Non sonic welded LXW

Afternoon all, after selling most of my collection to help pay for home improvements and a new arrival in feb, the enevitable happened and I started again. Ive now found myself with this. Looks like a non sonic welded lxw. Im not crazy and dont think its a prototype, but wondered if anyone can tell me more about it and a rough value so see if its worth having protected etc. The date stamp is 1978 hong kong and there are no signs of glue etc, it just falls apart. The face does look hand painted though. Thanks

Attachments

• 1480855644587-1083975858.jpg
    1480855644587-1083975858.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 788
  • 1480855690328-1075930510.jpg
    1480855690328-1075930510.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 786
  • 1480855755940690218180.jpg
    1480855755940690218180.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 794

Jez

Sith Lord
Thanks Grant.
First of all Mike I'd love to buy this so all I can suggest to you are facts as I know them.
I've seen 2 sell this year. The first sold on eBay for £11 the day after the referendum.
The second was incorrectly listed on eBay as a First Shot. It was listed for £40 and didn't sell. I informed the seller that it wasn't a First Shot but he still resisted it as a Non Sonic Welded Test Piece/First Shot for £29.99. It sold to a single bidder.

So, listed as a NSW LXW £11
Listed as a NSW LXW test/First Shot £29.99

Does that help?

If you do decide to sell please bear me in mind. It would be a bit of a milestone for me actually buying something :)

Cheers

Thanks. I would consider selling it, but only when I know a little more about it. I dont want to pass up something good. If I did sell, I would also be interested in a trade.

So what exactly is it? Factory error, overstock? So what is a fair value and did the items on ebay in your opinion go cheap or is that what its worth £10-40?

Jez

Sith Lord
Hi Mike I'm trying to wait for others to chime in as I don't really think I should influence you as I'm an interested party.

However if I were listing it I'd say it was a non sonic Welded factory error. It's nothing more than that.

The last (non misleading NSW LXW) sold on eBay for £11. I was interested in bidding but completely forgot as it was the day after the referendum so I was distracted. Maybe others were also?? Therefore it could/would have sold for a bit more.

As I'm keen (declared from the offset) I'll step back at this point. Maybe others have a different point of view.

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
Taken in consideration the condition and pass eBay auctions I'd say £30-£35 is a fair price for both a buyer and a seller these are not rocken horse sh** and come up for sale more regularly than you think.... would make a lovely edition to someone's collection tho :)

Joe

Grand Master
It's always a good idea to be sure that any "NSW" figure hasn't been forced apart. It's hard to tell from pictures but a true "NON" sonic welded figure should have no broken tabs or signs of ever being fused together with the other torso half. Easier to tell in hand just by running your finger around it.

On this LXW I can see what appears to be some notches/missing bits of plastic at the bottom which may indicate it was once sealed and has been cracked open (either by accident by a kid or on purpose by a collector) so my advice is to take some really good close up images of those areas just in case.

In truth, 90% of the NSW figures that are out there are just weak seals that have come apart over time but obviously they are fun and people like these kinds of things as oddities/curiosities. I think most people would prefer a clean example that has literally just fallen apart over one that was forced apart though.

Thanks for opinions. It seems it isnt going to affect the value, but I do think this is a non sonic welded factory error but im a newbie. There doesnt seem to be any notches etc, just a smooth edge all the way round. Happy to take some more pics though. Jez .... you have pm.

yoda

Sith Lord
Yes I agree closeup pictures will help valuation. It's hard to see with your current pictures.

theguiltyone

Sith Lord
IMO it just fell apart, not uncommon.
Too much (play)wear on the figure to indicate it is anything else, again IMO.

marc

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Agree with Marc. Clearly been well played with. NSW factory error and not more than that.

I'd say it has a novelty value of £15. I don't get why it would be more than the less worn one that sold (with a misleading description!) at £29.99, cardbackkid? That guy was taking the piss calling it a "first shot" and either the buyer was taken in or thought that it was worth a gamble given the price being asked.

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Agree with Marc. Clearly been well played with. NSW factory error and not more than that.

I'd say it has a novelty value of £15. I don't get why it would be more than the less worn one that sold (with a misleading description!) at £29.99, cardbackkid? That guy was taking the piss calling it a "first shot" and either the buyer was taken in or thought that it was worth a gamble given the price being asked.

Sorry I assumed this was a non sonic welded figure and not a broken figure that's falling apart ... is a genuine non sonic welded figure worth roughly about £30-£40 ?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Cardbackkid said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:

Sorry I assumed this was a non sonic welded figure and not a broken figure that's falling apart ... is a genuine non sonic welded figure worth roughly about £30-£40 ?

Fair play. But I think the joker who had sold the one described as a "first shot" had a genuinely unwelded one, like this one, but in better condition.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom