bought most of these in the last year as well as a few trilogos if you need help there.

Jez

Sith Lord
Lads thanks for all of your considered comments and valuations.
The house situation isn't 100% sorted yet, we decided against the house in question (it didn't feel right on second viewing) but we have since found another that will do the job for the next 5-10 years (the amount of time I'll probably stay in the RAF). We get the stability we need and will have a home of our own. I'm hoping we get it.

If and when we move from here I'll have a nice house in a nice area which I can sell to get a bigger better deal somewhere else. I will keep my loose and maybe a MOC or 2 but do need some cash freed up.

Ed, thanks for the advice and words of warning. I agree that it'll be tough to shift that many cards that fast. I'd price fairly at FF with the added bonus of no postage and a free acrylic case so that may help the cheaper ones.
I agree letting the big ones go would be the best bet. I already have genuine interest in the Harbert.
I think I'd do both the August and Dec FF.

Simon, thanks for your words and stab at a valuation. I've had a few others by PM which are similar, except for the BBG Palitoy. I've had valuations of over double that. Being a 45A it has the logo so some do go wild for it. Personally before the valuations came in I thought about £210.

ClarkesPie, thanks very much for your valuations. The Luke Stormtrooper is fairly creased so I think it'll be worth less but thank you.

Thanks again

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Jez said:
The house situation isn't 100% sorted yet, we decided against the house in question (it didn't feel right on second viewing) but we have since found another that will do the job for the next 5-10 years (the amount of time I'll probably stay in the RAF). We get the stability we need and will have a home of our own. I'm hoping we get it.

If and when we move from here I'll have a nice house in a nice area which I can sell to get a bigger better deal somewhere else. I will keep my loose and maybe a MOC or 2 but do need some cash freed up.

Ed, thanks for the advice and words of warning. I agree that it'll be tough to shift that many cards that fast. I'd price fairly at FF with the added bonus of no postage and a free acrylic case so that may help the cheaper ones.
I agree letting the big ones go would be the best bet. I already have genuine interest in the Harbert.
I think I'd do both the August and Dec FF.

Simon, thanks for your words and stab at a valuation. I've had a few others by PM which are similar, except for the BBG Palitoy. I've had valuations of over double that. Being a 45A it has the logo so some do go wild for it. Personally before the valuations came in I thought about £210.

ClarkesPie, thanks very much for your valuations. The Luke Stormtrooper is fairly creased so I think it'll be worth less but thank you.

Thanks again

Oops, sorry mate, didn't mean to undersell it :) I've had two 45A BBGs from here (same chap, actually): paid about £90 for the first one (small stem split) and £110 for the second (mintier than mint). That was around 9-12 months ago but it's about as common a 45A as you can find. I guess it's the AFA factor adding the extra and I'm probably not the best to comment on that :D

Best of luck with this second property. Will start saving my pennies for FF and a couple of the pieces you've listed!

maxf

Jedi Master
Jez said:

We're just all being nice so we can descend on you for a BBQ when you've moved in ;)

Bootyhunter

Jedi Master
Jez as you know I did a similar thing a couple of years ago, it'll all be worth it once you are settled in and you see the kids enjoying your new home.
good luck I hope you get the place you want

Jez

Sith Lord
Thanks once again lads for everyones kind words and PMs.

I have had an offer accepted on a property which will suit us really well and offer my family the stability that i want to give them therefore i will be breaking this collection up. http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9112
Breaking this up will be a hard thing to do so i won't be doing really silly low prices, i'm not a dealer and can't afford to do 'mates rates' or i wouldn't be selling. Having said that everything which i sell will be at FF and comes complete with the reassurance of holding it in hand first of all and with an acrylic case.
I certainly don't want to charge over the odds though. I have taken on board what people are suggesting are fair prices and Iain has kindly offered to provide me with valuations as has Nick.

Finally, i have to much Star Wars in me to get rid of it all. I think we can afford to do this by selling my non LXW MOCs, therefore i will be keeping the lose figures and the LXW collection.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom