unpainted eyes Sy Snootles factory error ?

shooshkebob

Youngling
I have a Sy Snootles Hong Kong COO figure with unpainted eyes. Cant find any info on it online so was wondering if this was a rare factory error or nothing particularly special?
I'm not much clued up on all the different collectable factory errors so interested in people's thoughts.

Thanks!
:)
2016-12-17 21.56.56.jpg
2016-12-17 21.56.22.jpg

MarkG

Jedi Master
Hard to say if this is a genuine factory error or someone has just removed the paint... very easy to do.

shooshkebob

Youngling
MarkG said:
Hard to say if this is a genuine factory error or someone has just removed the paint... very easy to do.
Yeah I've had an imperial guard figure where the visor was unpainted but you could tell it was from wear or other as there were very tiny residual flecks of black visible when viewed under an eye glass.
This doesn't have that. I personally think it's likely a genuine factory error but I'm also very open to other viewpoints cause I'm no expert also.
I've found one other example of the unpainted eye snootles and a small reference to its existence in an article I haven't been able to locate again, frustratingly, but it's possible versions exist current unrecorded.
Just curious more than anything!
I'm assuming if removing paint from figures was commonplace, a lot of unpainted factory errors would be being faked no? Or are they?

MarkG

Jedi Master
People have been removing paint for years, it's not something new.

Leia Boushh helmets was the most common one as a genuine unpainted one was going for good money. People have now turned to paint stripping C-3PO & DSD and passing them off as protoypes etc.

As Sy only had minimal paint on the eyes, it wouldn't be too difficult to remove it.

shooshkebob

Youngling
Yeah I guess I could see that. But I gather there is still a possibility of it being a genuine error as well.
After all, just cause it's currently an undocumented error doesn't mean it's non existent right?
Is there a way of telling genuine errors over fakes?
I'm not plugging for it or looking for some sort of financial windfall by any means. I got it awhile back with the rest of the band and was just interested to find more info on it.
I guess if there's not much info out there on it, it just is what it is!

MarkG

Jedi Master
In cases like these, especially if there is very little paint in those areas, proving they are genuine factory errors is hard to call.

If this was sealed in it's original baggie, then there is no doubt it's a factory error.. but with the amount of variations etc etc out there, it's a 50/50 chance.

shooshkebob

Youngling
steve obi wan said:
I am not sure there is a queue of people waiting on this variant IMO

Back in the day , we called it used :lol:
Ha ha yeah I know. I actually quite like it. I was just being inquisitive.
It's a funny thing what makes something coveted and not just an anomaly. Makes you wonder what dictates the desirability of a piece in the first place. Obviously rarity is a factor, but at some point it's recognised, get enough folk who decide they want it and it somehow snowballs into the crazy prices we see today!

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
shooshkebob said:
steve obi wan said:
I am not sure there is a queue of people waiting on this variant IMO

Back in the day , we called it used :lol:
Ha ha yeah I know. I actually quite like it. I was just being inquisitive.
It's a funny thing what makes something coveted and not just an anomaly. Makes you wonder what dictates the desirability of a piece in the first place. Obviously rarity is a factor, but at some point it's recognised, get enough folk who decide they want it and it somehow snowballs into the crazy prices we see today!

Good luck :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom